Author Topic: Exhaust Effects  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
Exhaust Effects
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
I know the faster you go the more every little this has an effect.

My exhaust is wide open and pointed directly out the right side.

At what speed can I expect the force of the exhaust to have an effect of the steering and begin to steer me to the left ????

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Exhaust Effects
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
Actually it will pull you to the right... if you want to test it tape a 2 ft 2x4 to the rear peg.... you should probably feel it at less than 100...  but don't worry, it probably won't be enough to cause a major problem

(and if that doesn't get Jack to post nothing will)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:14:23 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
The 2x4 analogy seems questionable to me . The exhaust gas is independent of the bike once it leaves the pipe . More air turbulence on the exhaust side yes .

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »
Interesting, I did not think of the turbulence the exhaust was creating could produce a pull.  I have been trying to figure out a left drift when I leave the line the reduces as I go faster then disappears all together at around 80mph.  My though was that at low speeds maybe the exhaust pointing out the right side was causing me to tip slightly to the left.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »
Interesting, I did not think of the turbulence the exhaust was creating could produce a pull. 

Not the exhaust turbulance but the added frontal area and surface area in the air on the side with the pipe hanging out adds drag on that side.

Check your rear swingarm and axle for play and how well you rear wheel lines up overall, just to be sure. At lower speeds you are also in a lower gear and can put more force down.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
If I am correct the swing arm issue may not apply here. I think Roland runs a street luge(sp) at WoS.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JimL

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
Rear tire question...are you using a front tire on the rear?  If you run it with the arrows in direction of rotation, it gets more conicity until speed is up.  Not a problem on a front wheel, but can make the rear tire thrust line move under power.  I run mine backwards, on the rear, because that's what a Dunlop engineer told me to do.

Don't know why it works, but it's ok.