Author Topic: To Wilmington from I64 via I77 from the south.  (Read 2088 times)

Offline greenjunk

To Wilmington from I64 via I77 from the south.
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
I drove the route from NC to Wilmington OH.  For those of you who have not driven this section of road before here are some details

The sections from NC through the tunnels into WV are fine just mountainous long climbs, keep an eye on the transtemp.

The Section between Beckley and Charleston on i77 is a toll road at $2 a shot for 2 axles, and there are 3-4 at this rate.  Even though its a toll road its not what I would call a premium stretch of highway.  I was driving my wifes mini and was literally airborne on some of the bumps.  It extremely windy (turning) and lots of elevation change.  The truck lanes on the uphills are what i would call unbearable. choose the middle lane.

Once you're through Charleston and you switch to i64 West.  Get off at exit 40 US35N.  This road is 4 lanes nearly the entire way and is fresh and smooth new pavement.  There is one 14 mile stretch from Buffalo WV to the just south of the OH state line that is 2 lanes. I've included the Google link to that stretch of road.  http://g.co/maps/yupk3  This is what you would call not so great.  The traffic is heavier, and slower.  The North Bound lane doesn't look too bad, but the South bound lane has more patches than an award winning quilt, its very rough, lots of pot holes, expect to take your time on the way home.  Once you're into OH it is smooth sailing all the way to wilmington, its a great stretch of highway and there are also 2 rest areas on this stretch.

The great part about the entire stretch of US35 is there are 0 STOP LIGHTS so you can keep moving.  Thats right, no lights your whole trip.  If you have any other specific questions let me know, I'll try to answer them.  Diesel is around $4.20 a gallon the whole way.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: To Wilmington from I64 via I77 from the south.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
Mr. Junk, thanks for the info. getting ready to put the trans cooler on the Durango for the haul.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
The Section between Beckley and Charleston on i77 is a toll road at $2 a shot for 2 axles, and there are 3-4 at this rate.  Even though its a toll road its not what I would call a premium stretch of highway.  I was driving my wifes mini and was literally airborne on some of the bumps. 

That "WV Turnpike" is notorious for its shoddy construction. I think some politicians & contractors went to jail over that construction years ago.

Regards,  Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
I've made that trip as far as Columbus and I'd agree with Dave's assessment.  All in all, not bad from NC.  The Dakota had his hands full pulling the trailer back over the mountains with a load of mezzanine (about the weight of a car in structural steel) so I got a newer, bigger truck to support this trip.  Of course, now there's no money for the race car........

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer