Author Topic: Bakersfield meet  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Bakersfield meet
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
I see where Rick White and a funny car was disqualified and lost there points because of illegal over size fule pumps. This was found in post inspections. It's a bummer to get caught.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

Re: Bakersfield meet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
I don't think so. If you use parts knowingly that will not pass inspection and get caught its your problem.

There is a lot of cheating going on in those nostalgia classes. IMy friend Floyd drives/drove a top fuel car and he passed on a lot of the stuff being done such as oversize fuel pumps in legal housings, hopped up mags in otherwise legal housings, etc.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
DW, I agree that cheating sucks and I knows it goes on in all motor sports. I should have said embarrassing and having everyone look at you that way.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Yup, I really hate cheaters. Last year I misenterpeted a rule, my air intake tubes were stuck out too far. I was tossed out of impound from a qualifying run. Hacksawed the tubes to the legal length and set a record. I have always tried to stay out of those grey areas. There was no performance or aero advantage. But they looked really cool. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
Fred,

After the record I will bet that the modified tubes looked better than the longer ones presented originally.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:52:44 PM »
Everything always looks better after setting a record, even if they don't. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »
Glen, I spoke with Rick today, Their pissit off, Four compeditenrs fuel pumps were taken "randomly" after the race.Three of the four Flowed to much. Rick's being one of them. Now this is the intresting part, Rick's and the Funny Car Winner's both were flowed by the sanctioning body last year, both pumps passed and were sealed like Dan Warner does for the SCTA. Sanctioning agrees that neither seal was tampered with yet magicly these pump flow more now than a year ago. I make my living in the industiral pump world, and work on postive displacment pumps now and again, I have never had one get better with age.
So I ask if You met the rule 6 months ago, and Your pump is still sealed How can it be illegal? The sanctioning body won't even hear an appeal, Go figure. That's my two cents, I guess just venting, Grew up around Nolan and Rick, The Whites Never cheated at anything !
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:34 AM »
That sucks, Rick is a stand-up guy - there must be more than two sides to the story . . .
Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline fastman614

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
Hmmmm.... I know from having worked a lot with hydraulics that different test circumstances can affect the test results....I wonder how much exactly the flow rate did change from the test that showed the pump to be within legal limits to the more recent test that showed otherwise? I also wonder if the method of testing changed from the previous test.... whether they used the SAME liquid at the SAME temperature, whether their test bench was different, whether the RPMs at which the test was conducted varied etc.... and if they have a $9 per hour "expert" doing the test etc.

Personally, if it was me and I knew for a fact that the pump had NOT been tampered with, I would be attempting to "recreate" the test circumstances on my own and video the test as it was conducted .... and if I was actually legal, I would be doing what I could in order to be heard.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.