Author Topic: Tires? where to buy tires for high speed, makes, types, etc. 4 a Truck.  (Read 4755 times)

Offline chevydiesel

• New folks
I figured I'd be able to find good info on tires, but haven't.

Been looking at MH's website, Hoosier's website, and they don't really have high-speed tires like what is used on the Bonneville flats listed, specifically.

So...

Truck is a 1995 C1500, I figured on slender tires up front, just the ribbed variety, around a 26-27" diameter, but not sure on the rear at all. rear will likely be 28" tall.

I'm no stranger to drag racing radials, but wide tires don't work on salt,

Any recomendations on tires, sizing etc.

I really wanted to look at tires to figure out if I had to swap from the 16" rim/tire configuration to a 15" rim/tire configuration.

Thanks in advance.
95 GMC C1500 Extended Cab Short Bed 6.5L Compound Turbo Diesel - /DT /B

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Goodyear and MT tires are the key Bonneville tires. I think you can find them on the cover page of this site. Some people like the wide Daytona type tire most like the narrow Bonneville tire.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

I believe you'll have a hard time finding 16" tires.  And you probably would need to modify the rims you have any way.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

First time we ran V-rated (149mph) Speed Rated Toyo Proxies, about 32" dia, and about 12" wide.  These are OK to 200mph IIRC.

I sent one out Standard Testing Labs http://www.stllabs.com/testing.htm and had them tested at 215mph.  After 20 minutes, at 20% over full load, they had a minor failure, a "chunk" flew off, but the tire was intact.  At a normal run time, at normal weight, 215mph should be no problem.  IIRC, I told them 20 miles, but they did 20 minutes, or something like that.

HOWEVER, we also tested a "Y-Rated" tire (186mph factory supercar tire).  It exploded in 7 miles, and I do mean exploded.  WAY unsafe at 215 at truck weights.

The Toyo V-Rated worked well at both El Mirage and Bonneville, and were cheap.

To go over 200mph with a heavy vehicle (6000+ lb) you need to do your homework, or at least do some dyno testing.

We are now running Mickey Thompson Bonneville tires, 18" rim, 30" dia?  Very expensive, almost no rubber on them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:23:40 PM by McRat »

Plan B

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_092711.pdf

Bottom of the page. Note load ranges.

Offline chevydiesel

• New folks
Awesome info very quick.

McRat, are you running 4x4? I have the option of both (have two trucks, must make a choice).

J
95 GMC C1500 Extended Cab Short Bed 6.5L Compound Turbo Diesel - /DT /B

McRat

Awesome info very quick.

McRat, are you running 4x4? I have the option of both (have two trucks, must make a choice).

J

I believe 4x4 to be safer based on our 7 years of drag racing heavy pickups in 4x4, and 35 years drag racing RWD cars/trucks.

AFAIK though, 4x4 is illegal for diesel pickups.  If you want 4x4, you must start with a gas entry.  Gasoline has shorter molecules so they don't get tangled up in the front driveshaft.

I would start with your 2wd truck, as there is less friction.  And I don't mean driveline losses.

Offline dw230

A lesson well learned.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

Awesome info very quick.

J

I believe 4x4 to be safer based on our 7 years of drag racing heavy pickups in 4x4, and 35 years drag racing RWD cars/trucks.

AFAIK though, 4x4 is illegal for diesel pickups.  If you want 4x4, you must start with a gas entry.  Gasoline has shorter molecules so they don't get tangled up in the front driveshaft.

I would start with your 2wd truck, as there is less friction.  And I don't mean driveline losses.

I was sort of thinking more like into the knots of the front driveshafts of the some of the expert opinionators of which this site seems to have a sizable contingent....

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.