Author Topic: Top Posters  (Read 10857 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Top Posters
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
  Senator, err I mean Stainless, I know Jack Dolan and YOU ARE NO JACK DOLAN!
  Seriously, I hope Jack is doing better and I been meaning to call him.

Yes Bob, but that won't keep me from trying.... I too miss his wit and commentary here. 
Every now and then someone dredges up an old thread, I usually see a Jack post and get excited that he's jumped in,  then I see the date....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »
Looking at the list I realize that I really miss Jack's postings. Sometimes a real son-of-a-bitch, but brilliant otherwise. I learned a LOT from him.

Sumner's posts were always a good story.

How could you not miss Willie? There are a lot of "unique" individuals here, but Willie was truly unique. Makes me sad when I think of him.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
  Dean, your first paragraph should be made into a wall plaque.  I would (come on Slim) certainly proudly mount one on my living room wall.
  Also the same plaque should hang on the front of the Podium at all SCTA meetings.
  As far as Sumner, he set the Standard for posting pictures of his build with easy to understand explanations, even as he was learning himself (including mistakes that others on this site helped him rectify).
  Hopefully both Jack and Sumner will return soon.
  As for Stainless, although I put Stan ahead of him in the "imitation Jack" poll, he is a lot of fun to jab in the side when one is given a oportunity (who, Me?) and he as well as Stan and Freud are pretty darn good at serving it right back to those (who,Me?) sometimes deserve it.
  All of this senseless off topic chatter is what helps keep me from becoming suicidal when faced with another three months of Monsoon's here in the Great NorthWest.                Bob
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
Bob:

Don't forget the upcoming "chance of snow"!  The "chance of snow" last week left 8.5" on the beach in March! 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
You lucky guys!  Here in what used to be the Great White North -- where we would usually, at this time of year, have about 6 weeks of good winter left and about two or three months of sledding -- we're stuck with sunny and mid-60s.  It's so bad that I'm going to take the snow tires off Nancy's car this weekend.  They're a soft compound and the dry pavement is tearing them to shreds.  Come on, snow and ice -- we miss you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
  Slim, I am serious about the Plaque.  If you make them, I will buy two, and promptly send one to Jack.
  I encourage any other sick S.O.B.'s who admire a man with pure guts, to jump on the bandwagon.
  If I am the only one, I still want two.           Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
This is a selection of Jack's posts JUST FROM OUR BUILD DIARY, I harassed Freud to get in touch with him to see if he'd take visitors, then Simon and I visited Sammy and Jack in San Diego it was one of the highlights of our trip. I wanted to go and tell Jack how much he had inspired us and how much his input had helped us and kept us going.

here

Jan 24 2006:
A lifetime work is just that and deserves all the time you have
 over what ever length it takes for your satisfaction.
  Don't be consumed by it.
You are not playing to anybodys schedule but your own.
The idea is to get it ready for an event but never call it finished or you will be.

Jan 24 2006:
You guys are going to be vicious spectators that I wouldn't wish on anybody.
 Armed with a camera, a curious eye, and the time to use it.
 As part of your probation we expect a full report.
 Take a lot of pictures, we can turn them over when they get here.
How else are we going to know you were not just having fun while we have to stay home.
You must realize the blender deal is for medical use only, but you do have a Doctor and a Chaplain along.

Jan 31 2006(after what appeared to be  a naked picture of Dr Goggles was posted).......

The pictures were very inspirational and touched many hearts.
 Just this afternoon we have raised over $12k American and after I deduct my
usual fees we have enough left to get both of you in new clothing.
 Not any of that second hand stuff.
 We are going to put it with one of your regularly scheduled air drops every 3 months.
 We just missed the big Christmas deal but the first 1/4 will really go fast.
We hope that will help, actually we are really counting on it.
Jack wink

OBTW: BBB was a little concerned that it looks like you don't eat too good.
 Maybe if you don't spit out all the flies.

same day
 our politicians start out in a suit and end up naked.
The big difference is they are all much bigger in the end and the belly button is quite a distance from the backbone.
It looks like you are spending all your lunch money on the car again.

and again

Actually maybe not enough or the choice is wrong.
Be particularly careful when dating out of your species, sometimes they want a long term commitment.

Then when we couldn't get the tank ready in time I decided to build a sidecar for the Colonels Vespa...

Jack named it the "Marriage Mobile" and wrote this....

That Marriage Mobile sounds like you have given it a lot of thought.
 I see your business really booming.
 The only thing I might suggest is a small trailer suitable for vending.
 You don't want to let the crowd go away wanting. wink
 June 10 2006
Now is the time to stop feeding your driver because they tend to grow over time.

In hindsight Jack was right , after weighing in at 73kgs for 25 years I hit 40 and promptly put on 13kgs....

June 27 2006

If something works but it is not pretty, that is my favorite.
 If asked, I won't hint that it works but suggest it is just a temporary short cut until the pretty one gets back from polishing.
I have spent more time polishing off questions than polishing parts.
One of the most efficient aero packages I have ever seen is from a really unthought of source.
The true lines are confused to the on looker with a mish mash of stickers that trick the eye .
 The viewer will often dismiss it as junk.
Too bad for them.

June 28 2006

An aero package is used that is the result of some extensive and successful testing.
It's use at Bonneville is on another brand that one would not connect with the brand represented by the streamlining.
Dimensions in excess of those found to be successful will fail in less than ideal conditions that are seldom seen over the distances traveled.
"Good theoretical designs produce only theoretical results."
"It is better to watch first and then think instead of doing all the thinking first yourself and then end up just watching."

June 29 2006

"It shows ta go ya the Bellytank has not been perfected yet.
When they are, the Chinese will build them cheaper and everybody will have at least one.
LSR is safe for now.
Not enough people have figured how to make enough money yet and completely ruin it for those that choose to do it another way." wink
Aug 6 2006

The last water tank that Nolan built was measured to fit the frame in the nose just as tight as could be made.
IT was a beautiful job of fitted and welded aluminum.
It was all straight cut pieces with some folded corners and the rest was welded and fit pretty good.
That evening ,I came over to check on the progress and found the tank was all radius in the panels and really fit the space available.
 I had no idea who and how all that extra work happened , but now it was better than ever.
As we were locking up that night he said "I saw you looking at the tank and you never actually asked about it." What happened, was during the day he fired it up and chuffed a head gasket into the water jacket and the squeeze from 1 jug " PILLOW POOFED" the tank to fit.
It was an unintentional result ,but he silently enjoyed the credit for all the extra work.
 If you were brave enough to ask , he was brave enough to share the truth.
That is really the important part for both sides that needs more work.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
Bob, I just got chided by Nancy for not recognising that you might be serious and want a plaque.  Is this the paragraph to which you refer?

"Looking at the list I realize that I really miss Jack's postings. Sometimes a real son-of-a-bitch, but brilliant otherwise. I learned a LOT from him."

What size plaque have you got in mind?  Small -- like a dash plaque, or large, like a wood thing to hang on the wall?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »
    Slim I am thinking of Wood with brass type face simillar to the crew ones you made for me.
  I am thinking about something simillar to this ( but lets wait a few days and see if anybody else wants to join in or slightly modify the text).

JACK DOLAN
    Sometimes A Real Son Of A Bitch,
          But Brilliant Otherwise.   
    Many of us have learned a lot about
    Racing, Humor and Standing Up For   
           What we believe in. 
               Thank's Jack         
   I realize I have taken poetic liscense with Dean's actual post, but hopefully he will not sue me.                                     Bob                                 
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »
Bob, I think I will sue you anyway. Why not?

On the other hand, I like the poetry.

After reading the lengthy repost of Jack's sayings I said the following:

Sigh

I'm sure that he got tweaked by too many complainers, and a Jack tweaked is a Jack done.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline salt27

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55:09 AM »
Bob, I think I will sue you anyway. Why not?

Beware, if you sue him and he becomes homeless, he may move in with you.
While your beer and food bill may escalate the water bill should remain the same. :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
Being inquisitive, I have read lots of older threads in the archives in my quest to learn. There are lots of folks I wish would get back to posting especially since there is no all-inclusive how-to book for LSR. Us newbies have to learn from those that walked the path before us. :cheers:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »
  T-Man, Just a quick recap, mostly for the newbies. Over the last three or four years this site has gone through a transformation that has been mainly for the good.
  In the past after site originator Jon Amo had put his heart and soul into it, it had grown to the point that it became a daily "must read".
  Even though Jon had posting rules, he tried to give every one their say whether He agreed or disagreed.
  Unfortunatly as has happened with many other sites, Politics, Bravado, Narcisism, Egomania, Disrespect, and Verbal Poison also became rampant.
  Some posters (including myself) tended to over react and speak or reply before thinking through what needed to be said or not said.
  This all was eating Jon Amo's wonderful creation up and put way to much strain on a great guy with a regular paying job, a Beautiful Wife, and New Baby.
  After repeatedly putting up with all the verbal warfare and name calling and several warnings, He finally shut it down.
  Jon and Nancy (Slim, and the Queen) bought the site and rewrote the site rules allong with making sure than all of us understood the site's ability and duty to delete posts and in some cases BAN anyone deemed as detracting to the site, or defaming other posters.
  One of the best things to come out of all the turmoil was that many of us (as in me) came to realize that posting on and reading here are a PRIVELAGE, not a right.
  Today we see almost always good  information, positive results and help for most all questions.
  Some might think that a few of us use to much humor or sarcasm when posting but at times I feel we could all use a little time to relax and sometimes even make fun of ourselves.
  As the site has changed we have gained many new posters and for a multitude of reasons lost a few good ones
  Although Slim has posted  that Jack is welcome to post at any time, Jack has chosen to move on as have other old timers for reasons only known to themselves.
  Thanks to both Jon's, the site continues to grow and thrive.  It is up to the rest of us to Support ($)and keep civil this wonderful and educational endeavor.       Bob
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:18:09 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
Great post Bob! Thanks.

Those who weren't there when the site was shut down for a short while have no idea what withdrawal is really like. SSS really did save us. Thanks Jon.

Without Jon Amo's efforts in the first place we wouldn't have this high quality site with more constructive information than one would have ever thought possible. Thanks Jon.

And without all those who post both humorous and helpful posts to this site there wouldn't be a site for us all to enjoy so a pat on the back to all who contribute, each in their own way.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:24:45 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
. . . and still a lot of us miss Jack and Kent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records