Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436397 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »
Thanks Glen; I will have a look, I haven't seen that site yet.
I'm interested in the 1%, might not be smart enough to change it but interested:)

Thanks
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
I don't like the plating around the roll bar to be welded 100% along the bottom. As I mentioned earlier it can be bolted on and if needed the roll bar cutter can be used in an emergency. It will also give you extra room to make adjustments to the belts,and padding etc during the build.Having access to anything is in your favor.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jon

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Thanks Glen, I haven't welded the sheet on yet.

Main reasons I was going all the way down are;
Fire protection, it's not much use having a firewall if it's not sealed, I'm going to try and track down fire resistant foam strip to go around the main hoop to seal against the body for fire and smoke protection.
Impact protection, want to line the whole drivers compartment with material strong enough to keep stuff out if it goes wrong, the fiberglass shell will offer me no protection.
Torsional stiffness, sheeting in a frame adds a lot to torsional stiffness for the weight, I want the front and back wheels to be able to communicate with each other without the frame putting it's twist on the conversation.

Your comments and Goggles about visibility have got me thinking though.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Tman

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »
Thanks Glen, I haven't welded the sheet on yet.

Main reasons I was going all the way down are;
Fire protection, it's not much use having a firewall if it's not sealed, I'm going to try and track down fire resistant foam strip to go around the main hoop to seal against the body for fire and smoke protection.
Impact protection, want to line the whole drivers compartment with material strong enough to keep stuff out if it goes wrong, the fiberglass shell will offer me no protection.
Torsional stiffness, sheeting in a frame adds a lot to torsional stiffness for the weight, I want the front and back wheels to be able to communicate with each other without the frame putting it's twist on the conversation.

Thanks
jon

Lots of good points there Jon. I have listened to Glen talking about extraction many times, my thought is to add cut-outs in the plating so the jaws can get in for a good bite. Any thoughts on this Glen?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:45 AM »
Thanks
jon

....because of the inability to shift your weight, which you have already mentioned there is a greater sense of security in what you can see. Plenty of silly low-speeders have damaged bike liners for reasons that are related to the low speed handling.Feeling right in the drivers seat  helps a driver concentrate better on the job at hand........try walking through your house at normal speed looking through a piece of glad wrap(Saran wrap) tube, you're off kilter, defensive and expecting the unknown to lurch in front of you.With everything else that's going on you don't want to feel like that when you're strapped in.

I agree with your reasons for plating in, but Glen has more experience than anyone at seeing and dealing with the results so his opinion is gospel.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
Regarding the integrity of the plating, round or nicely radiused holes can be cut thru the plating without significantly reducing it's shear strength, to allow visibility or access.  Acrylic or polycarbonate  windows could be used to cover these holes if sealing against fumes is deemed to be an issue.  Acrylic can be broken out in an emergency to allow access to rollbar tubes; polycarbonate can't.  Just some thoughts from an interested observer.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
All this talk of rockets, shot guns & hand grenades deploying chutes is a little out there but you still have to conform to rule 3-N on page 34 of the salt bible.
If you're going fast enough to use a chute & the pilot spring is loaded, there's enough air going past the vehicle to deploy the thing.
Don't try to over engineer things, remember the Kiss Theory.
Some years ago we were on the receiving end of a Vesco chute rocket at the start line, luckily nobody was hurt.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2012, 02:56:10 AM »
Hi

Goggles; will check out reliable options for sealing the firewall to the body and make a decision from there re plating or not.

Koncretekid; Agree with you re holes with a decent radius in the corners, the acrylic is a good idea thanks.

Sid; This thing is as KISS as i cam make it, I'm going spring launch pilots, as above the only question is wether they're 50 or 75mm (2 or 3") depending on the shape of the area they end up. If it wasn't for the need to deploy a chute automatically at 50 degrees I wouldn't have anything more complex than a pull cable.

The plate on the rollbars will be one of the last things welded on so have plenty of time to navelgaze about it.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
Got the motor squared in and mounts made and tacked in today.
Front mount;

Made it this long to spread the load over more of the tue and to tie in with the diagonal brace coming from the front, will see how much room I have to run a brace from here down to where the rear motor mount/swingarm mount cross tube goes.

Rear motor mounts;

Tube is that hight so that swingarm directly pushes on it, the rear mounts are under tension so a little extra length won't effect them.
The washers between the mount and motor will be replaced by a machine spacer and tacked on so that it can't get lost.
I was going to mount the swingarm pivot concentric with the output shaft but it will be a pain to change ratios, swingarm pivot will be in line between axle and countershaft at ride height so chain slack shouldn't change much over an inch of travel either way.

Got the drivers compartment tub crimped and sitting in;

Had state election today so had to vote, didn't give us much of an option, they were all poloticians.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

Hi Jon,

Your build is really looking good.  I like it.  What do you have in mind for your rear swing arm?  The E-Z Hook machine had to go through a major frame reconstruction this last couple of years due to frame flexing, which caused ill handling at speed.  Another bike similiar to your construction was a Vesco machine.  He was having the same problem.  His remedy was to put roller bearings on the end of the two swing arm tubes which lay against flat steel runners attached to the frame.  This helped, but didn't solve the problem, as the flex of the swing arm under power was then transmitted to the frame, and the frame only slowed down the flex, but didn't stop it as the frame flexed a little bit.  When I built my streamliner Don Vesco told me to build all that stuff back there as strong as you think it won't bend, and then add more braces. 

A couple of more questions.  What type of system are you planning to use to prevent bump steering?  Are you planning to leave enough room for later turbo charging the Busa motor?  Will you be driving off, or are you going to be pushed up to speed?  Will you be using the same tire on the rear as on the front? 

Max

Offline Jon

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Thanks Max

Swingarm will be fairly conventional box section, I machined up pivots and mount bosses yesterday but the piece of 20mm bright bar I had for pivot shaft has turned up missing  :| so no tacking that up till Monday.

The swinarm pivot shaft will run the full width of the bike with an extra pair of bosses that will be gusseted from the midrail all the way down to the bottom rail to try and spread the load and push on the strongest parts of the frame. You can see both rails in the rear engine mount pic.

I'm trying to do something a little different with the front wheel action (+ I don't have the skills to make a hub centre steering), I think I have it working but no pics until it's made out of something better than scrap bits of wood, curtain rod and techscrews.

I'm planning room for a turbo and intercooler for the Busa motor, anything between the motor and fire bottles will be able to find a new bit of realestate if needs.

I hope to drive up, I won't be making near the torque you are but a 6 speed box will help, I'm a bit winky on getting towed.

Yes, same size front and rear tyres, the wheel will bolt up from different sides front and rear so a single spare can be driving or driven and get the rotational direction right.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »

I'm a bit winky on getting towed.

what about being pushed?

nice build.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 12:29:42 AM »
Sorry Jon, I don't understand your automatic deployment or the 50 deg thing but I guess I don't need to. Just didn't wana see a mate get led astray. I don't have the time to follow other peoples builds too much, all of my free time & half of my sleep time is spent on my liner.
Looking good, stay focused.
  Sid. 

Offline Jon

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 02:06:57 AM »
Hi

Saltwheels; not too keen on that either, currently don't have structural strength back there to push, The frame going back there will take the pull from a chute will be fine. When I get it settled and start chasing some higher gearing I will see how I go.

Sid; thanks, it's a bike thing, 7.H.13 auto chute at 50 degrees with a closed tail and 80 degrees with an open tail.
Do you have a build diary going?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2012, 06:06:05 AM »
Not much building today, had Queensland branch DLRA meeting, was the first time I'd met most of the guys.

Shaped up the gussets for the extra swingarm pivot bosses;

Made out of 5mm (3/16"), follows the inside curve of the ellipse and will be stitch welded.

Cleanup and bit more shopping tomorrow before back to work on Tuesday.
When Speedweek was cancelled due to high tide at Lake Gairdner I set myself the target of getting the frame and suspension arms tacked up.
Got close, weekends and evenings from now, about 40 weeks to Speedweek.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering