Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 435880 times)

Offline fastlammy

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
Really nice Jon, was just wondering the other day how your going.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #841 on: July 28, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
Jon, are you sure 18" is enough? 24 might be better... 30 might be best.... it is easier to haul a little extra air inside than not have room for something that might make it faster, safer or a little more comfortable for that 90 seconds of fun. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #842 on: July 28, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
Jon, your work is really impressive!

How much does that swing arm weigh? For sure it is strong but it looks heavy...at speed, how much do you think the inertia of it will reduce the amount of time the tyre is actually in contact with the salt? Is alloy an option rather than steel?
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #843 on: July 28, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »
The critical weight issue is the weight of the swing arm in comparison to the unsprung weight it supports.  A heavier and well triangulated steel swing arm is not a big issue if it is supporting an elephantine mass.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #844 on: July 28, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
Good work Kiddo,

love the renders, love the swingarm and the tank idea sounds all v good, tough work doin all that with hand tools or do you have electricity in Queensland now?

Jon, are you sure 18" is enough? 24 might be better... 30 might be best.... it is easier to haul a little extra air inside than not have room for something that might make it faster, safer or a little more comfortable for that 90 seconds of fun.  

Careful there Bob you'll get a lecture on wetted area if you're not careful, he's already added length without having too much of a sook about it, in fact he's dealt very well with the whole "joining the special construction club" thing overall, try not to give him the willies.

:roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #845 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
Thanks Guys

Stainless; Goggles is wrong, there was a lot of sooking before i admitted to needing a bit more room, I "need" about 6" for the scope creep the other foot is me already admitting defeat.
Contrary to popular opinion I think short is good for drag, more anoyed about having a parallel section  :cry:, lack of planning will do that to you.

Thanks Jim, CAD and Waterjet (with crappy photography skills) can make anyone look good, first time I've used it and seriosly happy with the outcome, had to touch up two pieces with a flap wheel to get the fit i wanted, that was a reflection on my drawing abilities rather than the waterjet operator.
Solidworks told me it would be 12kg with a bias of the weight towards the pivot end, i think its a fair bit lighter than that though, I'll weigh it tonight.
I'm more comfortable working with steel, it has a more predicable failure IMHO opinion too, if the salt Gremlins are kind and I ever get up to a decent pace i think that a lot of the suspension is in the tyre at speed.

Bo; I agree completely, I'm going to have a fair bit of unsprung weight anyway, talking with Greg (Maj on here) and he pointed out that i need to take brakes a bit more seriously, now looks like my rotor will weigh about 9kg.

Thanks Pops; I think we got electrickery thing happening up here now, I looked out the front of my place last night and the telephone ploes looked like they were glowing on top, donchuwuryabout that.
Went down to NSW to catch up with my brother recently and they have phones down there that arent plugged into the wall.
You been reading The Leading Edge again Goggles?
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #846 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:44 AM »
Just don't put the gearshift too far away
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #847 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:44 AM »
G

You taking it for a run Grumm? Cool.
We're about the same height (I think) main shift is on the left thumb, underdrive to direct will probably be on the right.
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #848 on: July 29, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »
Really nice Jon, was just wondering the other day how your going.

Thanks Nicholai
How is the collecting and test rig coming along?

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #849 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
Jon, I would not worry too much about unsprung weight for a salt vehicle.  My scooter had a about a 160 lb swing arm after I added 68 lbs of lead to the inside and 60 lbs on the outside.  The tire stayed on the ground a lot better than it did with a 35 lb arm.  You are not building a canyon carving street bike, you are building a very fast race bike for a relatively flat surface.  Suspension reaction time can't possibly keep up after you exceed 150 or so.  That inertia thing works both ways, it takes a lot more bump to push a heavy arm than a light one.  You are going to have heavy springs and highly damped shocks behind all that weight... you don't want a compliant dirt bike suspension.
The Lakester has a lot of parallel surface.... seems to go OK... go ahead and give it the extra 6 now, it will be easier than in 6 more months.  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jon

« Reply #850 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks Stainless, not too concerned with unsprung weight, especialy after looking at successful sit on bikes, the sprung/unsprung ratio is pretty wild.

I cant put the extra 6" in now, i would be taking away the opportunity ofr you to say I told you so, (again) in 6 months time  :cheers:
I think most peoples first post on my build diary was "add 2 metres", I'm a slow learner :)

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline maj

« Reply #851 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »
Enough weight that the tire deflects rather than the suspension having to move should do it  :wink:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #852 on: July 29, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
Suspension reaction time can't possibly keep up after you exceed 150 or so.

I've always had an intuitive feeling that I could never find enough hard evidence to back up so I've never jumped up and down much about this but it was the general idea that left us will no suspension........

Thanks Stainless, not too concerned with unsprung weight, especialy after looking at successful sit on bikes, the sprung/unsprung ratio is pretty wild.

I cant put the extra 6" in now, i would be taking away the opportunity ofr you to say I told you so, (again) in 6 months time  :cheers:
I think most peoples first post on my build diary was "add 2 metres", I'm a slow learner :)

jon

that there is a successful application to the "Special Construction Club"
G

it was a morning sickness drug... :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #853 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
G

You taking it for a run Grumm? Cool.
We're about the same height (I think) main shift is on the left thumb, underdrive to direct will probably be on the right.

Dave would have a better chance
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #854 on: July 30, 2013, 06:19:06 AM »
Enough weight that the tire deflects rather than the suspension having to move should do it  :wink:

Yeh yeh; you have all the local tyre and battery shops on speed dial in case you need a quick fix.

Believe you and Stainless are right (both have runs on the board) at speed suspension is nearly all tyre flex.
Underhouse Engineering