Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 434598 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #720 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »

Wow Jon, is that small space between the wheel tub and inside of the frame the foot well?

I admit it, all I know about building a LSR vehicle is from what I've read on this website since February. I should keep my mouth shut (or push the keyboard away)...but I can't help myself.

Without seeing the size relationship of your boots in there I am thinking that you're risking bruising on your calves from the edge of the tub during even a good run. Getting tossed around after...well, you know...inertia of your knee/upper leg is enough to break a tibia/fibula.

Jim

I'm with Jim on that one
Also, I would be concerned about the wheel tub being fixed.
It might be more helpful if you could remove it so that you could clean the salt buildup out of it between runs
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #721 on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:51 AM »
Hang on Jon, you've already thought this through...you're going to provide some sort of bulkhead or resting surface on the inside of your knees to keep them from moving laterally, yes?
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline Jon

« Reply #722 on: April 06, 2013, 12:46:32 AM »
Thanks guys.
There's not a lot of room in there, that's why all my controls are on the bars.(Also because that's where they belong on a bike so i can find them by instinct)
I will be putting SFI padding same as around my helmet area on the outside wall next to my leg because of the step in the panel work.
The inside of my leg is close to a large flat surface being the wheeltub.
The top bar above my shin will have SFI rollbar padding on it.
When I go over I actually see the lack of room an advantage, I'd rather be shaken around in a snug fitting can than a loose fitting one.

As far as a removable wheeltub I'm going to have a car size tyre spinning between my legs, when I weigh up keeping that separated from me and it being easier to clean my sphincter being one of the closest residents voted for a fully welded wheeltub.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #723 on: April 06, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
As far as a removable wheeltub I'm going to have a car size tyre spinning between my legs, when I way up keeping that separated from me and it being easier to clean my sphincter being one of the closest residents voted for a fully welded wheeltub.
Cheers
jon

The "boys" too young to vote ?..I'd be finding something a little softer than SFI for the shin contact point or are you planning on wearing ya long boots?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #724 on: April 06, 2013, 02:26:21 AM »
The SFI padding I have is softer than the cricket bat stuff, it's Orange+Aid.

Boys don't get a vote, they got me in enough trouble.

You said you wouldn't tell about the long boots.....

jon

P.S. You written any good books lately Dr?
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #725 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »
I didn't show him the book
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Tman

« Reply #726 on: April 06, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
Did I turn you onto the Orange Aid or vice-versa? Guys, this orange Aid makes most SFI "padding" look like the two by four that it is. In fact, did you know a pine 2x4 will pass the same test the SFI does on this so-called padding? 3 years ago I was hanging out with Eric/Nexussian as he was fitting padding on the salt, stuff snapped like peanut brittle when he tried to form it. Not what I would call padding in any way!

Offline Jon

« Reply #727 on: April 06, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
I remember we were discussing it Tim, I think we both bought it at the same time.
It really is like comparing chalk and cheese comparing other padding to the Orange Aid.

Not finished reading the book Grumm?

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Tman

« Reply #728 on: April 06, 2013, 05:38:41 PM »
Trent, not Tim :wink:

Offline Jon

« Reply #729 on: April 06, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »

Awkward.... That's actually pretty close for me sorry.
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #730 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »
That's why we favor "Mate!".
  Sid.

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
Thanks guys.
There's not a lot of room in there, that's why all my controls are on the bars.(Also because that's where they belong on a bike so i can find them by instinct)...

my motorbike instinct would have me looking for a gear shift above/below the left toe. Just before the sphincter loses control my right toe would be looking for the rear brake no matter that it is actually at the right hand.

Jon, you aren't having a front brake are you? Detrimental on a loose surface in any case.
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »

Jon --- He has been called a lot worse.

Joe

Offline Tman

« Reply #733 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »

Jon --- He has been called a lot worse.

Joe

Thanks Moe!

Offline Jon

« Reply #734 on: April 15, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
No front brake James, a rear disc connected to a front brake reservoir for my right hand.

Nothing much to look at:
Woody has finished the CFD runs and sent me the final model with the changes that we made to get it to run true.
Have sent P J Bowers (the who are CNCing the body plug for me) some fun vouchers, it should be ready in a couple of weeks.
The body is in four quarters so it fits in his machine and so I can transport it without damaging it.
Also getting another plug of the canopy area 5mm undersize so I can glass it and supply it to the guy who is going to do the PETG canopy for me.

The CFD work was all about trying to get something that had decent yaw stability, the first straight run hinted that the design had a bit of potential in a straight line, the first couple of yaw runs confirmed that it didnt like a crosswind.
We tried a few different things and came up with something that should be reasonably stable.
Ended up with a short tail on the bottom 1/2 of my bike to help provide yaw stability with less roll input.
The tail is about 1/2 the length that we initially tried when checking out options.

Did 11 CFD runs including the initial straight run, then Woody added the wheel fairings trying to mirror my rough sketches and much more detailed mind view and cryptic emails.
We then did six CFD runs at 6 degrees yaw with the bike teaching us (well me anyway) a few things on the way.
Once we were happy at 6 degrees yaw we then did a 2 degree and straight run to close the loop.
I'm no Aerodynamic expert but like everything if you change one thing at a time and retest the answer is in the data, in this case there is the numerical data and the surface and cut pressure and velocity maps as visual data.
I've never set foot in a wind tunnel but I don't think I could have achieved what we did without Woody's help and tools.

Thanks Woody for your help and patience, I've enjoyed the interaction and am very happy with the outcome.
jon
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:24:04 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering