Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 435925 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #690 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »
Aggghhhh, I'm doomed, his name that shan't be spoken is in my thread!!

I have quite a bit of clearance even allowing for growth if I get a bit of pace up.
Did you use yellow wire for Graeme's loom or was it before you learnt of the yellow wire's special powers?

Tubs in and welded, no pics.

jon

the problem was about rhe hole in the bottom of the tub
it was the size of the tyre that was poking thru it (yes that's right, we spell it tyre in Aus)
so the salt filled up the ledge under the tub

and the wiring was before my yellow phase

i did however have some yellow wire left over to tie up ypur horse collar
do dah, do dah
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #691 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:51 AM »
Danny De Vito operates in Oz now??? :-D

20 ish years ago when I worked for the post office!!!!!

I used to deliver the mail to Danny DiVito at 1243 sydney rd
he lived right next to Jesus Christos at 1245

Who would've thought
G

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #692 on: March 10, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
Goodness me Chis
you can't say his name. he will know and it will all start over again

"C'mon, Let's go to the stoning".

"How can I possibly make it any worse for myself!"

"Before we start, there aren't any women here, are there?"

Alright, l didn't know it was STILL an issue of this magnitude. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #694 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »

RGN, you mentioned “ballistics” in your 9 March post.  What is it?  Chute deployment by an explosive charge?

A thought on putting a chute on an open bike.  A sit-on bike has high drag, even if it has a fairing.  I think that a chute is not needed, and could be dicey.  Flat track and road race riders help slow down by sitting up.  You probably know that, if you do not have a windshield, you had better have a good grip on the bars when you do sit up at high speed.  I would think that a chute attached to the rider might pull him right off the bike.  The SCTA rule book requires a parachute only for streamlliner motorcycle; they have low drag and so would slow down only slowly without one.

Jon, my engine is a 600 cc 4-cyl from a 2008 Yamaha R6.  Right, I should surf  for info on how to get ECU readouts.  Anybody know?

As for trigger angle on the Hummingbird, I too was going to use less than 80 or 50 degrees, maybe as small as 30.  I should never be leaned that far over when traveling in a straight line at speed with small cross-wind, and the outriggers will keep me vertical at low speeds.

I like the idea of welding in panels.  I did the same thing.  It makes the structure a whole lot stiffer and stronger. 

Trent – yup, it’s me.

Larry

Offline Tman

« Reply #695 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
Hard to remember everyones nicknames Larry!

Offline Jon

« Reply #696 on: March 13, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »
Look out Jon -they're coming for you: http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-indian-motorcycle?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Bikeexif+%28Bike+EXIF%29

Very nice, be good to see it on the salt, would have to run time only or does it fit in someone's rules?
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jon

« Reply #697 on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:24 AM »
Jon, my engine is a 600 cc 4-cyl from a 2008 Yamaha R6.  Right, I should surf  for info on how to get ECU readouts.  Anybody know?

Larry

Hi Larry
I'm currently looking at getting an AIM EVO-4 to log all the Gen2 Hayabusa K line data along with some other parameters,  it looks like it connects to a 2008 R6 as well.
It's dearer than I planned for logging but I want all my logged data in one logfile rather than a couple of seperate systems.

Do a search on R6 reflash as well, it will let you get a much better tune and get rid of a lot of factory restrictions.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #698 on: March 13, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »
Look out Jon -they're coming for you: http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-indian-motorcycle?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Bikeexif+%28Bike+EXIF%29

Very nice, be good to see it on the salt, would have to run time only or does it fit in someone's rules?

I made a comment about the fairing on exif and they deleted it straight away. Knobdoodles. Time only. no
the only way it could run within any rules is with a sidecar on it. It's a bit of a shame really. Maybe they should've read someone/any ones rules first. Hang on, I'm starting to sound like a tech inspector now, "have you read the current rules?"  My employer says the reason they call them a dustbin fairing is because they sound like a dustbin (trashcan) when they are rolling down the street
G

Offline Heliophile

« Reply #699 on: March 13, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Having the run data on the computer rather than a video would certainly be really useful.  Jon, thanks for the AIM EVO-4 suggestion, I will look into it.

Another logging option might be a multi-channel digital storage oscilloscope, stand alone or a laptop add-on.  I need to look into current offerings.  I have one from twenty-five years ago, but the interface is a two-or-three-generations-old desktop plug-in card, dating from a time before laptops or USB connectivity existed.  Not realistic to try to resurrect it.

One way to get around some of the factory restrictions for EFI bikes is a Power Commander.  The new PC-V and AutoTune units together will suggest new fueling maps for user-selected guidance parameter values.  Cost is around $1,000.  Pretty useful at Bonneville, where the elevation is about 1,286 m (4,219 ft).  By comparison, Lake Gairdner is 34 m (111 ft)  ASL.  Elevation and summer temperature at Bonneville combine to reduce air density (and thus available power) to about 80% of sea level.  There was in 2012 a very good series of articles on EFI fuel map reprogramming in the magazine “Motorcycle Consumer News,” which is a great magazine, a bit expensive ($41/yr in US) because it has no advertising.  The September 2012 issue described the PC-V and AutoTune.

Offline Jon

« Reply #700 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
Larry
The EVO-4 isn't a cheep unit, more than I initially was looking at spending for logging but I'm pretty keen to have all my data in one logfile.
Being able to work with the data afterwards in a logical and relatively easy manner is just as important as capturing it IMHO. No use having a heap of data that is hard to work through.

Check out "re flashing" I think you'll be please rly surprised compared to the Power Commander in function and price.

Justin (the guy I got my flashing/logging unit from) is apparently working on non Suzuki bikes, may be worth an email.
Woolich Racing.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline maj

« Reply #701 on: March 13, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Some of the newer bikes are using secondary throttle plate control to pull back throttle opening in the top end of the rpm range
flashing can let you chang these settings among other things, Yamahas are one doing this 
Flash tune in CA have flash kits for Yamahas out now, many other companys will flash your computer for you with a generic tune and reset various features to order
Woolich has a wide range of Suzukis , i think the Kawi zx10  and currently working on a large list of other bikes

capabilitys of getting into the original ecu and making changes there make the pc thing seem rather basic , but they still can have a place for fine tuning and are often used after a flash has reset basic parameters

Offline Heliophile

« Reply #702 on: March 15, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
Maj, thanks, I will take a look.

Offline Jon

« Reply #703 on: April 01, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »
Eventually got back to doing some actual work on my bike.
Got the footwells tacked up today:

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #704 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:22 AM »
Think the body is going to behave itself eventually going by Woody's latest CFD analysis.
He is doing a 2 degree yaw run and straight run to get some final numbers.

Ended up looking like this: (6 degree yaw run)

I'd like to thank Woody for his help and patience with my project.
Going to catch up with the guy who is going to CNC my body plug from polystyrene as soon as I have the final CFD runs.
I could spend weeks trying to replicate my design or pick up something that is exactly as designed and symetrical.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering