Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436457 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #675 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Hi Larry

Highjack away :)

My guess it has something to do with the door opening time of the closed tail and wether they can open when we're laying on our sides.
An open tail bike can throw its chutes laying on its side, a closed tail may have its doors held shut by the salt if its assumed its natural position (on its side).

I messed with several mercury switches and also made some, I would advise not using them.
A bit of a shake triggers most of the bought ones because the tubes are short.
I made a nice v tube one and a vibration broke up the mercury into small balls and it wouldn't reliably trigger, I would get well past the trigger angle about 2-3 times out of 20, nowhere near good enough to use on anything let alone for a safety item.
Looked at pendulums, rolling balls etc and couldn't find anything that I was confident wouldn't either false trigger or not trigger when it goes bad.

I ended up buying one (and a spare) of these;
http://hmbe.com.au/products/2-axis-tilt-switch

At Aus Speedweek I saw a fair few people having difficulty with licencing runs going over or under by a small amount.
I'm not running gauges just a few idiot lights as I don't want to distract myself.
Hummingbird are custom programming a GPS based speed alert for me.
I will be able to set the speed I want and the screen will change colour at that speed and then flash if I got 10mph above that speed, e.g. if I'm doing my 150mph licencing run I will set it at 150, the screen changes from blue to red at 150, if I go over 160 the screen flashes blue/red.
I will put it with the idiot lights just below screen level so I can see it in my peripheral Visio without looking.
The unit will also store max speed.
http://hmbe.com.au/products/gps-speed-alert

If anyone is interested just tell them you want one programmed the same as Jon's Streamliner Bike.
I'm not sponsored by them, I've paid for mine, just thought someone may be interested.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #676 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I think you are correct, it is probably just a matter of having to get the door open before it is down.  I cannot think of another reason.

I bought the hummingbird tilt switch (yup, and a spare) after I saw it on this diary a while back.  Thanks for that.  Cool bit, reasonable price, and they will ship to the US. 

An obvious difference between the two configurations is that the drag coefficient could be expected to be larger for an open tail configuration.  I found some published data (in Hoerner, Fluid Dynamic Drag, 1958) that says that truncating a streamlined body at a point at which the width is about 25% of the maximum width, which is equivalent to lopping roughly 10% of the body length off the tail end,  increases the drag coefficient by only about 2%!  I am guessing that the pressure drag increases and the skin friction drag decreases.  It is a bit surprising that the drag penalty is not larger.  Have you by chance looked at this in your CFD runs?  Anybody else?

I have been thinking about using my Garmin GPS as a speed indicator.  It doesn’t flash, and I don’t know if it has a speed upper limit.  I see that the Hummingbird maximum warning set speed is 300 kph (180 mph), which is good for at least the first few license brackets.  I like the screen color change and warning buzzer/flasher features.

I plan to use gauges, mounted outside of my vision line, and not look at them during a run.  I want to document things like water tank and engine temperature and AF ratios for post-run review.  I plan to record the gauge readings with my digital camera, which takes good videos.  Not all of my gauges can send signals to a data recorder, which I do not have (at least not yet…).  I will locate the tach (and/or shift light) and the speedometer just below or above my line of vision.

Larry

Offline Tman

« Reply #677 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »
Heliophile= Larry Pater? I forget but if you are, thanks for posting!

Offline rgn

« Reply #678 on: March 09, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
The SCTA rulebook, motorcycle section, paragraph 7.H.13 Parachute, states that an automatic mechanism is required to actuate the parachute.  The laid over angle at which the system is required to actuate is different for closed tail liners (50 deg.) and open tail liners (80 deg.).

I think it is safe to say that at 50 degrees the liner is going to crash, and at 80 degrees it already has.  Personally I would want deployment to have started at 45-50 degrees.  This would negate most chance of flush streamlined doors being trapped closed (if you were using them).  While conventional central rear facing tubed parachutes may have a drag penalty, I think the simplicity in operational terms is compelling.  I’m a fan of ballistics also.  I have read there are some concerns regarding their use in motor sport, I don’t see the problem with a properly engineered system?

We are talking degrees away from the vertical?  And are the deployment fall over angles flexible or fixed at the specific angles of 50 and 80 degrees respectively by the rules?

I’m thinking of a chute for a sit on bike I’m planning, it will be either part of the bike, or on the rider in the hump, along with an airbag.  The humming bird switch looks the business.

This thread gets more interesting every time I check in.   :cheers:

Offline Jon

« Reply #679 on: March 09, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »
Hi

If you ask hummingbird for the speed alert programmed the same as mine it will let you set the speed up to 999, which is the limit of the display.

What motor are you using again sorry Larry?
Have you looked to see if someone has hacked your model ECU?
The Hayabusa ECU has been hacked by a heap of people way smarter than me, this lets me do quite a bit with it, one of those things is hooking up a "Logbox" from Woolich Racing that logs all the sensors on the motor as well as a wide and O2 sensor.

I did look at "Kammback"ing my bike at one stage but it didn't seem hard enough ;)
I havens done any CFD work on it.
If your bored google "Kammback", it should get some very interesting reading and it explains the shape of the rear of a lot of modern hatchback cars.

The tilt angles are a maximum not a must.
I'm setting my tilt switch at 40 degrees, I believe I have 3/5ths of not much chance of getting back vertical from there, especially as my wheel fairings will touch down well before then.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #680 on: March 09, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »
Quote from: rgn link=topic=11024.msg216872#msg216872

I’m thinking of a chute for a sit on bike I’m planning, it will be either part of the bike, or on the rider in the hump, along with an airbag.  The humming bird switch looks the business.

This thread gets more interesting every time I check in.   :cheers:

And from what ive seen you're no stranger to chutes in unusual applications Ralph.  . . .  :evil:
however just mentioning that means a whole lot of people here are going to get spam from our least favorite know it all . . . . . .
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:31:44 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #681 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
After a fairly large slack attack I got onto my bike today, not a lot to look at, mainly welding up tacked tubes.

Front suspension lower mounts and a couple of gussets to tie them back into the triangulated section of the frame;

A couple of panels in the riders compartment;

A job I've been dreading, welded up the front wheeltub and flapdisked the back of the welds inside the tub;

Hope to get the wheeltub in and welded and the foot well area skinned tomorrow.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #682 on: March 09, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
You're not welding the wheel tub in to the frame are you?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #683 on: March 09, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
You're not welding the wheel tub in to the frame are you?
G
Yep, it doesn't go in and out with the front welded up, I have to leave the front of the tub unwelded and spring it to get it there and finish welding it.
After its in I'll cut a removable hatch into the the top so I can get in clean it out, there's a whole lot more clearance than the grey liner.

I know I'll be cursing on the lake cleaning it out and you walk past and say "told you so" and you'll be right.
The whole front yoke & wheel assembly drops out with 5 rose jointed bolts.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #684 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
Quote from: rgn link=topic=11024.msg216872#msg216872

I’m thinking of a chute for a sit on bike I’m planning, it will be either part of the bike, or on the rider in the hump, along with an airbag.  The humming bird switch looks the business.

This thread gets more interesting every time I check in.   :cheers:

And from what ive seen you're no stranger to chutes in unusual applications Ralph.  . . .  :evil:
however just mentioning that means a whole lot of people here are going to get spam from our least favorite know it all . . . . . .

To clarify:

I am well aware that RGN has prior experience using parachutes in unusual situations.

My reference to "our least favorite know-it-all" is in reference to a forum user ( FR) who has been banned previously and who regularly sends group emails to many people here that are usually opinionated and can often be offensive, I have finally worked out how to avoid the initial emails and now only receive them if recipients "reply-all". As a general comment if you do receive them please reply only to those people who you wish to see the emails, I for one am not one of them.

Thanks

Sorry to RGN for any confusion.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Good God, Doc - is the ghost of Rot-loft still obliquely haunting your inbox?  You need to perform a more thorough exorcism.

I guess I'm glad that aerodynamics are not an issue with the Midget - they suck, and everybody knows it . . . even us morons.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:24:43 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Jon, the Triumph stream liner is shown in recent pictures on my build diary.  They have the chute tubes sticking out of the back without any doors and in a location where they will create minimal drag.  It looks like a safe arrangement.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:20 AM »
Goodness me Chis
you can't say his name. he will know and it will all start over again

Jon.  I have spent some time helping Graeme with cleaning the salt out of those wheel tubs in previous years
I even knocked up an instant wiring loom for him one time at Mangalore

As I remember, the front wheels stopped spinning due to salt build up in the tubs
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »
Aggghhhh, I'm doomed, his name that shan't be spoken is in my thread!!

A sucking midget, lets not go there.

Bo: if I have trouble with my doors I'll extend my chute tubes, I'll try and get relatively reliable doors first.

Grumm: those tubs on Graeme's liner are very small, how big are the tyres on it, looks like a bmx tyre wouldn't have a lot of clearance.
I have quite a bit of clearance even allowing for growth if I get a bit of pace up.
Did you use yellow wire for Graeme's loom or was it before you learnt of the yellow wire's special powers?

Tubs in and welded, no pics.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline tauruck

« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »
Danny De Vito operates in Oz now??? :-D