Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436376 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #645 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
The latter always happens when you're lying in a confined space so your head can rattle back and forth between two hard objects.  :roll: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #646 on: February 11, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
Minor hijack:  Dr. G, remind me to show you the tattoo I sport -- of me with my hair on fire.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:27:15 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #647 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
I can say with certainty; auto darkening helmets are worthless when you are kneeling in a flaming puddle of acetone.  The bright orange glow, inside the helmet, causes the sensing to stop working.  This leaves you temporarily arc blinded while trying to stagger out of the fire.  There are a lot of strange sounds going on, also, which I still havent figured out. :? 

Mysteries of life.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #648 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Hair on fire? ...done that with a torch.  :-P Also dropped molten solder down my shoe on another occasion.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #649 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »
I just bought an "auto darkening" helmet which I really like "except" when you are laying on your side with the TIG torch in your left hand ( I happen to be right handed) and that arm looped over a tube and I am pressing on the pedal with my knee and I am trying to see the arc and the lens that the helmet looks through to cause the auto darkening goes behind another tube and all of a sudden it ain't dark anymore!! lots of fun! You get to see stars for a few minutes.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #650 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
Took a stick welding class once and wore my Bonneville tee-shirt. Burned the SCTA logo right onto my chest!  :-o

Hurt like Hades but sometimes that's just the price of dedication!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #651 on: February 11, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
ya never think about MIG throwing so much slag until your tenny runner catches fire...  I guess that's why the pros dress for the part... :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #653 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
ya never think about MIG throwing so much slag until your tenny runner catches fire...  I guess that's why the pros dress for the part... :|

I have been safer in my sandals than my running shoes. With the sandals the slag usually rolls off but with the runners it catches in the mesh and kinda melts in! :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #654 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
You guys are stating to give me the willies, sandals, flops and tennys in the shop? OOooo.
Sorry, I am an industrail Safety, Health and environmental manager by trade.  :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #655 on: February 12, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
As a tradesman (welder) watching a lot of the car and motorcycle build shows on TV scares the h*e*l*l out of me. I have no idea why a lot of those guys can still see after using unguarded abrasive wheels with no protective goggles and no one seems worried about skin cancer, welding in T-shirts, despite the fact that the ultra violet burns that you receive can be deep and serious. Just an observation that continues to amaze me.  :roll: :roll: :?

Pete

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #656 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Yea Jack, no kidding. wonder how the pretty car build host would look blind in one eye and a 4" scar running up his cheek.

Now back to our regularly scheduled build thread........
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #657 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
Every person has their personal safety levels that they feel comfortable with . Since I was in my late teens I NEVER work around power equipment/noise w/o my ear muffs or ear plugs. Learned that from a carpentry mentor. But I see guys with ALL the gear, long sleeves, faceshield etc BUT THEY GRIND AWAY WITH NO HEARING PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!! I always have eye pro as well as hearing pro.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #658 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »
A person can get tinnitis.  The ringing in the ears that never goes away with the accompanying hearing loss.  Don't ask me about how I know.  Hearing protection is very important.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #659 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:26 AM »
I apolgise profusely for jacking this thread but everyone who chimed in added value. We need to be safe when working with tools. I raced cars that ran Mazda Rotary motors. They say the pain threshold on sound is 121DB. These things were recorded at 125 going down the main straight at the old Kyalami. Fans used to take the opportunity to find something else to do that was further away. Now we have a fight over the remote in our house because the wife says it's too loud and I say screw it I can't hear a thing. My favourite stuff, NASCAR and then NHRA. I shouldn't be giving advice on apparel when welding but I've done the shorts no shirt sandal thing too many times. If you need a rush go plasy in the traffic. The most important one of them all is eye protection.  You don't wanna be a deaf dumb and blind kid. I've had the foreign object in the eye thing twice. One time it was while wearing protective eyeware. The headache associated with this injury will drive you to suicide and i'm dead serious. Arc Eyes is nothing compared. I use motocross goggles for grinding. Welding in sandals is quite cool though, you do that jig that Anthony Hopkins did in the World's fastest Indian and your friends will love you for it.