Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436418 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
Look at ISP helmet/cage padding. If you dig up the John Force interview he said after adding ISP it was the first time he EVER saw a whole run without buzzing his head! Talk to Bob, he is a huge help. Charles put me onto them as well as seeing thier products in cars such as The Flower of Scotland and the Poteet and Main liner.

Offline Jon

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »
Thanks guys

Goggles; How far from the bottom of the screen do you look through?

Tman; thanks for the lead, I will try and find an Aus supplier.

Thanks
jon
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:21:04 AM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jon

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
Random question for the day;

What are the pros & cons of the different harness latches?

Thanks
Jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
Jon, you won't have room to make one of the twist latches work, your elbows won't let you do that in close quarters.  I'd suggest a simple duckbill....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:29 AM »
Jon, you won't have room to make one of the twist latches work, your elbows won't let you do that in close quarters.  I'd suggest a simple duckbill....

Stainless, can you expand on this? Jack Costella said the same thing to me and I stare ar your crotch on a daily basis with a pic you posted of the Bockscar :-o :oops:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:09 AM »
[quote author=Jon link=topic=11024.msg186343#msg186343 date=1332201360

Grumm; thanks, you only read it twice, I recon I can recite it :0
How do I prove wall thickness at scrutineering?
Can I get a log book early so that someone can sign it off at a part build tech inspection?
I won't end up with any open ends.

[/quote]

Jon
I've only read the 2012 SCTA book twice, the DLRA 2012 and the SCTA 2011 I know chapter and verse
I'm fairly familiar with both the car and bike sections just because
I suppose you could email Carol (there's a link on the DLRA site) and ask for a logbook
Although, I think the SCTA logbooks might be cheaper and they are almost the same
For DLRA, bring a sample of the tube and some will say OK, for SCTA, don't worry, it WILL be sonic tested because it's new
and they will also sonic test some of your welds.

And don't let Goggs call you Joh just because you live in Queensland

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 04:59:36 AM »
Thanks guys

Stainless; thanks for that, there isn't a lot of elbow room & please don't send me photos of your crutch, I believe you :)

Grumm; might get a DLRA to save dramas, he calls me Joh again and I wont fix it next time my spellcheck wants to call him Giggles, "don't you worry about that"

Not much to look at today
Got the  frame about 1/4 welded up;

Started off with the trendy TIG mini welds, cant like the look of them, if its ever tested I or one of my family   will be in it, welds are going to be at least 1/8" (tube wall thickness)

In 7.H.4 it has "The roll bar shall be braced with a tube of same dimension on each side."
Does the cross above my motor cover that rule or do I need an additional brace?

Got the 2.5mm sheet for rollcage above midrail cut and crimped.
Just sitting on until finish welding & sorting out seat;

Figure 2 and 3 in 3.B.1 shows an open corner.
I'm happy to do this on the front corners but want to fill the back corners in for fire protection.

Cheers
Jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 05:12:57 AM »
Look at ISP helmet/cage padding. If you dig up the John Force interview he said after adding ISP it was the first time he EVER saw a whole run without buzzing his head! Talk to Bob, he is a huge help. Charles put me onto them as well as seeing thier products in cars such as The Flower of Scotland and the Poteet and Main liner.

Oi, this padding of which you speak is it the stuff they list as "soft outer padding for 7800 series"? That sounds like what we's after if it works 'cause once we install the HANS we are going to be REALLY stretched for room and the leeway to avoid getting buzzed.

Jon the stuff you have to use, the SFI rated padding is about as hard as a composite cricket or hockey ball, if your helmet touches it it gets buzzed.That crap that looks like the floaty things for the wading pool is fine buzz wise but for a endless list of practical reasons( all the important ones) you can't use it.

How far from the bottom of the screen?....well because we are trying to get these things we build as low(total height) as possible everyone builds them with the minimal clearances, the maximum layback, the least height over whatever is front of you. So, by the very nature of what we do I think most people are looking out the bottom of the available "window"......What I didn't mention earlier is your eyes work best pointing straight ahead....as you get to looking further and further down they don't handle bumps and vibration as well, and they tire quicker too.At least you've outed yourself as human and sat up.....when people start talkin about face down driving I get queezy.

Our visibility is pretty good on the track, but there are lots of factors in there that can make it bad. Condensation , the angle of the sun, just being tired and having sat in the hot car for 45mins sweating , with a headache....jeez I dunno....that's why I mentioned the side view as calibration.....Something hit the visor of my helmet in 2010 that I reckon was a drop of salty water from somewhere at the front of the car that had been picked up by the air coming through the nose vent.....I could see the markers but I couldn't read the tach or the GPS. that is something I'm going to try and guard against...

Rod Hadfield was foolin with something and took his eyes of the track in his Commodore soon after leaving the line at Gairdner in 03 I think and looked up to see track markers very close to the right of the car so he started driftin over to the left .........after a bit he couldn't see the markers and realised that he was OFF the left side of the track and what he'd seen were the LHS markers.... I think the story then finishes with him showing all sides of the car shortly after.....others might know the story... :wink: :wink: :wink:

For the onlookers Joh refers to "Joh Bjelke Peterson" he would equate to a Southern Governor, google him and his quotes , he was a sworn enemy of the English language.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
I've got a Simpson Pro Rage coming if you want to borrow it to see if it works in your car I can post it down Goggles.

I was surprised how hard the SFI rollbar padding was when I was getting a helmet, then they had some stuff that looked like recycled pool noodles.

Does anyone have experience with Orange Aid?;
http://www.stbarinc.com/orange-aid/index.html

Or Kirkey?
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=details&wh=30&pn=99021

They both look slightly softer than a cricket bat (baseball bat for the Sepos)

Tman; do you have a link on the stuff you've been recommended?
I couldn't find ISP in the SFI list, was thinking it might be a range rather than a manufacturer.

Thanks
Jon
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:31:04 AM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Geo

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
The latest SFI-45.1 High Impact Roll Bar Padding is a bit harder than the old "pool noodles" or "pipe insulation".

ISP -Innovative Safety Products- http://ispseats.com/index.html

Geo

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »

Hi Jon,

Why in the world would I be mad at you?  I'm having a hard time getting my head around that one. 

However, I'd like to make one comment that seems applicable.  My dad once said to me, "Son, do you understand all that you know about that?"

Max

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
Jon,  What an intriguing  build this  ---max I like your pop already
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
That orange Aid looks like an interesting option.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
Quote from: Jon

Hope I didn't Plymouth Max off, I "think" I'm ok but he's built 8 more liners than I have.

[/quote

Howdy Jon,

Correction.  I've built 9 more streamliners than you have, as you haven't built one yet. 

Granted you're tripping along at a brisk pace, generating parts faster than most solo attempts do.  I'm impressed with that.  However, you've yet to experience most of your challenging moments, and quite a few "Oh Shitters".  Study up on periscopes.  May come in handy.

#:^)#

It appears that the last couple of feet of your liner shell is quite narrow.  I assume that these will be doors that open for the shoots.  Have you thought about what type of shoot deployment you intend to use? 

Max

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
Jon,

First let me say what a great build this is.

Now for my two cents. May I suggest you keep the engine completely stock for now. You will have your hands full just learning how to get the bike down the track without having to deal with a modified or race engine.

Your bike will go very very fast with the stock setup. In the beginning, it's all about being able to start the run, make the pass and get it stopped again.

Remember, a motorcycle streamliner's native position is not uprighton it's on it's side. Having more power now is the last thing you need to thinking about now.

Respectfully from an experienced motorcycle streamliner pilot,

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569