Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436551 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #555 on: December 30, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
I too drill a 1/8 pilot hole in the tube and also have made a drill guide to ensure squareness and that the hole is in the center of the tube but then I use a Blair hole saw, which will cut a hole that is about .005 inches larger than the stated size. Very accurate and you can actually do a hole through a tube by drilling the pilot hole through the tube, both sides, and then using the Blair hole saw, which has a 1/8 diameter center guide, cut one side remove the slug and then reach thought the new hole, get the center guide into the pilot hole on the other side and cut the other side hole from the inside of the tube. The Blair saws are expensive but I think they are well worth the investment.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #556 on: December 30, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
I have a few drill jigs and use a lot of counter sinks and counter bores. I also have some very expensive aircraft hole saws up to 3" All have different pilots that really help with proper guiding thru tubing with pilot holes drilled thru the tubing, cut slow and good cutting oil.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #557 on: December 30, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
I didn't see where Jon was needing to make a hole in sheet metal bit since the question came up...if a ragged hole by a hole saw wasn't acceptable, a set of instrument hole punches would be just the ticket. Expensive but quick.
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #558 on: December 30, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
2D;

We call them "chassis punches" here. Greenlee has made them for years. They were originally made to punch holes in radio chassis for tube sockets, etc.

They are OK but they do leave a bit of flaring in the panel-- it isn't completely flat any more. Of course you can get out the rubber mallet and knock it flat. Using a chassis punch on very thin stuff such as 0.020" aluminum causes problems; the clearance in the dies necessary to punch holes in thicker stuff makes them pull the material rather than shear it cleanly. I do use my chassis punches now and then for moderate- sized holes.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jon

« Reply #559 on: December 31, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
Thanks for pointing out easy it would have been with a hole saw, proper brain fart there.......

Went down this am to weld up the front suspension rocker support/headstock and realised it looked like it fell off the top of an ugly tree and hit every stick on the way down, cut it off and started again.

Pretty happy with the third attempt, very happy to have the front and back wheel both attached to the frame eventually.

Start on the steering now.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jon

« Reply #560 on: December 31, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
Is there something wrong with you if your happy to weld in a tee shirt so you can cover your tyre with your welding jacket?
Underhouse Engineering

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
No Harbor Freight in Australia?  http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=welding+blanket

Enjoying this build.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
That is a good decision, Jon.  You will grow back, sort of, if some hot metal gets on you.  The tire would be permanently damaged.

Offline Jon

« Reply #563 on: January 01, 2013, 04:00:08 AM »
Thanks guys.
No Harbour Freight in Aus Mike, there's a private guy a few blocks from me that does me a pretty good deal.
I'm glad your enjoying the build diary, sometimes I wonder if it's a bit too simple to be of much interest.

My thoughts exactly Bo, back to work tomorrow, others will be showing off their beach tan, I can show them my TIG tan.

Started on the floor today, first section is flat:

Outer sections are curved, just marked of the wide end at 20mm   (3/4") intervals and put a slight crimp from there to the point:

Most of this skinning will be almost flush on the inside so if I'm rattling around a bit I'm leaning on flat panels rather than barwork.

Tonight:

Sorry about the crap lighting.
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline salt27

« Reply #564 on: January 01, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »
I'm glad your enjoying the build diary, sometimes I wonder if it's a bit too simple to be of much interest.

jon

I can't speak for others but this build is not too simple for me.

Keep on posting!

Don

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #565 on: January 01, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »
jon

I can't speak for others but this build is not too simple for me.
Keep on posting!
Don

Well, we've pretty much not the thick end of this nailed down then. Jon, a year or so ago Don actually managed to trick me into doing something (sitting on the ground while he took a picture of me) , so that's me and him who enjoy the thread but like I said there's Don, and there 's the guy he fooled...

Are you being immodest?....... between the cagey and the unhinged there are few doing this (Bike liners) and documenting it properly. That gives me hope for a couple of reasons. One is that anyone who skims over your build diary with the faintest thought that they might want to do something similar will get a pretty quick idea that they have some serious reading to do, two is that you have assembled a pretty hard headed and experienced email list that puts you at the centre of an info cabal that means just a casual email enquiry from a stranger can be answered with a certain authority because the people that matter are only one or two degrees of separation away. You're doin just fine, and we're all lovin it.....................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt27

« Reply #566 on: January 01, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »
That darn Gus took the picture, watch out for him, he is ruthless. :wink:

There he is front and center, look at that evil grin. :evil:

Don
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:35:40 PM by salt27 »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #567 on: January 01, 2013, 10:36:42 PM »
Never said he wasn't smart or ruthless( after all he can weld with his backside)........which makes me think you must have one hell of a smart wife Don, and I'm guessin she's a looker too.... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #568 on: January 02, 2013, 12:39:12 AM »
Thanks guys
I look at some of the other builds going on, a mada$$ supercharged flat Cad that looks like he's going to tip the can, Robfreys rocket ship, an aero quality Mid engine, a Mowog that has a degree in engine science and I post another bent tube or piece of tin.

I'm enjoying it anyway.
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline tauruck

« Reply #569 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:43 AM »
That Tig tan will pay dividends. It's looking good, your build. We haven't seen the tan though.