Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436646 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »

Hi Jon,

As shown in the frontal shot, if your tube rails are parallel with the earth, take another shot exposing the bottom of the frame rails.  A similiar exposure on the bottom will give you a more true line of sight needed to see over the front fender.  In the picture you show, it appears to me that the pilot will be looking at the sky.  That was Black Lightning's problem the first time we took it out, Don Vesco riding.  The only way he was able to ride the thing at all, was to look out to the side and follow the black line.  The problem with that situation is that they pretty much eliminated black lines. 

Best,
                              Max

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Jon,  Remember SCTA Bike Liners now have to be built to CAR rules  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Wow Jon you aint hanging about I am truly impressed nice one!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Jon

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 05:54:24 AM »
Hi, not much to show for the day.

Went steel and helmet shopping.
Went to roll some more tube but the guy that owns the tube roller was using it.

Messed around getting the front wheelwell right forward, pulled the profiles down and cleaned up some;

Max; I'm pretty comfortable I can see ok, time will tell I guess.
Sitting in it I can see at least 1' below horizontal at 40 yards, side view of mockup;

Sparky; Rollcage still 1 1/4" though for bikes?

Oz; Thanks, you going to make the salt this year?

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »

Hi Jon,

If vision isn't a problem, with the aero you have, you're going to go real fast.  I wish you the best.

Max

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
NO!
 Jon, I don't think so, Bike Liners now have to be built to Car specs---that is one of the reason lots of Bike Liners now run BUB ONLY!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jon

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Hi Max
I've still got the issue of looking through a lot of screen at a very shallow angle.

I'm sure everyone else was pretty confident they could see fine as well, I might be chasing that alloy wheel you have yet.
Still have a lot to do to build it, test it etc, I have no idea wether it will be aero stable yet., if I get all that sorted I then need to make some horsepower!
How is the prep Black Lightning coming along, the motor work is looking good but as you said there's a lot more to it than that.
I will be cheering for you & your crew this year

Sparky; this is a problem (for me), could you do me a favor and look at 7.H.4 please?
I could be building a garden ornament

A very nervous
jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
11/4" tubing, .090 wall.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
Yup I will be on the salt in August come hell or high water,are you going over Jon
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
NO!
 Jon, I don't think so, Bike Liners now have to be built to Car specs---that is one of the reason lots of Bike Liners now run BUB ONLY!

That made me look in the rule book twice. 7.H.4 page 123 in the new (Blue) book , it's still 1 1/4 inch tube 0.090" wall thickness

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
CRS---I posted anyway even when I could not find my book----sorry for the heart burn!!!  I will wait untill I can find the book next time!!

What the Hillman  do car guys know anyway!!!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Hi Max
I've still got the issue of looking through a lot of screen at a very shallow angle.

Hey Joh is there any way you can put a window outside your knees?It's all well to see straight ahead, but you also need to be able to pick up the track markers, you'd be surprised how far across the track you can get blown even in a car.Sometimes there's a bit of haze and the point on the horizon that you were looking at is not there,when it's shitty like that I've found it easier to drive via the side window.....

Amazing amount you've got done, and I think Max is right, this looks like it'll go.

And just b/w you and me Jon ...."and cleaned up some"........I think these seppos are getting to ya :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Sparky, you are actually more right than wrong.  Bike liners must meet the all of the car safety rules except tube size.  helmet, belts, fire equipment, parachutes all the same...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jon

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Fredvance; thanks, do you know of any good books on Bussa motors?
If it proves stable I wouldn't mind putting one in oneday, bit to go yet though.

Oz: Good stuff, much left to do? I won't be there, money I spend on the trip is money I can't use to build.

Grumm; thanks, you only read it twice, I recon I can recite it :0
How do I prove wall thickness at scrutineering?
Can I get a log book early so that someone can sign it off at a part build tech inspection?
I won't end up with any open ends.

Sparky; I should get some done now, you got me wired that I won't sleep for a week.
Thats why they put us bike guys up the back of the book, we always start reading there, that's where the cartoons are.

Goggles; past the 120 degrees? I was planning on sheeting my whole roll bar.
Hope I didn't piss Max off, I "think" I'm ok but he's built 8 more liners than I have.
I have to clean up everyday, if I don't the spageti of leads mixes with the offcuts, tools and other pieces of random dross take over and I spend 3/4 of the time trying to find the last thing I put down.

Stainless; that and 2 chutes needed at 50mph slower for some reason.

Thanks
Jin

Underhouse Engineering

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
Goggles; past the 120 degrees? I was planning on sheeting my whole roll bar.
Hope I didn't Plymouth Max off, I "think" I'm ok but he's built 8 more liners than I have.
I have to clean up everyday, if I don't the spagetti of leads mixes with the offcuts, tools and other pieces of random dross take over and I spend 3/4 of the time trying to find the last thing I put down.

There's a couple of things I've noticed, and you will well note that I have limited experience and none in a bike liner. First of all the lower limit of your vision in these things we build is affected by the proximity of the near field, that is, in the heat of the moment, when everything is bouncing around a bit it is very difficult to focus on the lower extreme of your screen because there are things there right in front of your face and your eyes spend a bit of time focusing in and out. So if the most important part of your vision is right there at the bottom of your screen it'll be hard to get used to.Secondly your brain always likes a second point of reference.When you take off and your brain is going a million miles an hour but you're still going thirty it's handy to be able to look out the side and go "yeah, I'm in the right place...I can concentrate on other things", as soon as you go any faster those weird doubts only multiply, it only takes a fraction of  a second but it helps you focus.

The greying out thing isn't a gradual thing either, it doesn't make things a little blurry it's like getting stuck between TV channels......perfect picture then SNOW.After my first low-speed test track run in the tank I thought we'd be unable to use it because of the greying out.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.