Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436505 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
No Info from woody in the last 24 hours.

I think he's too busy signing autographs.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/successes/customer-story.htm?record=Design-Dreams-LLC-1&id=5001

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
If a gust of wind hits the left side of the body, causing the body to lean to the right, you have to steer to the right to compensate, which moves the body further to the left. 

Tom
Jon,
After making a CAD drawing of your steering linkage (without knowing any actual dimensions), I see that I was mistaken.  Turning to the right moves the wheel center to the left, which moves the body to the right. I think this is probably better, but I guess you're going to find out.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Jon

« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:03 AM »
Thanks Tom, post the pic that you sent me here if you want.

Woody has the model pretty much sorted, made a run with course mesh to get a prelim look at things.
No rude surprises yet, the Yaw study is the info I'm hanging for.

Here's a few of the pics he's sent me:
Streamflow:

Centre profile slice pressures:

Centre plan slice pressures:

The hole I'm punching in the air (or hope to):

Will put some more pics up and some data when it's done.

Cheers
Jon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:17:27 AM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering

Offline rgn

« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2012, 05:28:17 AM »
Looking great Jon.  It's going to be very slippery, and very fast.  I still don't understand why the rounded nose is superior when I look at these projections?

Loving the build and your openness in relation to it.  Educational stuff.  Thanks for sharing this.     :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »
Jon, are you working with this one shape, only?  Are you also looking at others?

Offline Jon

« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2012, 06:29:19 AM »
Thanks guys.

rgn; I've learnt heaps from this forum, most of it from people sharing things and others discussing it.
I hope to be able to give a fraction of that back, hopefully when Speedweek is done people smarter than me can share what they see here and the rest of Woody's work.
(there's some stuff I'm not sharing ;) )

Wobbly; hope not to study other shapes, my main interest is in the Yaw study that is still coming.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
Not much real work happening in my bike at the moment.

Caught up with the guy I'm going to get to CNC my body plug, going this way to make sure it's exactly as per my design.
I only spent a few weekends on the plug I have and I taught myself some while doing it so I dint mind leaving it.

Settled on the wheel fairing design I will use;

Nose and tail for the front wheel and blended teardrop for the rear.

Have the rules changed for cable steering on bikes?;

I have designed a linkage with zero bump but would prefer to use twin pull cables as much simpler.
99% of non commercial size planes are twin pull cable so they're proven safe.

Cheers
jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
Hello Jon, I love your project!  I use Solidworks every day and it is a great tool to build complex machines with very little of prototyping required.....very cool.   You are working on zero bump on your steering system and that is an important thing to havve on a motorcycle streamliner.  We had difficulty on Don Vesco's bike when Don had to steer into the wind, the linkage would have zero bump at straight ahead, but any turning of the wheel introduced bump steer and sever wobbles and sometimes a tipover on the side. The system I designed for the liner gave us zero bump steer throughout the full suspension movement as well as during all steering inputs.  You can get the full information by looking up patent number US4610461-zero bump steer on Google patent search under Matthew Guzzetta.  The system was used on Don's liner and Don also devised the system on the twin Vincent streamliner.  You are most welcome to use any version of the system on your machine, it is a positive system, simple to produce and has no flex or bending loads in the system.
Hope this can help your effort! :-D

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Jon

« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
Thanks for your very kind words and offer Max.
I will be sure to check out your system and try and learn from it.

One of the rules I set myself was zero bumpsteer over the full suspension and steering movements.
A single track vehicle, bumpsteer and precesion would be a deadly combination I think.

I will pursue a twin pull cable system as my first option and go from there.

Thanks
jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Can someone explain(breifly how the twin cable system wroks? :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline rgn

« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
If you are going with housing type cables as per the picture, couldn't you have both pull and push on both steering arms ie: 4 cables?  that way you could have the steering cables under tension?  Personally I don't like the housing type cables, as there is always a degree of flex.  Pull push on both side might negate this to some degree?

Offline Jon

« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
Thanks guys.

The steering pictured is hub centre steering.
Twin cables are just a way of replacing a push pull rod.
A cable does a good job of pulling, I don't trust them in a push situation enough for steering as they tend to bind up. I'm guessing that is why they were banned in steering systems.

By having twin cables they are both set up to pull and all the slack can be adjusted out.
In the picture above to turn the wheel right you pull the right side of the handlebars back which pulls the right side of the wheel back, at the same time the left cable is going forward (not pushing, still under tension), when you turn left the opposite action.

The whole system is under tension slightly at all times so no deadband when going from one direction to the other.
Planes have used this system pretty much exclusively for all control surfaces since the Wright brothers.

The advantage of this system that I'm chasing isthat by using housing type cables is if the ends of the cable housings don't move relative to the master and slave cable ends they are free to move realize to each other without anything weird happening.

E.G. In the above picture the swingarm can move up and down whic causes the the wheel to move in a slight arc changing the distance between the handlebar pivot and the axle, because this arc isn't changing the distance between the steered hub and the cable housing anchor on the swingarm there is no bumpsteer.

Theoretically you can do it with one push pull cable but not while my a$$ is on the line sorry.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »
Loooong time I've posted an update.

Had some stuff happening that's been priority.

Woody and I have been killing a fair few email electrons getting some wheel fairings sorted onto my body.
I've been a little particular about the shape of them but recon the end product would put a horn on a jellyfish.  :0

Woody's going to see what the CFD thinks of it then do the yaw study that started all this.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
Jon
one small thing you have to consider with the wheel fairings is that the streamliner must be able lean 20° each way
It's in the rules
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline rgn

« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
Looking good Jon.  Any update on cable steering aspirations?   :cheers: