Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 434563 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
I am thinking the low-speed wind and steady side-pressure acts much like counter-steering at the handlebars. All is influenced by the amount of trail and the tire profile....including sidewall flex. Some level of correction can also be achieved by shifting rider weight on the pegs....or in your case.....on your arse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stories from '59 tell about the Triumph Cub Streamliner that was leaned-over so far that the carb was starving for fuel.......now we have wind limitations for safety.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline rgn

« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
Isn't the reaction described in the delta bike design competition link about body shape causing a desired reaction to cross wind more than the innate characteristics of a motorcycle or streamliner.  

You could build this kind of compromise into your design I guess, but would you want to?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:02:38 PM by rgn »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
Jon, some thoughts on tails are in the Team Go Dog, Go build diary.  I did not want to hijack your thread.  It might be a good idea to talk to Mike Akatif about this.  They took the parachute doors off of their liner during record runs and the pointy tail became a truncated one.  Handling was changed as I recall.

Offline Jon

« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm not planning on changing anything in my build re the steering, I was trying to understand the interaction that was causing it to roll (quite hard by the look of it) into the wind and then see if I wasn't doing the opposite of it inadvertently, that would exagerate the wind caused roll.
I "think" I'm ok, I need a fingers crossed smiley.

Thanks for that Wobbly, feel free to post whatever you want in my build, I do follow yours closely.

Will get some work done on my bike this weekend ( where's that damn fingers crossed smiley)
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jon

« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Well... Scratch getting stuck into build work this weekend.

Woody just gave me a heap of homework for his CFD analysis work, I'm impressed by the amount of detail that he is asking for.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
Well... Scratch getting stuck into build work this weekend.

Woody just gave me a heap of homework for his CFD analysis work, I'm impressed by the amount of detail that he is asking for.

Cheers
jon

:evil: :evil: in the detail!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Jon

« Reply #336 on: July 22, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
Not much to show for the weekend.
Did Woody's homework, tacked in a couple bars around my feet area, welded up a couple more that I was happy with and started shortening some stainless bolts for my rose joints.
All my rose joints will have a plate either side so that the bolt is in double shear, I want the bolts to have straight shank in the first plate, through the rosejoint and at least part of the second plate.
I'm using plated castle nuts as have some bad experiences with stainless to stainless threads even with neverseize.

One of the early pics back from Woody;

Wheel fairings are coming later.

I'm crap at CAD, I can make something in steel quicker than I can draw it on a computer.
I know you can do stress analysis and motion stuff to see if things work but not this little black duck.
My design goes; I need to do this, that looks about right,  it's pushing/pulling that way, it moves that way, if it fails it's going to do that, measure, cut, tack, stand back and look and cut various bits of my anatomy depending how it looks.

I am going to do something you can actually see soon, honest....

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #337 on: July 22, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
I'm with you Jon, CNC at my place stands for "cut n cardboard" but I can sure whittle some $hit.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
Fair few emails going back and forth beteen Woody and I.

This was in the last one;

I think it indicates that my overall design shape isn't too bad at a pre CFD run look.
To be honest I have NFI but it looks ok, black is bad but the tail being a little draggy can help with stability from some of the stuff I've read, I read too much.

I'm out in the field at the moment and was talking about this with one of my mates who's the chopper pilot.
He designs aeroplane paintjobs as a sideline, I generally like to paint stuff white but obviously not the go for a salt vehicle.

I like the large checker pattern from my last post so I gave Dan (the chopper pilot) that and a couple other things I wanted and he's going to sketch something up.

I'm not going to see if I can get sponsored by a toothpaste company as I keep getting told at work, they always end up getting rolled up from one end or squeezed in the middle.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #339 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »
The "Ipana Liner" sounds good Jon. Can ya still get that down there?  :mrgreen:
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #340 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
I think it indicates that my overall design shape isn't too bad at a pre CFD run look.
To be honest I have NFI but it looks ok, black is bad but the tail being a little draggy can help with stability from some of the stuff I've read, I read too much.

Looks PBG to me, if you've got drag anywhere that's where you want it, remember Sam has a tailfin......

From memory that is one of the cleaner CFD's Woody has put up, slight differential at the tip of the nose but that's about it.

Hey Sid, you can get it anywhere.....oh, BUY IT you mean......nah, only in Turkey it seems.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline rgn

« Reply #341 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »
Hi Jon, in relation to our nose shape discussion, here is a good link that goes into the topic.  Seems for subsonic flight (as you mentioned) the parabola is king.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0151.shtml

If you paint it checked, not yellow and black... too crash test...  :lol:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #342 on: July 24, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
Thats right Goggs, with the gift of the gab it can be got & still is bein.  :-D   Those bluddy turkey's!
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #343 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
Thanks guys, hopefully no toothpaste tube impersonations coming this way.

That pic isn't from a high speed CFD analysis yet so I'm expecting it too look worse as we go on.

I want to run a nose nozzle from the stagnation point but will have a bit of trouble getting the air past me.
Have a couple of plans, one should work hopefully.

Trying to get the exhaust out the back will be fun too.

Cheers
Jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
The nose looks a lot like the nose on Al Teagues streamliner.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah