Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 435701 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #315 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
Jon, we are all behind you and know you can do it. Keep up the good work. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #316 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
Jon;

Karabiners are handy for attaching lines to tow a race car. Lots of other stuff too, besides climbing.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #317 on: July 14, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
I haven't seen your shape Mate but Goggs tells me you're a sexy bitch. Oh w-w-were you talkin about ya bike? Did I say that out loud? :-D
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #318 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
Thanks Glen, the support I have received from people on this site is huge, I hope to meet some of you oneday.

That explains his Facebook "preferences" Sid, I'll send you some pics, I'm not wearing Ugg Boots.

jon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:53:49 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »
Jon, just fab the shell where the windshield will be, make the mold and send it out, and then finish the rest of the bod while they make the shield.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2012, 03:52:57 AM »
I'm getting "maneuvered" by a Queenslander and a bloody Kiwi, if my friends hear about this there'll be trouble......

Jon I was looking at your plan view and wondered what Woody will come back with . I feel you may be able to afford more width at the front allowing you to start the taper sooner, avoiding the rapid transition to the tail.

I am not making any suggestions, or judgements on what you have and am conscious of a conversation I had with Greg Watters around tail design on fully faired bikes, it was based around the contention that there is a lull ( in incremental advances in the APS)at the moment because a few guys have handling problems and suspect they are due to their tail design.*

Something else we all have to remember is that the best aero shapes aren't necessarily the most stable, in fact the best are very unstable. This is one of the great compromises and like a good marriage it's in the compromises that the smart decisions are made.......hey I should know I'm 3 and a half months in. :roll:

* that statement was pulled straight out of my arse and is not the opinion of any riders
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:17 AM »
Wobbly; hopefully i wont have to, fingers crossed.

Goggles: I'm glad you were checking out my plan and not my profile :0
The maximum width that far back was planned and not accidental, I think (hope) the tail closing angle is ok.
It's short on purpose, the lead on my welder is only 4m (13 foot) long.

NLF is not a myth.
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »
Crow muncher's & bloody Kiwi's, tuff combo.  :evil: :evil:
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
Jon;

Karabiners are handy for attaching lines to tow a race car. Lots of other stuff too, besides climbing.

Always have a 'biner or two with me. Handy stuff! People look at you funny if you carry your crampons and ice axes tho....................... :wink:

Offline maj

« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
How big will the screen have to be ? are you looking at a full aircraft style or a small window to see the track , If a small window is all thats needed you could probably do that yourself when the missus is out for the day

Gogs, i'm part way through making the new tail, let you know after WOS if it makes a difference 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
Jon;

Always have a 'biner or two with me. Handy stuff! People look at you funny if you carry your crampons and ice axes tho....................... :wink:
Yeah, crampons and ice axes are pretty much single-purpose devices. But, like a parachute, when you need one you need one bad.

Offline Jon

« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
No ice axes or crampons for me, lately though I left my Madock (Adze) at my daughters place while helping her and her fiancé remove some trees, a couple weeks later I needed it at home so my daughter met me at her station 1/2 way home on the train and gave it to me.
You get some weird looks on a train when carrying a Madock....

Maj; it will be a full canopy to meet the 120degree vision rules, I think I have found someone that will do something in PETG.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
Jon, the PETG is a good choice.  It is easier to work with and has less tendency to form internal bubbles upon heating than the polycarbonate I used. 

Offline Jon

« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Everything you read says "COG must be in front of COP" else you have a problem.

How does this vehicle have self correcting tendencies in a crosswind?
http://www.deltabike.us/forge-A/cross-wind.htm

To quote the above page;
"...The vehicle does NOT start to incline away from the crosswind direction, but leans automatically into the wind, the more forward the LCP (longitudinal center of pressure) the more leaning against the wind. The reason is, that the trail of the steering produces a steering moment into the wind by counterdeflection that causes a roll input at least 3 times greater than the moment ..." Arnold Wagner

The way I read this is;
The sidewind pushes on the body, this sideways force acts on the headstock, because of the trail offset this would steer the front wheel toward the wind.

Wouldn't precession cause the bike to lean downwind and to turn downwind?
What am I missing?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

The sidewind pushes on the body, this sideways force acts on the headstock, because of the trail offset this would steer the front wheel toward the wind.

Blonde moment.....
Steering pivot is in front of wheel contact point (obviously) the sideways pressure on the headstock will turn the wheel downwind; precession will then roll the bike into the wind.

So....for the same body sideways movement;
Less trail would create more wheel angular change and cause more of a lean in????

Does that make sense?
jon
Underhouse Engineering