Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436643 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #300 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »
Well Jon, I was wandering around Youtube during lunch today & found another bike bike configuration like yours. It is the human powered category. Is that where the inspiration came from or do you just have a short shed?
  Sid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClASxQ25Za0&feature=related

Offline Jon

« Reply #301 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40:13 PM »
Sid; You should be building not surfing the net.

The human powered vehicles were some of the designs I looked at while coming up with my shell shape.
Along with solar racers, NACA research papers, high efficiency aeroplanes, sailing boat hulls etc.
I have a weird collection of books, including Goggles favorite author.

Now get back to your welder.  :roll:
Jon

Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #302 on: June 21, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »
Theres two things I need to rest a few times a day, my feet & my brain. The computater is the perfect place for both. I put in another 15hr day today & it's almost midnight, one slave driver is more than enough around here, you.......
I'm goin ta bed, over here we're still a day late & about two dollars short now.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #303 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:27 AM »
The human powered vehicles were some of the designs I looked at while coming up with my shell shape.
Along with solar racers, NACA research papers, high efficiency aeroplanes, sailing boat hulls etc.
I have a weird collection of books, including Goggles favorite author.

what?  Morgan Hastings? ? ? ? that's not an easy book to find......certain taste too... :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
That video was so annoying with the editing and music, I could only watch a little over a minute of it before it had to go.  Would have liked to see what it was about, but I couldn't stand waiting to see.  Oh well, it's helll getting old.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #305 on: June 21, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Stan - and others, pardon this quick hijack:

I agree about the music that's behind so many videos and even power point shows -- it's annoying and doesn't contribute to my ability to get value out of the visual stuff.  Maybe the person that puts the stuff together really likes the sound track -- but maybe I don't, and I'll either try to turn off the audio anyway or just not follow through and watch it at all.  I don't want to hear your choice of sounds unless they contribute directly -- such as the roar of an engine on the dyno, or the audio from the people crashing into the fence and screaming in agony, but NOT the sound track from your headbanger band or the lullaby your great-aunt used to sing (unless said video relates to either of those things).

Okay - hijack has ended.  If you wanna join me in bitching -- let's start another thread and take the chance that Dan W. won't object to further diluting the scope of the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #306 on: June 21, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
Yep, mute or exit or none of the above, your choice.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #307 on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
I sent my harness pics to Bob Stroud to double check my geometry, I thought the shoulder belts should come down lower.
His reply is that they're correct.

The 9 points are a pain in the a$s to get both sEts of shoulder belts tight at the same time, when I get them so I'm happy I'm going to trim the excess belt with a hotknife leaving 6" loose after they are fully wrapped back in.
I've cleared this with Bob and it won't effect recertification, this will let me put the belts in exactly the same at the start of each meet with minor fiddling to get them right.

I went pull down and pull up on the lap belt as per Stainless suggestion and with a Latch & Link system as per Stainless and Sid.

Very happy, thanks for your help guys.
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2012, 03:35:36 AM »
Finished machining up front axle clamps and tacked up front yoke today;

Front yoke tubes didn't quite fit in my dropsaw so had to do a bit of creative clamping;

Started getting the yoke mounts roughed out.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Jon

« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
Not much to show for today, flying out for work @ 3:00.

Bottom suspension mounts made and tacked onto yoke;

Will add gussets after I get it in the bike and am happy with geometry and movement arcs.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline rgn

« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Not much to show for today

Ha.  Your work rate is quite impressive Jon, as is your vision.  I'm enjoying this build.   :cheers:

Offline Jon

« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »
Thanks rgn; my progress is sporadic as this isn't my highest priority and my design is unproven.
Time will tell wether I have a functional plan and execution.

You building or planning a build?

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline rgn

« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
...my design is unproven.  Time will tell wether I have a functional plan and execution.

All designs are unproven until implemented.  Without vision and a goal nothing would ever be achieved.  I believe your build will be an exceptional culmination.

I'm educating myself atm.  There is a lot to absorb in this land of giants.  In the future I will build, next year I will front with a couple of road race machines and get a feel for the salt, and learn what I can from the experienced participants.  Cheers,
Ralph.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
I agree Ralph, he is proving to be a bit of fabricator isn't he?
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Not much to look at lately.

Weekend before last was work so I could take some weekdays off to get some stuff done.
Last weekend was a rockclimbing course with my daughter to set up anchors so we can go outdoors more rather than gym climbing.

I'm at a point where I have to stop doing fabrication for a little while if I'm going to run in February.
To run in February I need to order my screen in October, to do that I need a mold.
To make a mold I need to have the body finished.
To have the body finished I need to be 100% happy with my shape.

I'm 98.5% happy with my shape, expect to see some input from Woody soon.
It's like my chutes, I'm not afraid to get input from people who know their $hit.

It's still happening.
jon
Underhouse Engineering