Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 435848 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »

Yep!! Cool huh?
So are you the first crazy fuc.... I mean are you the first bikeliner in Oz?
  Sid.

I hope to never grow up.

There's a few of us crazy fuc.... I mean bikeliners in Aus that I know of, most of them a lot further on than me.

Lucky Keiser has run with his Merlin Vee twin then a 351 clevo (I think), its retired and in the Laidely bike museum and he now has his 2nd bike running.

Ross has his 3 engine Voodoo Rocket build diary on the DLRA website.

Bones has a build under way that we get the occasional glimpse of in the background of other pics but he isn't giving a lot away.

The grapevine says there's a multi Bussa engined project on down south, I've heard 2&3 engines, Grumm says 3 and he wouldn't take the Plymouth.

I'm the jony come lately.

Cheers
jon

Yep, there is a three Busa bike liner being built in this state. The guy building  it , Ken, doesn't have much time for the internet, he's too busy. But I've seen it and it's real
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
Jon, I went with the rotary buckle and i like it. Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
Jon, in a small vehicle think about the distance to work things associated with the belts.  the duck lever latch is the easiest to reach and move when you are tight and restrained.   The rotary can be a pain when your elbows cant move outboard.  Our laps have 2 adjusters on each belt, cross pull and up pull, if you have only  one or the other you will have issues (Sparky take a note here).  The cross pulls are good for initial buckeling in, the up pull for final tightening.  When the lakester belts get back from DJ Safety I can post a picture if you would like.  Make sure you shoulder belts have the adjusters a couple of inches from your helmet.  The cheek belts are the anti-submarine belts, the crotch belt is there to hold the lap and shoulder belts in place.  When you are in riding position, draw a line straight down the front of your body, where it intersects the floor is where that belt mounts, not down and next to the boys. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
Good tips Stainless, thanks for chiming in. :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
We incorporated a 1" x 3" wood dowel on the end of the strap that unlatches the "duck lever".  It sure is easy to find among the other strap ends and bunched up fire suit.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jon

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
Thanks guys

Hope to get seat made and harness measured and ordered this weekend.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
Heres a little more opinion for ya Jon.
The way that your belts adjust is logic, you have to be able to sinch the driver down in the vehicle.
I personally don't like camlock type. I was trapped by a stuck one after a crash back in my Sydney days & they had to cut the belts to get me out. I woulda been effed if it had been burning. I favour the simple latch & lever.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Thanks Sid

Between you and Stainless looks like I will get the latch and link, I was originally going to go with the twist release as I thought it looked easier to work with.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
I agree on the lever, the twist to release is hard to manage with gloves and arm restraints.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
In most of the lay down vehicles, you can't actually see the release mechanisim when you're strapped in so put something on the tear tab that you can feel with your gloves on.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
Not much to look at this weekend, redirected to family stuff Saturday arvo & Mothers Day today.

Got seat back mocked up and 2 sets of shoulder belt mount tubes tacked in.

Measured up and emailed off order for 9 point harness, Strouds are holding my pilot chutes to send all in the one package.
Went with Strouds as they will inspect and recertify their harnesses, they will be kept in a Esky with the my helmet, Head and Neck Restraint, fire suit, chute and some mothballs for 51 weeks of the year.

Cheers
jon

Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
They probably don't know what an Esky is over here mate, moth balls, maybe!
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Hi, been a while since I posted.

Spent a week servicing ute, sorting camping gear etc to go to Lake Gairdner then packing it all away again when it was cancelled.

Chucked some camping gear on my Guzzi and went for a bit of a ride in central Queensland going nowhere in particular, around 1500 miles, the guy I was going to ride to the lake with and his mate came as well, was a good break.

New pilot chutes, harness and arm restraints turned up in the mail while i was away, minor hickup with the harness but its getting sorted so all good.

Got back onto my build yesterday, started machining up the front axle mount;

The small blocks weld onto the front suspension yoke, the lower control arms rose joint onto the bigger blocks. Pretty steady going on little mill/drill, the big blocks will go on a diet after it's all together and I get a good visual on the load paths.

Will put a couple sheets of paper between the mating faces of the big/little blocks before boring them so that they clamp the axle tight.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2012, 05:37:41 AM »
You were going to ride that to the lake?
Bahahahahahaha
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
Grumm, I don't think that's exactly what he said.  :roll: Wayno