Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436373 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
Jon, you may wish to take a look at this
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22
I was wondering how you came up with the height for your tether mount without having most of the bike together. It could be more "interesting" than you're looking for if it's wrong.  :-o Wayno

Offline Jon

« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
Thanks Sid & Wayno
Doesn't everyone use the cam tunnel height or wouldn't that work in a OHC semi reclined bike¿  :-o

I've taken the weights and COG locations of most of the heavy items; me, motor, fuel tank, cooling system, wheels, fire system, landing gear and using their weights x&y moment arms worked out where I think COG height will end up.

Like the rest of my bike it's my best guess to start with.

Chute dimensions;
Canopy diameter 1.75m (5' 2")
Pilot to D-bag 3m (10')
Main line to bridle 13m (42' 6")
Bridle lines 2.5m (8' 2")
Makes the canopy 15.5m (50') from the tether, the tether is 0.6m (2') behind the rear axle.

Canopy;

Chute;

Cheers
jon
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:48:32 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Doesn't everyone use the cam tunnel height or wouldn't that work in a OHC semi reclined bike¿  :-o

gives as good as he gets :wink: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
Somewhere on this site there's either a picture or a link to a picture of the Ack Attack streamliner hanging from a crane by its chute attachment point. The rider is installed so that it's pretty easy to see whether the attachment point is in the right location by the way it hangs.

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Food time again in the high country. :roll:
The cam tunnel thing is aimed at a pushrod auto type engine, CG is what you're looking for.
 If you make the ends of your four links bolt up to the frame, you'll be able to adjust the tow hight down the road if you need to.
In my opinion, all the chute companies tend to hook us up with too much canopy, their job is to get you stopped.
Test your chute off the back of the ute so you know what you have before you toss it out the back of your bike. If they behave well in the turbulance behind a road vehicle, thats a good indication.
Ribbon chutes tend to be less problem than long panel cross form.
  Sid.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
There is probably a better picture out there, but this should give you an idea.  Tony
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=177621
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Jon

« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:41 AM »
Thanks guys

Sid; thought a kiwi would pick Ausi sarcasm 

Ive seen the Ack Attack pic, you won't be seeing me copying that anytime soon.

Got the rear suspension rocker mount done today between shortening the grass and other stuff;

Still got a rear gusset and bolt boss to weld on.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
I lived in Sydney for 10 years before I came over here. That whole hanging thing is a little extreme, not to mension risky.
  Sid.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
 I Dunno, Sid, your Hiway `chute test stories seemed about as risky..... :-D :-D

Offline Jon

« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Been thinking about the ute test for the chute.
Bit of open road between here and Lake Gairdner. :evil:

I currently have pilot chutes in seperate tubes, to further simplify my bike I would like to launch the pilot chute from the main tube with the spring attached to the pilot chute.

Similar to the pilot launch drag chutes, is anyone using them for LSR?
I'm guessing the pilot chute would get knocked about a bit by draging on the salt while slowing down with the weight of the spring in it.

Any advice/experience would be great thanks.

I want to keep the D-bag/pilot chute system, I don't want to launch the main chute by spring or air.

Cheers
Jon
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:13:24 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
 I Dunno, Sid, your Hiway `chute test stories seemed about as risky..... ---- :-o  thats why the have access roads!---been there do that  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:37 PM »
Most people using tube chute systems pack the spring type pilot in with the rest of the laundry. I've seen a few cars with seperate pilot system but don't see the point in complicating things any more than you have to.
I've built a couple of successful high speed systems this way in the past. The system on Al Teagues liner was idiot proof & faultless for 12 years & went beyond 400mph.
The pilots do get knocked around some but they last pretty good & they're not a lot of money to replace plus you need spares any way.
The chute testing that "cousin Paul" speeks of, was me testing my chutes with my blown Riviera at twice the speed limit. I packed them up in a cardboard box, sat them on my lap & when I got up to speed, tossed them out the window. It was interesting, got the results I needed & gave the local farmers something to talk about. My nabor came along for the ride on the second day, he still talks about it. I did repeated hits, increasing the speed each time. I wanted to know that they would fly straight, not spin or hunt.
When you deploy a low speed in front of a high speed, the high speed will collaps & hit the deck anyway plus you will tend to get burn marks on the low speed canopy from sliding down the high speed tow line.
Tossing out a high speed is a gentiler way to settle into the laundry without the big hit & then if you need it, use the low speed. I would expect this would be more critical on a bike liner.
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
Not risky at all Sparky, a long wide county road with no driveways that looks like it's built for testing something!
We too Steve's Cobra Torino over there too.
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
My pilot chute is spring loaded inside the main chute tube. I "test drove" it in the shop the other day and it shot out straight and true about 8 feet. That was how long the cord was to the main bag. Wayno

Offline Jon

« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice.
Simpler is what I was after, if I dint have a part it can't break.  :-)

I will carry spares, if I get a meet out of a pilot chute I will be happy.

I have plenty of length in my main tubes, the springs taper so I'm guessing when they're packed they're pretty thin?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering