Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436519 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Jon, better put some access ports in the wheel cover for cleaning out the salt between runs.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2012, 12:58:31 AM »
Jon, I'm curious as to why you have the wheel base so short that the front wheel is parked up against your nuts?
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »
Thanks guys

Sparky; I'm pretty happy with it, I stashed it in a box under the bench today.

Stainless; I'm putting a 200 x 300 (8"x12") hatch in front/top, the front and back go straight down from the longest point and it's pretty wide.

Sid; keeps them warm :)   
I have some weird theories.
I had a bit of time to sit around some books and spend a bit of time searching the www a couple years ago.

Im trying to get about 50/50 weight distribution on my wheels, and Im trying to keep the total weight down.
I'm one of the heaviest single components so trying to get my weight as far forward as I can.

I got a bit of time to get back to the bike today.
Got the back yoke and rocker tacked up;

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
Weird theories are common place around here so you're in good company, hopefully you dont end up singing saprano! :|
Wheelbase ads straight line stability plus allows better aerodynamics & a little lead in the front could counteract your fat arse.
Your rear swing arm looks to have a bunch of angle in it, thats going to want to unload the rear end & possably create a wheel spin problem. All this could add up to being one squirly bitch.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
I was pretty worried about the swingarm angle as well Sid and commented the same a few pages back.
It's not as steep as it looks in that pic, I don't have enough room on that side of the bike to take a square on pic.
I was worried that it would have too much antisquat and jack the suspension up while driving then unload too much if it started to spin.
I emailed a few of the frontrunners in streamliner bikes and got the same feedback from them; the coefficient of friction on salt is too low to jack the suspension much, especially as the chainline is a lot closer to parallel with the swingarm than on a road geared bike.

Yeh it's short, wheelbase and overall length, wheelbase is similar to Sam Wheelers bike but less hanging outside the wheelbase.
Again from my weird ideas;
I don't want any straight sections in the body, it's plan view is a NACA low drag wing just wide enough to fit the motor in.

I dont know if im heading in the right direction or not , time will tell I guess.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Sounds like you're up to speed with it mate. High drive angle will make a car loose on the salt, sounds like it's not such an issue for a bike but like you said, the angle is deceiving.
I dont have much time to follow builds in depth, I'm just busy working & building the liner. I don't even have a TV, no time to watch it.
I eyeball your build & a couple of others once in a while, just the stuff that interest me.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »

I dont have much time to follow builds in depth, I'm just busy working & building the liner. I don't even have a TV, no time to watch it.
I eyeball your build & a couple of others once in a while, just the stuff that interest me.
  Sid.

Words of a special construction freak, living in my idea of paradise.

Doors? fenders? TV?

meh!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

Sid.

Doors? fenders? TV?

meh!

Amen, same thing here on the ranch. Minimal Am radio, no TV but a good internet connection.

Offline Jon

« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »

Sid.

Doors? fenders? TV?

meh!

That would be nice,,,,,, any update pics Sid.

People ask me "did you see this or that on TV?", standard response now is "sorry i didn't catch it, i have a real life"
Whats with the reality TV thing, none of that stuuff is remotely like reality.

Im definitely not "up to speed on it" Sid, if it doesnt work out I'm in for some major rework.
I'm just trusting a couple of guys that have built bikes gone pretty quick that recon it should be OK.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »
Not much to take pic's of at the mo Jon, I have more out of the chassis than in it right now. I did the big direction change with all the driveline stuff so I'm building adaptors for the rear t-case & overdrive unit. The front t-case is down at B&J getting the front overdrive unit. I spent two long days carving on a piece of 8 inch round bar to come up with the trans adaptor. I'm not a machinest by far, just a mountain man with some machinery.

When it comes to your liner, you'll get heaps of advise on how it should be done. Logic is your best tool to weed out the stuff you dont need & never forget mate, "keep it simple".
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
Hi

Got the chute tether frame in 1/2 made today;

There is cross and vetical tubes going where the back of the chute tubes is as both the top and bottom tubes bend in there;

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
In the off season this thing can double as as a mailbox to handle the "poster tubes"  :-o

Jon keep on-- keep on  the internet is up to being as addictive as TV   I just noticed in the last 13 years I have logged over 37 days on this site---wow
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »
In the off season this thing can double as as a mailbox to handle the "poster tubes"  :-o

Jon keep on-- keep on  the internet is up to being as addictive as TV   I just noticed in the last 13 years I have logged over 37 days on this site---wow

Slacker, in a couple years I have 22 days! Wait?................................ DOH!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
Jon,  I'm having lunch & checking out your crap. Some things you need to know about chutes. The further back from the rear wheel the attachment point is, the more leverage the chute has to pull your vehicle sideways in a cross breeze when it hits. Secondly, the attachment point hight idealy needs to be on CG to avoid lifting the nose or the tail. A touch low is a truckload better than too high.
The breeze is never straight on, there is always a slip angle.
Your mail box looks pretty big, how much chute do you plan on packing?
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
Thanks guys.

I sent the top pic to my kids just after I took it, my daughter said it looked looked like a mailbox too..

I'm fortunate that I know nothing about chutes beyond 1 tandem skydive for my 40th so I contacted Bob Stroud.
He put together a chute package based on my guesstimated weight and speed.
I only have a low speed chute at the moment, hopefully oneday I will go quick enough to need a high speed chute.

It's a ribbon style chute in a D-bag with long tether lines, the tether lines take up more room in the chute tube than the D-bag.
They are not a tight fit in the tube, volume or cross section wise.
The tubes have a 20mm (3/4") taper over their length to let the D-bag slide out easier.

I will take some pictures and measurements of the chute today.

Cheers
jon

Underhouse Engineering