Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436399 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
Jon, as you're thinking about a rotisserie, think about this.  :-D It doesn't have to be extravagant. Wayno

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
You can also do this. Wayno

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Jon,  Do you ever sleep? Amazing how much you have done in such a short time. Gets me motivated.
This site has some good drivetrain and speed calculators for bikes. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/gearspeed.html   
Has a chain/sprocket calculator also. You can even calculate tire growth and wheel spin.
John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:39:25 AM by Vinsky »
John

Offline Freud

« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
Wayno.........brilliant on the plywood for the bike frame.

That's good thinking.  The plywood is strong and the bike weight is not out of the question.

No doubt it will serve a good purpose.

If it is built early on in the assembly it will be most useful.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Jon

« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
Thanks guys

RGN; The most sought after real-estate in Melbourne is in Queensland :)

Stainless; thanks for the calculator, I will have a play with it at work, I don't have Internet other than yuppiephone @ home.

Max and Stainless; thanks for sharing, I will add this to mine and drop to one nozzle. As you say by the time you fit a rider in one of these there's not a lot of airspace, they're all different other than being tight everywhere.....

Wayno; I saw that, top idea, hopefully my shape wont cone to rest on its roof but i can you that for my laying over bailout drills. How is your build coming along, it's one of the ones I hope to see an update on when I log on.

John; Thanks for the kind words, I sleep plenty; on the train to and from work is good for 40 minutes each way.
It probably looks like I get a bit done cos it's a fairly simple build and I only work on one thing at a time while I think about and collect bits for the next bit.

While I'd like a rotisserie for a big project I probably won't end up with one for this.
There's only about a dozen welds that I can't get to easily on the table and I don't have a lot of room.

I'm working in a double garage with a post in the centre, and another in the middle of the doors.
The build table goes up one side of the centre with little lathe, mill, vice, pedestal grinder and storage racks between it and that side wall and a small bench at the end.
The other side back wall has my rollcab, MIG with TIG on top, storage rack full of plastic tub with tools in them then an old bookshelf with consumables on it intrudes in to the laundry.

The the other side wall has steel leaning against it and the body plug sitting on a couple of camp chairs, Dave's rollcab, his CBR1000f M bike and other projects in there quite often see us with the cars parked in the street and working in the driveway.

Under the build table is Streamliner bits, home for the dropsaw and other "useful" items that need a home.

The tubing for the frame hangs in the roof of the BBQ area, homemade folder sits next to the rainwater tank and it's invariably raining every time we need to fold something.

Short version is I don't have enough room for the table and rotisserie at the same time.

My cousin was moving house last weekend and getting rid of a frame we made up to support a couple of 135hp outboards while he refurbished his Sharkcat, bonus, will be the start of a trolley for the body plug so I can work on it outside, it has a bit of work before it is good enough to make a mould

Cheers
Jon

Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
I have used this calculator and it works exceptionally well.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html

Joe

Offline maj

« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
John mine are TTS not pitted, fitted in 04 , but  seen little use, i drag raced the bike between salt meets for a couple of years but it was only in 5th for a very short time , and i can count the number of runs at the salt without taking my boots off

Another Aussie busa thats had a few more runs has removed his after the first season, not sure what brand, don't think it matters all that much , if you want overdrive gears just get top gear and learn to live with a bit of a step from 5th

My fave gearing calculator
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2012, 03:03:39 AM »
lovely bit of turning on the hub Jon,Could you get a couple of bits of drain pipe and make a small frame for them to use as rollers to turn it like a set of steel pyramid rolls without the top roll, Alternativley do what I do and bribe buddys with beer and make a day of it!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Jon

« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:47 AM »
Thanks Guys.

Maj; why do they run overdrive boxes rather than just smaller sprocket on the rear?
Machining the cush drive to take a smaller sprocket has got to be easier & cheaper than splitting the box.

Oz; Now there's a good option  :cheers:

Family day yesterday, very nice.

Drilled rear hub holes and made disk carrier today.
The rear hub was too tall to fit in my mill with the chuck on the rotary table so took it off and then pulled the top travel stopper off the column of the mill to get the last little bit.
From sprocket carrier end;

Bit bulky this end but has enough material to remachine to take a sprocket in line with Bussa output shaft.

Brake disk end;

The two Niko marks next to the bolt circle are for jacking bolts as it's a size for size fit.
The 5 holes were originally to fit an extension bar through so that I can check the wheelnuts (lug nuts I think you guys call them) but the shape of the rim centre won't let me get a socket in there so they will have to be big enough to get a 1" socket through.

Side view;

Made myself some work today by basic mistake, I always nag at Dave when he's milling "lock all the slides that you aren't turning", so....
Talking to a guy while setting up the brake adaptor mounting bolts trying to divide PCD by 2 then count turns and remaining millimeters while saying yep and nah in the right gaps in conversation.
Didn't lock the longitudinal travel and it crept a fraction while I was doing the boltholes.
It fitted together but one bolt was snug, it was an 8mm bolt in 8mm hole so only the thread undersize for clearance.
Could have drilled them 8.5mm for clearance but it's a slippery slope when I start doing that so welded up the holes and started again.

It feels heavier than I would have liked but it's strong and simple so I'm happy, it can diet later when I have nothing better to do.
Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
Nice! distractions are always a pain and sometimes its good to work alone but the amount of hours that goes into a build can sometimes make a build a bit lonely from time to time.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
yeah but when you have a SENIOR (what's left) :cry: with ADD you need the second mind around just to keep one ROUNDED up :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
Jon, parts with really tight clearances can corrode together and are very hard to take apart.  This was a big problem with some things I made when I started the build.  Lately I have been building with some extra clearance and smearing everything with a light film of marine grade anti seize.  An 8.5 mm hole for an 8 mm thread is not unreasonable.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
you'll be finished that thing before I get our diff reassembled.......

I always nag at Dave when he's milling "lock all the slides that you aren't turning", so....
Talking to a guy while setting up the brake adaptor mounting bolts trying to divide PCD by 2 then count turns and remaining millimeters while saying yep and nah in the right gaps in conversation.

"Jon, Jon, hey Jon....oh I was gonna say mind that thing with your head, that must have hurt any way....like I was saying.....do you remember the time when...."

At that point you look at your friend and wonder where they've hidden the beer or food they should have brought with them and hand them a broom, "walk around behind that for a bit and try to keep your gob shut, I'm trying to concentrate"

Yeah. OK I'm going.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
When you get to the salt that little extra weight on the rear may be helpful!

I get more things done in one pass when I turn off the radio or TV in my garage!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Jon

« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
The annoying bit is I got the PCD & the turns on the dividing head right and just did a really basic stuffup, anyway it happens and it was salvageable

Wobbly; I expect it to be a bear to get apart but hopefully at some stage it will be running at 5,000rpm+ so want it located fairly well, hence the jacking bolts.  While I'm building I'm putting together worklists, part of the get home list is to remove the brake disk carrier so that it doesn't have much time to get too attached.

Goggles; Don't think so, I expect your finished welding already?
You've played that game before by the sound of it.

Old Scrambler; I'm in the not too heavy camp when it comes to the heavy or light debate, especially unsprung bits that rotate.

Cheers
Jon

Underhouse Engineering