Author Topic: Australian Streamliner Bike Build  (Read 436415 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Australian Streamliner Bike Build
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
Jon,
It looks to me like your swing arm pivots will be midway between lower and upper horizontal frame tubes.  I would add diagonal tubes in front of the swing arm pivots upward to upper frame tubes and downward to lower frame tubes to stiffen up the pivot points. In other words, triangulated to carry the forces into the main frame. Keep the swingarm movement to a bare minimum to keep chain length consistent (I guess that's obvious).

As for center hub steering, it sounds to me like you have the expertise to make, get made, or borrow one, as they are (I believe) considered to be the best solution, and should be easier to fit now, than to try to retro-fit later.  Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in with a simple design, which I, too, would like to see.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
Ok, I see your bike liner rule, I like the way it's written, "when it's laid over" not if!

No build diary on my liner. It's a AA/BFS 4WD with a 605 inch KB600, plan on being on the salt next year, a year late.
Goggles has a couple of pics he might share with you.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
Thanks guys;

Tom; Agree fully about trying to spread the forces back into a stronger part of the frame, they're isn't much room back there for gussets beyond the ones I've shown. The motor is only a couple mm from the crosstube.
Them along with a fairly solid swingarm pivot shaft at 20mm (13/16") I hope will be up to the task.

I originally looked at a hub centre setup, hopefully I can get my front end tacked up over Easter, if it doesn't move the way I want I will looking at it again I guess.

Sid; I will probably test the trigger mechanism a few times while learning to ride it.
Sounds like an interesting build will harass Goggles for pics.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
tried to send you some pics....the bigbizzo email address doesn't like my email ( fourdoorshitbox) "contains profanity "....if you have another email let me know..... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Only work email sorry Goggles, might have to get anotherone happening.

Will PM you Dave's
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
I'm not surprised, mine wasn't happy with fourdoor in either.
PM me your email Jon & I'll send you a quick skwiz.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2012, 05:59:06 AM »
I'm not surprised, mine wasn't happy with fourdoor in either.
PM me your email Jon & I'll send you a quick skwiz.
  Sid.

Thanks Sid; fully sick Bro, sweet as build eh.
For the non kiwi's (including me) that means "really nice project you have there sir with some tidy looking workmanship" I think.
I never have been able to understand how thongs could be called Jandals.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline bones

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:21 AM »
John
     have you thought about using an  earls fork type front end .
   Much easier to fabricate and easy to adjust trail. Have a look at he Buddfab liner front end.
   I would use this if I didn't have my hubcenter done.
   cheers   Bones

Offline Jon

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
John
     have you thought about using an  earls fork type front end .
   Much easier to fabricate and easy to adjust trail. Have a look at he Buddfab liner front end.
   I would use this if I didn't have my hubcenter done.
   cheers   Bones

I'm going to dig out my alfoil hat again Bones.

Im going monoshock via linkage to try and keep the width down as I have a 5" wide tyre.

I'm also playing with the converging angles and lengths of the bottom links,I want the bottom of the tyre to shift opposite direction to the turn to shift the balance into the turn some.

At higher speed/lower steering angles I don't think it will do much but I've convinced myself that it well help me get up off the skids.

As with the rest of my build, totally unproven.

Hope to have the steering action and swingarm in steel this weekend, then start on the shock linkages.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
Jon,
Love your build and you are really "getting at it!" I don't know if you ever happen to look at other parts of this site but I was just reading a post from Dan Warner regarding a missed record and there is a site that got posted that may be very interesting to you.

http://www.counterman.net/vanceb.htm

There are some great build pics of the build of the really neat HD liner that Vance Breese built and also read his comments when he crashed.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jon

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
Thanks Rex

I'm pretty committed to being at Lake Gairdner in 2013 so I need to maintain momentum.
Opportunity presented itself about 18 months ago that I had some free time and needed a distraction, I started sketching the shell, reading a bit if stuff and working out what size major components were and working from there.

I did see the work that Dan Warner was putting into getting the record corrected, nice to see that people care enough to get the history right.
Thanks for the link, very interesting read.

Thanks
Jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »
I think you nailed the Kiwi twang there Jon.
I dunno about the jandal thing either but they're called flip flop's over here on the big island. A thong is a whole nuther animal here that goes up the butcrak.
  Sid.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
C`MON, Sid! They`re called Jandals `cos that was the name of the company that made `em first. I preferred the Para Rubber ones myself. Good Grief that was aloooong time ago....

Offline bones

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
Sounds like the Ezy Hook front end which is similar to an old LCR road racing sidecar, but with a much narrower tire.
The top and bottom pivots are offset which gives the contact patch in the center of the tire, but when you turn the wheel it lays over a little bit.
   cheers   Bones

Offline Jon

« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:01 AM »
Sounds like the Ezy Hook front end which is similar to an old LCR road racing sidecar, but with a much narrower tire.
The top and bottom pivots are offset which gives the contact patch in the center of the tire, but when you turn the wheel it lays over a little bit.
   cheers   Bones

Like I said I'm not that good at explaining things sorry,  think budfab with the top bearing on a rocker and monoshock, bottom arms shorter so they have a smaller arc to exaggerate the lean.
The lean is generated by the side of the yoke on the inside of the turn moving back towards the frame mount so the link is pushing it away lateraly, the outer side of the yoke moves further away from the frame mount longitudinally so the link is pulling it closer lateraly, the top pivot can't move sideways so the yoke and wheel lean.

Rake is calculated by drawing a line through the top pivot and a point where the bottom 2 links would intersect if they were extended.
Trail is measured as normal.

Hope to have pics over the weekend.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering