Author Topic: c/pickup to reach 200!  (Read 19027 times)

c/pickup

c/pickup to reach 200!
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:51:47 AM »
Hello to all, I have recently returned to civilian activities after a 20 year hitch in the USMC. I am currently in the process of building a c/pickup that will break the 200MPH barrier. I will post photos as the build continues. See you on the Salt!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
All things considered.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
A 20 year Marine from there is a really tough customer that has never heard a "NO" or a "CAN'T".
 Al I suggest you run from c/pu. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
c/pickup to reach 200!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:11:39 PM »
whats a "C" pickup? is dat som thin you race in da ocean? ya should a had it thar last yar, wa wood-a gat ya selv one of dem record thingys :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SCARED ?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »
You both scare me differently. LOL :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

c/pickup

Oh Well
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:54:49 PM »
Al Sanderson is quite the guy, let's face it the effort that it takes to even reach his record is unbelievable. Quite frankly there is only one reason that I am even attempting this record. The fact that in the dawn of this new century, in an age of the technology that we possess and considering the efforts and successfull efforts of so many to reach astronomical speeds on the salt, don't you think that it is amazing that no one has even broke the 180 mark in a pickup with a small block? It is absolutely astounding to me. Let's face it they are about as aerodynamic as a cinder block, about as awe inspiring as a mule wagon and about as numerous as  zits in a teenage kid. But no one has went 180 let alone 200 in one. When I was looking to attempt my first effort as I scrolled through the classes and seen what had already been attained by so many in the most obscure of production vehicles, I was absolutely blown away that a simple small block production truck has never reached 200. What seemed like a great "budget" type effort to a milestone effort has become a real test of one's tenacity. Well, if this is any clue to you all, I know I have Paul Vanderly scratching is head. And that in and of itself is worth a few failed attempts. lol

c/pickup

By the Way
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
Of course you guys know this can only be done by a Mopar right? lol The task is difficult enough, but if I could do it with a bowtie motor I would be too busy healing the sick and walking on water! lol

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: By the Way
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »
Quote from: c/pickup
Of course you guys know this can only be done by a Mopar right? lol The task is difficult enough, but if I could do it with a bowtie motor I would be too busy healing the sick and walking on water! lol

Best of luck, enjoy your salt racing. BTW Jesel already has his Dodge truck running, went 190 on shake down run @ Maxton in 1 mile with a "C" motor. Go get 'em.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

c/pickup

oh man
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:35:28 PM »
I was hoping that was just a nasty rumor that you heard but upon a little info finding he sure has. Perhaps whoever breaks the 200 first at Bonneville will be who ever runs first! lol With that kind of a shakedown run you and I know that he's is definetly the man to beat in this endeavor.
Or perhaps, Sanderson may just have a little something up his sleeve with the 1500 he's running.

LittleLiner

c/pickup to reach 200!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
As mentioned above, here is the C/MP Jesel Valvetrain Dodge which  Jimmy Barton drove to 190.750 mph at Maxton last October.  (photo by Art Danby)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Jesel
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 02:12:42 PM »
And don't for 1 minute think that because it's a 4 door it has any kind of aero advantage...
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

terry russell

c/pickup to reach 200!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
I spoke to Mr.Jesel last year he said the four door had the best aero package (go figure). He did not think it would go that fast. Bull.... thats one awsome truck!

c/pickup

Little Comfort
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:19:56 PM »
Sheesh, sometimes your own kids can be the one to "inspire" you. My 14 year old tells me " Ah, don't sweat it Dad, your running Production Pickup and their running Mini Pickup." Friggin great is all I have to say. Jesel and his boys will no doubt break 200 this year if they in fact don't break. It appears to me that I am just a little behind the curve. Well, back to the wrenches. Does it really surprise anyone that now that the Hemi is in fact back that the barrier will soon be broke?

terry russell

c/pickup to reach 200!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:40:39 PM »
that is a full size truck,but doin't sweat it they are c/mp. I and everyone there spoke to the whole crew good people. In fact they thought 170s K. Turk teced it to 200. They have alot of good ideas on the truck,I hope to try some on my s/10.(work ,bills ect.ect. ) keep getting in the way.
much luck terry

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Goals
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 09:12:50 PM »
Set your goals and go after them, every one of us has looked at the record book and determined what the "softest" records were at the time, then we spent our time and money to find out it took 3 or 4 years to set that easy record. :)  We look forward to you catching the salt bug and joining us in our humbling endeavors.
Michael LeFevers

c/pickup

c/pickup to reach 200!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 09:58:51 PM »
I have got to tell you salt racers are the greatest racers on the planet. I am happy to join you all. I have drag raced when I had the opportunity off and on for years. I don't think many of you know how the quest for speed has bitten many, many returning vets. I truly believe that land speed racing is going to get very very popular again. I can remember listening to my grandfather tell stories of Edelbrock Sr. and his efforts when he saw them in person on the salt. I suppose the reason I picked the 200 quest for C/Pickup was because it hasn't been done. It just seems like it needs to be. And yes, it seems obtainable. I wish I had the fabrication skills to build a streamliner that could break the sound barrier, but alas, it will never happen. But hey, I got a great little truck in the garage, and a great little race motor in the crate. What the hell,let's try it. lol