Author Topic: Fireston LSR Tires  (Read 11296 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Fireston LSR Tires
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
DW, Find me some tires and the next time I am in SOCAL  I will bring you a case of vintage Night Train Express to enjoy, and if you want to hide it from others that might pilfer it from you, I will thrown in some brown bags.  :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Fastman, The tires are going on a car I am restoring (John Helash's  427 SOHC Mustang) and will be used for display only, the racing days of this old girl are long over.  Let me know what you have.  Thanks, Tony

HOLY ****!!!!!.... You got THAT car!!!?????..... The tires are not in my possession... they are at one or the other of the partners' shops 250 or so miles from me.... I will be having a telephone conversation with one of the guys later today and get back to you.... The tires would be era correct and with a bit of Bert Munro "trickery" you could make them look good.... oh heck.... if Bert was around today, I'm sure he would say you'd also be go run them!!!!...  :-D
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
Doesn't Coker make reproduction Indy car tires?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
Doesn't Coker make reproduction Indy car tires?

DW

Those tires are for '50s style Indy cars.  The ones I am looking for were specifically designed for the salt in the '60s.  Tony

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
OK

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
Tony,
My partner says that he has them - although he is not sure if there is two or three of them... he remembers giving a tire away to someone as a souvineer and it may have been the third one of those tires. When I told him what they were wanted for, he was "all ears".... he remembers the Cammer powered 'Stang too.... and if the tires help in the resto, he says yeah - they should get into your hands....So, they are available.....

When do you want these tires?..... Would Speedweek be too late? I would guess that being international and all - even with the Canada/USA Free Trade Agreement, the shipping for everything going cross border is stupidly expensive! So, I am pretty sure that I am going to Vancouver this coming weekend (or even sooner) and I will take a few pics and get them to you somehow.... and we can take it from there.

BTW, how did you finangle that car from him? Last time John and I talked, it was never going to be for sale... So like... did John pass away and will it to you?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
Fastman, That's great news, Speed Week would be fine.

John is still alive and is still causing trouble.  Yeah, John would never sell the car, but after loaning it to a few people it was in bad shape and out of disgust in its shape he decided to sell it to Ray Hetrick. Ray ran the car without much success and  sold it to me.  When I took the car by John's house, it was like 1969 all over for him.  I spent the whole day with him and listen to him reminisce about the car and its great history.  He has been very helpful in restoration and gave me all the paperwork and pictures he had when the car was built.

The guys that were associated with the car are legends on the salt and other forms of racing and have been a great help also.  Just collecting all the parts for the restoration has been a wonderful journey.  The car even has some drag racing history and we plan to have John drive the car at Bakersfield when its done.

This is what the car looked like when I found it, a bit tired but mostly still intact. Tony

Offline fastman614

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »
I have looked at your last post several times just to look at the pic!.... the 69 & 70 Mustang was the one one incarnation of a 'stang that I WOULD have owned!.... although, by virtue of a deal made for my then 16 year old son, I purchased an '80 Mustang fastback....

BTW, did you also get the cammer?.... and is it the 494 incher?.... I think John had more than one.....

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
Was this car yellow when first ran on the salt?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
It was white originally, then yellow, red and back to white. 

Talking to John about the history, there were a lot of colorful characters involved with the car.  The hardest part was tracking down all the oddball parts that were on the car originally.  I guess back then it was common to build cars lite and they didn't miss a beat when it came to the Mustang.

What was really odd was  the fenders were welded to chassis and when I cut a few welds it was like a spring and the fender sprang out.  Had me stumped for a while and finally when I was having lunch with Dick Russel (he helped build the car at HMS) I casually mentioned to him about the fenders when he said "oh that car had a pie section taken out of the front to tilt the nose down and the fenders were modifies to fit".  Apparently sometime in its life the original fenders were replaced by some stock ones that weren't sectioned to fit, and the only way to fit them was to weld them to the car. 

This is one of the oddball parts, HM pinion support with a pump inside it  The list is endless and I managed to track down about 80% of the parts that were taken off the car over the years. Luckily most of the parts stayed in So Cal.  Tony

Offline fastman614

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »
:?   :?

Want a scoop of ice cream with your root beer?   :mrgreen:

Mike

I should have said this a long time ago.... even with the scoop of ice cream it IS good.... make it a "Charlie Birch".....  pour in a reasonably hefty shot of vodka ... and ... .you got it!