Author Topic: March 2012 Texas Mile Event  (Read 52689 times)

Offline Freud

Re: March 2012 Texas Mile Event
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
I value Joe's analysis. His education and profession adds credence to his evaluation.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sabat

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Excellent point Joe, I'm sure Karl would agree wholeheartedly.

Offline sabat

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »
Man that is an ugly crew. :evil: That is our fearless leader, rear center red hat, Karl Gunther aka Entropy.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »
I was only running in 181 at Texas as I was on the 600.  Word on Billy's accident is just that he ran long.  He went a full 3 seconds or more long at speed.  Couldn't get stopped tried to go left instead of right, hit the cone and went down at low speed. 

I was on the return road when Karl went down.  I didn't see a thing nor hear anything.  I had just talked to Karl after his 1st run of the morning.  On his 1st run he had kept the power on for a while past the traps.  Karl's bike is loud and you could hear it under power for a couple of seconds after the time appeared on the screen.  Some people had commented he drove that one deep.  Obviously he had no issues getting stopped on that run.  Again I have no clue why Karl went down.

What I do know is that the track distance markers are on the right side of the strip.  The smooth side is the left 3rd.  The distance markers are black with gold numbers and set up along with black tire walls.  I don't think I ever saw one at speed.  Right after the 1 mile traps is a ground strip across the track that I used to alert myself I was through the mile.  There is another strip maybe 1000 more feet down the track.  From my view I can see it being easy to go long there.  I believe better marking of the trap area will help.  Again I was only traveling 181 mph.  I was easily slowed down to 40 mph where I coasted across the black area before the turn off. 

Keep our friend Karl in your prayers.  He has a lot of injuries to overcome.  He has always gone out of his way to be a friend.  He even got me the hotel room so I could go to Texas.  It will not be the same at a track without him there.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
My deepest regards and sympathies to Karl & his family and friends. Like so many of the people who, in the past, commented on conditions at Maxton, I have never been there and know nothing about the venue. I did work shutdown at Maxton for a while and Dean S. was the only rider making our short (.5 mi.) shutdown - with shuddering rear tire hop; others probably could have done it - just didn't have to. All of you who have run over 200 (or EVEN 180 Greg) are incredible riders; like Turk has always said "the riding starts at the timing lights."

Offline derbybrit1

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
I am sad to hear that Karl has been hurt.  On behalf of Team Punisher Aprilia, please accept our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.  I did not see if there is any kind of benefit fund, but if so, somebody please post.

It does it seem like there is a pattern at the new Beeville Texas Mile where the fastest motorcycles are crashing in the shutdown area.  First Bill Warner.  Now Karl and Billy Shoemaker, and I think I read another?  ONE was too many.  Is there an investigation underway?

I sent the following comments to Texas Mile management on December 21, 2011:

"My comments were regarding the end of the shutdown area.  I saw the video of Bill's accident, and he dumped it immediately when he hit the tarred gravel, or whatever that last few hundred feet was prior to the turn off.  As a bke rider, that was an area of concern for me. It might be fine for cars, but I tippy-toed through there myself hoping not to dump my bike.  And all that pea gravel getting thrown up from the motorcycle's front wheel is not good for anybody's air filters, oil coolers, or radiators.  Having a bike that only went 200 mph made it not as critical to use that area for braking for me.

This may seem low on the priority list, but I remind you that it is the only area of the track where a motorcycle rider crashed and got hurt.  With safety as a priority, then this might require a higher priority for review.  Just sayin'..."

Marc Rittner

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karlgunter

Slim, I hope it is OK to add this link to the forum.  It tracks Karl's recovery progress.  If you look at it you will just be amazed at how far he has come in a week.  Keep the thoughts, prayers and well wishes flowing.  Looking forward to seeing Karl up and about at a track again.
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Texican

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
I'm really amazed that nobody reported this item which appeared on FOX NEWS:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/26/ford-gt-sets-standing-mile-record-at-257-mph/?intcmp=obinsite

Jim

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:35 AM »
I was the next bike in line behind his record run.  Now the Texas Mile logo gets changed again. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
I thought they had a 324?  did they start over with the new track?  Guess I'm not keeping up.
Hope Karl and Bill are doing well.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
It started fresh with the new location. The 324 was with a jet car, kinda didn't count in my opinion.

Reports are that Karl is walking a little, eating solid food and hassling nurses. Billy is also recovering well, talking about his next event.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
Update on Karl, he is doing amazingly well considering the extent of his injuries. They gave him his cell phone yesterday. Reports from some of the people he called is he sounds good, especially attitude. They are keeping him icu mostly for pain menagement. Sound like transfer to a rehab facility, in Houston is going to happen pretty quick. I will going to get a eyewitness report as soon as he can have visitors.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
Fred keep us posted...
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
Below is the last update yesterday, Tuesday April 3rd from Karl's recovery update website.

Karl is talking!!
Today, Karl CALLED me!!!

Medical Updates:
- His trauma Dr. has put in TRANSFER papers, but not to upstairs but to HOUSTON!!! It will be an "acute long term care" in-patient rehabilitation facility. It takes some time like 48 hrs to process the paperwork, but we are praying for Karl to be in Houston in time for Easter! He will be driven up to Houston in an ambulance, which I feel most comfortable with and the Dr. requires.

- He got a few hours of sleep last night, but he hopes to get some more tonight. He ate chicken lasagna for dinner and "the driest peach cobbler in the world."

- They are handling his pain much better now that he has Nurse Diane. I saw a nurse's assistant when we were on FaceTime on our iphones tonight and the nurse asked is that your daughter? how old is she? and Dad says "42" and then when the nurse laughed (male nurse) and was walking away Dad says "hey wait, she is for sale!"

Direct messages from Karl himself:
1) "Come one, come all" Karl and Billy are having a contest at the Houston 1/2 mile in May. The contest is to see who can each complete three passes without falling off their bikes. "Prizes are being determined."

2) TFA has officially put a hold on the weight requirement since CEO himself has shed some pounds. A "weight re-gaining event" at Hooters will take place until all TFA members have met the requirement.

3) Karl does not want any more "Yens, Reals, Bolivares, Euros" he would like all payments made in "Beer... no make that Bud Light."

4) Dad also said about his friends "those are the type of guys you'd want to go into war with." He is truly touched, I can tell, by the outpour of all this love for him and us.

Specific Prayer Requests for tonight:
- That his transfer papers to Houston go through and he is moved on Thursday or Friday. ASAP.

- That God places Dad with a good medical team and nurses over at his new facility. May He answer their personal prayers and make their life a little brighter so they can focus on getting Karl ready to come home.

- Sweet, sweet, sleep

From St. Faustina:
There are times when He Himself allows terrible sufferings, and then again there are times when He does not let me suffer and removes everything that might afflict my soul. These are His ways, unfathomable and incomprehensible to us. It is for us to submit ourselves completely to His holy will. There are mysteries that the human mind will never fathom here on earth; eternity will reveal them.