Author Topic: March 2012 Texas Mile Event  (Read 52688 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Re: March 2012 Texas Mile Event
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
Thanks for letting everyone know.  Sheesh, hate to hear this.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
Any updates today??
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline glarior

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
Karl got into a motorcycle accident yesterday, March 24, 2012, at the Texas Mile race in Beeville, TX. Witnesses say that he was traveling at a high rate of speed in excess of 120 mph when the bike slid from under him and threw him in the air. He was life-flighted to a Level 2 Trauma Hospital in Corpus Christi, TX. Dad is in Trauma Intensive Care Unite (ICU). Here are a list of his major injuries from what we know AS OF:  2/24 11:00 am CST- broken clavicle (L)- broken scapula (shoulder blade- L) - 5 broken ribs (I think they are all on his L side)- L hand is shattered/ broken, will require reconstructive surgery, probably tomorrow- Mon- Possible small contusion on heart, cardiologist is there today to do more testing- "Road Rash" on the legs, elbows, upper torso- Both lungs are contused; they have intubated him.Positives:- He is not paralyzed. He was able to move his legs and toes on command and had a reasonable amount of force with his right hand (we were holding hands) - He is not a vegetable. They woke him from sedation for a little bit so he could see Mom and I and know that we are there. Although highly sedated, I could see he was still behind those blue eyes. We could ask him questions and he would shake his head yes or no. He could also point with his right hand to where there was pain. He was able to distinguish family from friends when we asked if he wanted his friends Bill and Jake to see him, he shook his head no. Mom also mentioned to him last night that they were trying to transfer him to Houston ASAP and my dad shook his head no. - HE IS ALIVESUNDAY UPDATES:- We will NOT be transferring him to Houston. It is too risky and he still is in critical condition. - Hand surgery was scheduled for this morning but the trauma doctor, Dr. Blow, postponed it to tomorrow. He wants to run some more tests--1) Brain CT2) MRI of lower back 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
Thank you for the update, We are all thinking of him and that his recovery is going to heal fast. Prayers are with the family and all LSR fans.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the update ... wish the news regarding Karl's condition was better.   We all are praying for him. 

Joe

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Man that Texas Mile is tough. Prayers for Karl.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Frank06

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the update ... wish the news regarding Karl's condition was better.   We all are praying for him. 

Joe

+1
E-Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
Ok here is what I know, Karl is beat up really bad, I am not going to go into all the gory details. He seems to be lucid. He has feeling and movement in legs and feet. The last I heard they had not totally evaluated head, neck, and back. when I hear more I will let you know.

I was with the crew that went down to retrieve the bike.  They held us until the track was totally cleaned up. While waiting I talked to the course worker who was closest to the accident. He plays the guessing game at peoples speed. He has become quite good at  it. He guessed Karl was running 220 on his run, he was running 221. He said Karl was running about 100mph when he went down. Karl went down in the exact same place as Bill Warner did. There is a transition from the original surface to new asphalt. New as of last summer. It is poorly done and was scary just on the drive through. The investigators, cops I guess, came to look at Karls bike in the trailer. They said that he went down before the transition at 200mph. When we got on the track, to get Karls bike,  we were right at the transition. There were no skid marks before the transition, and there was after. I dont know if they were just stupid, or are trying to cover up what really happened.

Karl is one of the most experienced pavement racers there is. He raced in EVERY Texas mile, and every other pavement  venue. He  was meticulous in his prep and routine when making a run. The bike went down on the right side, the fairing was ground up and some of the engine covers were ground down. Left side is like new. It looked a lot like my bike when I went down on the salt.

Later in the day I talked to the previously mentioned course worker and he said the exact same thing as he had before.

I made one shake down run on a new bike, ran 209. I cant tell you about braking conditions, I didnt have any. But that is another story. I will never make another run at that track. My rider broke her hand last week feels the same way.Three of my good friends have been hurt there. In my opinion the track is not safe for 200+mph motorcycles.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Fred, thanks for the real story. We are all pulling for him as this is serious and a long time healing process. As always our prayers are with him and the family.  :cry:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
Fred,

Thanks for your insights to the track and what happened. This makes me think that the consistancy of the track under braking conditions changes between the two intersections. IF I recall all three of the incidents had the bike wash out.

Jon

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
To my point about that mile being tough. Not comparing  venues but.... Maxton was like a dirt trail but past the finish line the shut down seemed fairly smooth. lots of good folks seem to be getting beat up in Texas. :-(
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »
Billy S incident was farther down track. I think Billy's was a slow speed get off involving a cone. May have been driver error.

Just got word that Karl's c/t scan on his head is clear. Yay
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline sabat

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Fred, great news on Karl's CT.

It will be interesting to hear what if anything the Texas Mile folks have to say about this weekend.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »
Good to hear the full story from someone who was there. Sounds like there should be some revisions to the track shutdown area before it's used for any more fast motorcycles.

Thanks for the report Fred.

I hope the healing goes well for Karl.

Pete

Offline joea

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
..no way the head ct is "normal"...may not have been any damage
from the crash...just sayin...

Joe