Author Topic: How is engine displacement directly measured on diesel engines?  (Read 4639 times)

Offline SteveM

I know how to calculate displacement, my question is about how SCTA measures displacement on an IDI (Indirect Injection) diesel engine, assuming that someone has set a record.  There is no direct access to the piston tops, like on most gassers.  Pulling an injector out only gives a peek to the inside of a pre-combustion cup.

Is there some kind of air displacement measuring device that can be attached to a glow-plug hole, or some other similar apparatus? 

This is mostly a curiosity type question that came to me while reading the rulebook last night.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

McRat

Re: How is engine displacement directly measured on diesel engines?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
The race team is responsible for proving the displacement.

Yes, the SCTA is not well-equipped to do diesel engines via the spark plug method. 

Best method, is that when you're building the engine, to get an SCTA inspector over and record the displacement and seal the engine, then record it in the log book.

Or, after you set a record, you pull a cylinder head.  This can be problematic for some of the late model production V8's where it can be difficult to pull a head without removing the engine.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
If you bring an adapter they can connect the air volume measurement tool to and you can disable the valves in the cylinder being measured then I see no reason it cannot be measured by that method.  If you are really close to the break then you will probably need to pull the head just like the gas and fuel guys.
How easy or hard to do isn't taken into consideration.  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
Good info.  It would be presuming a whole lot of hard work and good luck to think that I'd be in a position to do a teardown, but at least I know how it works now.

I do have an adapter for both the glow plug hole and the injector hole which could be hooked up to an air volume measurement apparatus.

My plan is to be at 1490 cc's, on a limit of 1524 cc's if I remember right (don't have rulebook in front of me).  That's about 2 percent under the limit.  I assume that would be in cylinder head removal territory.

Are there any SCTA inspectors in the Missouri / Illinois area?

SteveM.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »
I think the rule says that within 3% of class limit, bore/stroke measurement must be made (only for a record, of course).
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
Don't know much about diesels but gas engines must pull the push rods or deactivate the valves to use the air pump method. If you are removing a glow plug or some other device in a diesel I would also make sure YOU have made an adapter to screw or hold it in. I believe the air pump hoses were 1/2" ID from thepump to the adapter....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
Step 1 - set a record.

Step 2 - pull cylinder head.  My displacement will be too close to the limit to allow for the air pump method.

I think I need to worry more about Step 1, but was just curious about how displacement is measured without dis-assembly.

Steve.