Author Topic: M-G CBR1000F  (Read 22413 times)

Offline DavieB

Re: M-G CBR1000F
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »

Offline DavieB

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
the coolant syatem is a "bypass thermostat" setup, this one is from a Thermo-Bob 1" universal kit

It's got a 85C thermostat in it, no water circulates through the tank until 85C, this should help bring the motor up to temp quickly and help maintain it at a good temp for methanol.

Offline Jon

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:14 AM »
Go you good thing. That thing looks fast standing still. :-)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
Just a comment on the bypass style cooling system, if you want to do that on any system use an early 80s BMW 320i thermostat. They have three connections and work just as Jon has shown, the water is bypassed through the engine until the temp setting of the thermostat is reached and then it is routed through the radiator. Works really well.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
Just a comment on the bypass style cooling system, if you want to do that on any system use an early 80s BMW 320i thermostat. They have three connections and work just as Jon has shown, the water is bypassed through the engine until the temp setting of the thermostat is reached and then it is routed through the radiator. Works really well.

Rex

Looked into 'Thermo-Bob' @ >$100.  Looked into a BMW 320i thermostat:  $20.  I know which way I'm going...

Thanks Rex!
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
Not sure why Dave is shy, but he did well...qualified okay to run at 200 mph on the short track, unable to actually set a record though on the long track due to side wind issues...

come on Dave, fill in the gaps. :cheers:
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
Not sure why Dave is shy, but he did well...qualified okay to run at 200 mph on the short track, unable to actually set a record though on the long track due to side wind issues...

He did indeed, we camped with Dave and his dad Jon.........I couldn't help but be reminded of something my big brother used to say to me occasionally when I was Dave's age or younger, "you don't HAVE top be such a smartarse to people you've just met"...... They, Jon and Dave were really great company, know their stuff and go hard.

Dave you absolutely blitzed, 202 on your first year, on a thou'.....great effort, looking forward to spending more time at the salt with you and the old man. :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jon

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
Sounds like Dave might have changed the story to protect the guilty James. (not you Goggles, the other guy is James two, I mean too, I mean also)

Dave was let down by my lack of knowledge tuning Methanol, everything I low about it cames from 1 book "5,000hp on Methanol".

When his old bike is hot it goes not too bad, when its cold it runs like a hairy dog and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
On the GPS track he could do runs in reasonable quick succession, the first run of the day would be ordinary, rest of the day ok.
We tried to get it warm at the start of the long track but I think it is getting a fair bit too much fuel so it runs cold.
It ran pretty ordinary and he pulled off before the timed section so not to hold everyone up.
He had fun, got his 175 licence, we learnt a lot and got to hang out with some really good people, no record run but you get that.
The week was a success.

jon
(Dave's Brolly B1tch)
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3