Author Topic: M-G CBR1000F  (Read 22360 times)

Offline DavieB

M-G CBR1000F
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:13 AM »
I’ve been on here for a little while and though i should start a build thread.

My dad’s building a streamliner so for shits and giggles we've decided to use his left over parts (and a fair few that weren’t left over  :evil:) to build a bike to race for myself.

The highest part of the bike is the top triple clamp at just under 900mm (using standard vfr400 forks we had lying around, same DIA but around 125mm shorter) my whole body is pretty much level with the top triple clamp and my head is just high enough to see over it.

it doesn’t run a radiator, under my seat is a coolant tank and its setup to only draw water as it needs it (i expect it to get reasonably hot under my arse :-o). we decided to get rid of the radiators because we want this engine to run as close to how it will be running in this bike as it will in the streamliner. The fuel tank is the small tank you see in front of the tank I will be sitting on. it hold enough fuel for us to do our run but will probably need to be refilled between runs. behind my arse you see all the electrical stuff, the battery is the one out of my road bike, there’s a data logger with a wide band o2 sensor to help us set the bike up, an Ignitech ignition with a custom ignition map in it, and a tip over sensor that cuts the fuel and spark if the bike leans over more than 45 degree's, that’s only on there to make sure that the vibrations of running on the salt doesn’t piss it off too much (more testing for the streamliner :roll:) other than that it’s a pretty stock standard 1987 cbr1000f, it’s been a bit of a spur of the moment job we only decided about 4 weeks ago that we were going to run it, before that it was just a frame. we robbed the engine back out of the streamliner, assembled the bike and started cutting things off it.

This is what we are testing all the bits and pieces for, once i get some more photo's of dads bike I’ll see if he will let me start a build thread.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: M-G CBR1000F
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
Excellent pleased to see another CBR doing the LSR thing the streamliner is looking good hope the carbs are ok,nice tail section I am going to have to use Aluminium on mine as I cant do glass work....Yet
Tell yer old man I almost have the Injection sorted.
Best of luck Dave.
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
Davie,
Thanks for the build thread. Good luck with the project. I ran a no-radiator coolant tank on my turbo Hayabusa for 2 seasons and it worked great. No overheating at all.
What venue are you going to run it at first?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline DavieB

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »
Hi Don
Thanks for the info, I’ve been thinking about how warm I’m going to get but I think with some insulation and the seat myself and the coolant tank I should be ok, I shouldn’t need any thermals under my leathers anyways  :-D . I live in Australia so the bike will be run at Lake Gardner.

Oz, dads really happy with the carb’s, im pretty sure he has them on another 1000f at the moment while he is making a base curve for the ignitech.

Offline DavieB

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
I have not made a lot of progress but I thought I would do an update.

After fiddling around with some spare parts I had left over from an old project, reading and re-reading the rules. I've changed the headstock angle 3 degree's and extended the swingarm 85mm to take me to 10mm under the 10% over stock wheelbase rule for my class.

I've moved the front wheel to make room for my turbo I hope to run soon, and moved the rear wheel back to help make the rear of the bike a streamline as I can.

*image shack is not working on my phone, sorry*

Offline DavieB

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:30 AM »

Offline DavieB

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
Not a whole lot new to add.

The frame, swing arm, subframe, and tanks are all at the sandblasters at the moment so I have been doing little odd jobs until I get them back.

I have a few pics of the exhaust getting wire brushed, painted then wrapped, I will attach them tomorrow my phone is being a pain.

The bike will be running in a different class now after I found some Charlie Toy bodywork cheap and decided to set it up from the start with methanol.

I'll throw some photos on here tomorrow. :-D

Offline DavieB

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
The exhaust after wire brushing and changing the collector

After painting

After Wrapping

The triple clamp before

After

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
It helps to locate the pegs so you are not all scrunched up.  A fellow is not as flexible when wearing leathers.  Also, a guy gets older.  My bike is set up how I was comfortable eight years ago.  Its a bit of a tight fit now.   

Offline DavieB

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 06:04:31 AM »
It helps to locate the pegs so you are not all scrunched up.  A fellow is not as flexible when wearing leathers.  Also, a guy gets older.  My bike is set up how I was comfortable eight years ago.  Its a bit of a tight fit now.   

My pegs will be moving now to suit my new body work.

Offline DavieB

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »
Slowly coming together after sandblasting and painting  :mrgreen:

Offline DavieB

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
Forks back in and sitting on the ground. (thought I was going to break the cloths line if I kept going)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
Just a thought.............about the wrapped pipes.........the wrap seems to make them look slow and will catch salt.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline DND

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
I was just wondering what the pipe wrapping does for you.

Thanks, Don

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »
Wrapping keeps the heat in the pipe, prevents the pipe from disapating heat. The exhaust flows better with the pipe hot.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing