Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93265 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Congratulations, Max and Hartmut.

There is quality in this build.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Flylow

• New folks
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
:-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrn40WY_QA&feature=em-share_video_user

This is fantastic - congratulations!  Looking forward to seeing all of you on the salt.
Kurt - Vincent Vikings

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
One helleva job Max and Team..........

2012 is will be a mind blower for sure.

Go Faster than ever...

Ray c wheeler

(ElDorado, KS.)
Ray C Wheeler

Offline little max

« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »
All we lack is finishing up. Ha Ha

Offline gerry jenkinson

• New folks
    • Vindeo
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2012, 05:51:17 AM »
Almost time to try again so here is a reminder of last year’s attempt.
BUB , Bonneville 2012

Part 1  https://vimeo.com/46166755
Part 2  https://vimeo.com/46312504
Part 3  https://vimeo.com/46327894

Hope you enjoy it, if you do click the “like” heart symbol top right.
See you out there.
Gerry Jenkinson

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:19 AM »
Any news? 

Go Max and team, GO!
!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:22 AM »
I talked to Stainless, I think Sat Morn. and he said they were at the Salt and should be inspected by that night. that the inspectors would inspect Bike 'Liners at their pit-- but it usually was pretty late before that got around to everyone.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

Re: Rain Delay

« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:00:42 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still a lot of standing water on the way in.  I don't like the slow drain and no wind, but I'll check tonight.

Offline TURK

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
Allright Paul Harvey,where's the rest of the story?
Kansas Margareta,mix methanol & salt add one Harley

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
 :-(

Hey guys.  Gotta get a new life.  Selling the liner.  Bidding will start at $150,000.  If interested send me an email.

Max

Offline Jon

« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »
Very sad to see this Max, best of luck with the sale.

Thankyou for the help you have given me.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Tman

« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Sorry to see the era end.

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
From Max sent to his supporter email list, from a few days ago, posted here with his permission:

Just walked in the door from my three day trip back.  Here's a quick run down of our four race days at Bonneville.

Most all crew and supporters arrived on tech day, Barrie Howell, Richard Vanderwell, Bill Easter, Doris Endo, Eddie Saxton, Marty Dickerson, John Ulver, Irene Ulver, John Caraway, Don Angel, Sal ..., Hartmut Weidelich and his cousin Benny..., Max Re' Lambky, Kim Stuever, Robert Steele, Clyde...,  Steve Williams, John and Carolyn McDougall, and others.  

Tech day went smoothly.  No problems.  After tech day in the evening we did a trial push up with a dead plant.  That all went quite well.  

The next morning we planned to make a run early in the day.  We found an electrical problem pertaining to the parachutes.  This took the better part of the morning to trouble shoot.  I decided to make only a two mile short run and turn out at the three mile to get a handle on the tune, using the new telemetry systems, exhaust gas temperatures and fuel/air ratio.  As the engines run on straight alcohol we were looking for around a 5 to 1 ratio.  Wind was a bit of a problem, but we did manage to get in two  test runs to determine where we were at with the fuel/air ratio.  No full passes were made on the first day of racing.  About 5 pm a cloud full of rain decided to dump a bunch, and I do mean a bunch, of rain on the salt.  

The second day of racing was a wash.  We weren't allowed on the salt.  Two racing days and we had only accomplished two two mile short bursts.  

The third racing day, due to conditions, we weren't allowed on the salt until around 10 a.m.  We did manage to get in two more two mile short bursts.  On the first push up after the rain the course was so rough that the mercury switches fired the parachutes.  We thought at first it was just the vibration, but on the second push up there was no doubt that the roughness of the salt was bouncing the back of the liner up and down quite viciously and indeed the mercury switches were firing the parachutes.  I decided to undo the electrical of the mercury switches and go without them.  As this is a safety feature I asked Hartmut if he would agree, and he did.  We couldn't have made any more runs without the disconnect of the rollover switch.  

The fourth racing day was designated for our first full pass.  Servicing of the engines and doing a full service of the bike took an hour and fifteen minutes.  I suppose we got it to the line about 9 a.m.  There were eight bikes in front of us, and four bikes making return runs on the long course.  That plus the wind, made it something like five p.m. before we made our first full pass of the Meet.  The bike was pushed up and barely had enough power to move away from the push bumper.  BL had no power, not anywhere close to past performance on full power runs.  (She had once gone 275 mph unofficially, and officially holds an AMA and a SCTA record. Fastest timing slip 222+ mph, and the second fastest Vincent ever.) After spending a great deal of money on telemetry, sending injector components off for flow testing, and following Steve William's input, it all proved for naught.  

I had always made three or four times the amount of horsepower than we were making now, just going by sound, plug readings, and a laser heat gun on the exhaust pipes.  

Hartmut took BL through the traps in low gear at 130 mph.  After the traps he didn't realize that the rough course would slow him down so quickly, and they wanted the liner to exit the course at the 10 mile, so Hartmut put it in second gear and motored on down to the 8 or 9 mile.  When Stainless and I arrived in my F150 Ford chase vehicle, Hartmut was out of the bike, and the fire crew had removed the top bonnet over the engines.  The reason for this is that when the fire crews approached he had seen flame escaping from the right hand seam where the top bonnet meets the lower belly pan.  Hartmut didn't detect any smell or flame.  By the time the bonnet was removed the minor flame was already out.  It had extinguished itself.  No extinguishing agents were used.  The cause of the fire was that a breather line on number two cylinder had burnt a hole in it.  The high heat causing the breather line to melt, came from extreme exhaust temperatures.  The telemetry told us that the four exhaust temperatures ranged from 1400o to 1500o.  An extreme amount of fuel was being burnt in the exhaust pipes, causing the high exhaust temperatures.  A minor amount of oil from the breather line found it's way on to the exhaust pipe, which ignited and caused the minor fire.  

The only fire damage was a burnt telemetry wire, and the melting of the paint job on the bonnet nearest the exhaust pipes.  The engines escaped with damage only to the rocker arms.  Heat transmitted from the extreme exhaust temperatures to the rockers turned them blue.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  

We took the liner back to the pits on day four.  I went back to the nozzles and pill sizes and guestimated the barrel valve setting pretty much as what had made horsepower in the past.  Fifteen minutes of work replaced the melted breather lines.  We fired the thing up.  It needed the idle to be set, but all in all the liner was ready to make another run.  

About that time Hartmut and I had a heart to heart talk.  Both of us had agreed prior to the 2012 Bub Meet that this would be the last time the liner would be run under our banner. We came to the conclusion that the tune of the liner wouldn't and couldn't be accomplished before the end of the meet.  It was 5 p.m., we had only two hours left of day four, and day five would only give us six hours, as the meet was scheduled to close at noon, (meaning the bike had to be at pre-stage before noon), and at least an hour and a half of that would be used in a full check of the liner the morning of day five.  We decided the liner was in good mechanical nick except for the blued rocker arms.  Hartmut and I agreed that it would be best we leave the salt with the engines, transmission, all running gear and clutch, in good condition, as we both thought the tune was highly suspect, and could cause serious damage to the power plant.

Max

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
Max, I feel for you and your team, the liner pas been part of your life for a  l o n g  time .
I imagine the hole left in your heart would feel like if you had lost a loved one, but relief the pain had ended.
Tiny
PS thanks for sharing the love affair with the worldwide LSR community  :cheers:
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE