Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93244 times)

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
I can only say "Wow!".  Thanks for sharing this build in words and photos.
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
Man are those things pretty!!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
Well guys, it's been a pretty productive day here at 'home on the range'.  Work day started about 8:30 with Kim, Clyde and I.  First I'll go over the shopping list.  I picked up the stainless steel hinge at Grangers, that would be the hinge that will be attached to the rear of the side car with an 18"X6" flap which will be employed to cause down force as needed.  Next, I'm increasing my engines' breathers by double.  Bought the breathers at the local auto parts store.  Gave the two brand new valve cover caps to Stainless to bore a couple of holes.  When I had Hartmut make the outboard carrier bearing on the right side of the tranny, I asked him to make it to size, or exactly like the old one, except for the obvious, the over size bearings that he made to fit nicely inside the bearing holder.  There was one operation that he couldn't do, due to the chassis being here in Kansas.  Anyway there were 8 1/4-20 holes that had to be drilled and tapped after fitting the transmission in the chassis and locating the holes.  That was done and the transmission is installed and looking good.  Stainless showed up, brought all of his magic boxes, and installed same.  He's got the exhaust pipes bolted up to the engines.  Tomorrow we will locate the position of the sensors, punch the holes, weld up the sensor holders, then after that wrap the pipes and we can finish the wiring required.  I asked Stainless to pull the clutch so I could get to the seal.  Tomorrow I'll install a one off high temperature seal that cost $400.  Well, the guy made two of them, so I have a spare.  

Best,
                                     Max
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:38:19 AM by Stainless1 »

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
 :-D

Well, well.  Another productive day.  Stainless got out of the sack early evidently, cause he was here bright eyed and bushy tailed at the crack of 9:00 a.m.  :)

Anyway he brought his handy dandy step drill.  We decided where the sensor should be in the exhaust pipes, punched the pilot holes.  It looks like even though this is a very tight envelope, I think we've missed everything of import, and we'll still be able to get the lid on and perform routine maintenance on the engines.  So Stainless has the exhaust pipes at his place and says he'll be here tomorrow with the bungs welded in.

I pulled the low temperature seals and installed the two new high dollar high temp seals.  Tomorrow I'll put all of Hartmut's and my home made slider clutch together, add a little weight for lock up, as we are pushing the liner up to about forty mph this year.  Daughter Kim installed the low gear solenoid, which is new for this year.  She also spent the day in 105o heat underneath my pecan tree working on the cocoon.  I'll have to say the body parts are getting a lot of attention from both Kim and Clyde.  It's a quarter to four and she's still out there heaving around.  

We had a malfuegaly yesterday with the transmission.  A couple of the aluminum threaded holes stripped out.  Clyde just showed up, even though he had to work today.  He's planning to helicoil the stripped threads and make them mo betta.  

Talk again tomorrow.  

Keepin' At It,

Max
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:51:37 AM by Stainless1 »

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »
 :-D

Another day beatin' and hammerin' and everything went well.  Stainless spent yesterday evening welding the bungs to the pipes.  This morning he brought all of the data stuff over with the pipes.  The preliminary fitting of the pipes proved that everything was pointing in the right direction.  He was pleased, and I was exhuberant!  Good Job Stainless.  Thanks a bunch!

Stainless brought his half brother over and I put him to work cleaning and painting the clutch parts before assembly.  I had to go to Hups Hardware and find some thousand degree high heat paint.  You all know what bare steel looks like after a couple of days on the salt.  

Yesterday my son Max Re', after 11 hours on the job, made some gaskets for me so I can install the blower, hat, and plenum.  There's a whole bunch of small jobs however very time consuming.  In the Navy we say "To get it done it takes all hands."  I'm proud to say that there are no shirkers on the Black Lightning team.  Thanks Little Max.

This sounds like old hat, but Kim's still out there under the Pecan tree drilling holes and riveting nut plates.  Both of her grandmas worked at Boeing, building bombers during WWII, but I digress.

#:^)#

Forgot.  It's 106o today here in Wichita.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:59:09 AM by Stainless1 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
OK, I cheated... I had to resize a bunch of pics so I just added them to Max's posts.... So look back 3 posts and see the pics Kim has been taking
here is an ad
Max is running a smaller fuel pump that was flowed by Rons' and sized to is system, sometimes bigger is not better
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
That is a great Machine, the sound of 2 Vincents will be quiet an experience :cheers:

Pete
DLRA#866
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Assembly of the bike continues in Kansas.  I've caught Max in the shop working every time I've dropped by in the last week  :-D

Max found the fittings he needed for the transmission shifters at Granger... 7mm X 1/4 inch I think

Has the plenumn installed and the intake manifold pipes attached

And the clutch all set up and ready to run
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
After a couple of test fits and bung welding for the AEM EGT and AFR sensors Max wrapped the pipes and we installed the sensors and strung a few wires
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »
Sidecar bodywork also continues,

Kim and Clyde have been working on the bodywork as well. An ongoing problem with the fiberglass body is the screw holes out in the skins.  Clyde made a few pieces to cure the problem...
Did I mention they are all different, Max failed to make the body a uniform thickness  :roll: so each one is custom for it's hole.  These are for the bottom, matching set for the top
Stainless

Offline Kansas Bad Man

Offline Geo

« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Yippiee Yahooo!

IT starts and runs!  Sounds great!  Hartmut should be proud and a bonus - no leaks!  :cheers:

Great job all. Best of luck!

Geo

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
 :roll:

I've rebuilt the engines something like 12 times, but admittedly never with the precision and strengthening as with Hartmut's rebuild.  The engines have never failed to start right up except for one time, when I leased it to the Canadians in 2001-2002. 

My son's oil leak assessment was a bit premature.  Black Lightning has always leaked a little oil, still does.  Proves she's a Vincent.

#:^)#

Max

Offline Tman

« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
Awesome Max!

Offline Jon

« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Good to see Max, thanks for sharing and for your help.

Best of luck on the salt.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3