Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93249 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

Got a favorable report from Hartmut today on the transmission.  Some of the needle bearings haven't arrived yet, so Hartmut whittled out some bushings so the transmission can be assembled in the case.  All went well and the measurements were all correct.  The transmission has been disassembled and the parts are headed toward heat treat.  Hartmut says that the heat treat will be done by Thursday evening.  Next step is to grind to size.  Hartmut will assume some of the grinding that his shop is capable of doing, but he has another friend who has a grinding shop to finish the pieces that he can't do.  So I guess Hartmut has increased the size of the German team to five guys. 

Max

Offline Jon

« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Looking good Max, thanks for sharing

Good Luck
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
In post 124 I showed you Max's new air scoop prior to assembly....  :roll:
well here is the solid piece that Max carved for the mold
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
and here is where it is headed... the transmission that is being built goes where the plastic box is, blower on top of that.
The scoop will be molded to the top body and sealed to the toilet bowl.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
And through the miracle of time lapse photography.... 

of course it is divided in half to get it  off the mold, will be a single piece when you and I see it again. 

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
18 Jun from Hartmut
Made a lot of swarf today to turn the needed sprockets  for the rear primary front sprocket. Tomorrow I make the other two (rear sprocket and output) and take them to Bernhard to get the splined center broached. Then they all get their teeth at Mike's shop and go for hardening.
I have a hell of crap going on with the shipping documents - seems I need to let a professional shipper handle it. They won't let me do the electronic documents without handling the whole plot. Benny tries to find out if we can do all the documenting at Lufthansa - if that works I will be sleeping much better.

19 Jun
all sprockets finished - tomorrow they will get teeth. The other stuff for gearbox should be ready for pick-up at the hardening shop - keep finger crossed. Benny is still investigating the Air Cargo stuff but I might have a lead to a shipper willing to do the paperwork - again - keep fingers and toes crossed!!!

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
20 Jun from Hartmut
All sprockets finished. Tomorrow morning I get my hardened stuff and get these hardened as well - then its "grinding" for the next day. On Saturday or Sunday Mike and I plan to modify the gearbox case for the new bearings and assemble the box completely and test it on a lathe.

from Max
The picture Hartmut sent shows six sprockets.  The one piece sprockets obviously are the ones Hartmut and friends whittled out.  Far better and more precision than the three sprockets I made in my garage.  For instance, I had no ability to brooch, so I got a clutch from a Chevy, machined the spline on it's outer diameter and bought a universal sixty sprocket, machined a hole in it, pressed the spline in it and welded it.  Pretty much did the same thing on the other two sprockets.  Anyway it's very difficult to fab up a sprocket and weld it to where there is zero run out in it's rotation.  I'm having four rear sprockets manufactured for the rear wheel.  If any of these four are used with the sprockets that Hartmut made there will be zero run out on all sprockets, and zero run out on the five Hillabrand quick change rear end gears.  Hartmut re-punched the holes and got them dead on.  All should make for a very reliable gear train, and should have quite a few extra ponies due to a much more precision unit.  Less friction, more horsepower.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
More progress on the scoop.   One of the elves made an interface piece to go on top of the toilet bowl to give the scoop a sealing surface, that was delivered yesterday morning, progress continues... the scoop is now positioned, mounted and ready to be glassed in.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »
Snuck by while Max was taking his afternoon nap and snapped these today
Scoop almost ready for paint
Stainless

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Just a rookie observer here..................is the scoop the only source of air?  Will sufficient air be available at that point along the body when at or near desired speed? 

I hope you get this beautiful craft into the record books and surpass your speed goals 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
Wouldn't a submerged NACA inlet have far less drag than that scoop?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
I know Stainless likes the NACA inlets but I do not see enough room for one there.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
Yes to all,
the previous edition just drew air from a hole in the top above the toilet bowl... and Max usually quotes Don Vesco, "you don't need a scoop, don't worry, the blower will find air and suck it in"
There is no room for a NACA, yes there will be a little drag associated with the scoop.  All who follow what Max has tried over the last 20 or so years through his 8 streamliners know he is willing to just try something.  We have been fighting salt ingestion, Max has built multiple wheel covers to try to keep the salt out, last year the motel donated a plastic ice bucket to isolate the intake to the top of the bike, it worked.
This is just the next step and a way to help the blower do its work.  Everything in LSR is a trade off.... Success involves trying everything, the things that work you keep, the others make you try something else.
Stainless

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »

In regard to the blower scoop, the trade off is questionable, whether it be positive or negative.  My theory is that it will be a positive effect, no trade off.  I'll try to explain in the simplist way.  If you were to take a piece of tubing and point it in the direction you're going, air going through and by would have little or no drag.  The air scoop, in my case, has a negative pressure lower than atmospheric pressure.  This is due to the square inches of the duct work intake, which is a mere 20% larger than the blower intake.  At speed, say 300 mph, would be the only time that the scoop's atmospheric pressure would begin to increase.  The trade off would be additional, or more than atmospheric pressure to the intake of the blower.  This pressure increase would increase the boost pressure to the engines.  The engines would actually increase in power at the big end, where power is needed.  When the pressure in the intake duct work exceeds atmospheric pressure, this is the only time that drag is increased.  The horsepower increase, in my humble opinion, far exceeds drag increase.  I believe without a doubt the streamliner will be faster with the scoop than without the scoop, or any other air intake to the blower. 

Had a big day at the house.  Workforce included Kim Stuever (my daughter), Max Re' (my son), Clyde Varner, Ellio Gil, and yours truly.  Side car and body was the plan of the day.  Side car wheel scraper 80% complete.  Blower duct plug design and mock up made.  Kim will make the finish one at work.  Belly pan of side car well on it's way.  Quick removal side panel to clean salt from side car wheel 50% complete.  It's all looking pretty good, and my kids promised to be here next weekend as well.  Kim and her friend Clyde come over each evening at the end of their work day and put in a couple or three hours.  Today we have 58 days left until I have to load up. 

Max

P.S. Thank you all for the kudos on the 2012 build.  The Black Lightning crew really appreciates it.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

Boy are you guys going to be in for a treat. I just received five e-mails from Hartmut.  It seems the grinding job was completed ahead of time.  Hartmut took all of the pieces to his friends Mike, and from six this morning until seven at night, they finished up the transmission, and tested the transmission.  A gargantuan undertaking.  This attests to two highly dedicated and talented individuals.  There ain't nobody in the LSR community that wouldn't love to have my team, and they're all working for free, and even helping a bunch on the financing of the project.  I'm terribly humbled.  No words can express my appreciation. 

Max