Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93237 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
More from Hartmut
See the wall full of cams - all of them are Bernhards design and were extensively tested in all sorts of bike and car engines. The dyno - this is where I test my Norton engines. Very accurate and much better than those wheeldriven things - this one is calibrated twice a year and many 300 hp engines that were made elsewhere have had 20 hp less on this dyno. No wonder that Bernhards engines have won more than 100 german championships in all different classes and over 15 european championships as well.... the man is a genius!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
Hartmut impresses me! :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
Hartmut impresses me! :cheers:

Having friends with skills is a good thing

from Hartmut June 12

Here are the first pics of the rear chain tensioner. I made a bracket that is bolted into the case with 5 screws. On this bracket is a platform welded that rests on the bottom of the case, it will take the tensioner screw as well. The outer cover will be connected to the platform as well to spread the load. Then I milled the tensioner blade to get the chain to ride on the rollers and made a spacer for the bolt. The bolt will be stepped with a bigger thread on the outside so there is no weak point on the bolt where it supports the blade. The blade is formed to tension the chain almost without a screw - so if that screw fails or whatever we can still run;-)
Yesterday evening Bernhard and me did the trip to the teeth cutter (100 miles to and fro but well worth it). He makes all the gears for Bernhard's race gearboxes. We explained to him what we want to do and he immediately started on the gears. I phoned him tonight and told him we are in a hurry - in case he forgot ;-)
His reply was that the lose gearwheels are done already and he works on the half-shaft and the layshaft - so I hope to have the stuff back soon.

from Max

Looks like the secondary primary is coming along just fine.  I appears that the main work left are the two new one piece sprockets, and the transmission appears to be moving along at lightning speed as well.  That really has been my most concern about getting the lump and the transmission back to home base in a timely manner.  I'll have to tell you, Hartmut, it's getting a bit scary.  As of today I have only 69 days left until I drive out of the driveway heading for Wendover. 

Yesterday I did come up with a brainstorm that'll speed things up on this end.  Figured out a way to position the blower and the fuel injector in the frame.  This will allow me to do the fiberglass injector scoop work that will seal off the injector intake from the innards of the cocoon to the atmosphere.  This should help a bunch in keeping salt out of the intake tract.  One other thing.  I'll be able to position the external fuel shut off valve.  After that's done, Stainless can get a picture to send off to Bub for the necessary paperwork. 

We had one part missing on the new data collecting system, the ignition sensor to tell the magic boxes the rpm of the engines.  Stainless will be tying this pick up from the spark plug high tension wire into the data collection system.  When the engines get back the first thing we'll have to do is get the engines installed in the frame so I can locate and position the two probes in the exhaust pipes that will give us our fuel/air ratio and our exhaust temperature.  There's not much room between the skin and the exhaust pipes, so I have to get this right.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
13 June from Hartmut

As you can see - the engines are almost finished. I only need to grind and paint the rear primary cover and shorten the screws that hold the tensioner assembly in there .... that's it.
Tomorrow I will get a weighting hook for my chain lift - will hang the engine and wooden box and take the weights to see where we are. Man - I am exhausted but happy that the motors are done.

From Max
Great job, Hartmut!  The Supporters of the Black Lightning Project, and I, say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »
Just to keep things going, Max is working over here to get the scooter ready to go. 

As mentioned Max is putting a scoop on the toilet bowl to eliminate the salt intake into the intake... so the first picture it the scoop.... some assenbly required...

To protect the motors that Hartmut has been working so hard on, Max will be preheating the oil.  Max found some magnetic heaters that the truckers use... don't seem to stick to the aluminum tank, so probably a bracket will be made and shown later

Here's the photo of the new aluminum side straps, they're wider and thicker.  Kim, Max's daughter and her friend from work, Clive, are doing a bang up job doing all of the fixes necessary to hang the body without the loss of fasteners during the run.  Planning self locking nut plates....Did I mention that both of them are professional sheet metal mechanics, and that Clive is a professional machinist? Great workmanship, wish I took better pictures.

Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
Those magnetic heaters get HOT, they will work well.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »
max,
the best of luck to you, don and hartmut.
I hope that this will be your year.

will miss not being there to see the vincent(s) run.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »

A bit of Vincent streamliner transmission history is in order.  When I first built the liner, I used a standard four speed Vincent transmission, and employed a mechanical shifter.  Next came a Surtees five speed transmission, which employed an air shifter.  Next I discarded the transmission and utilized the transmission cavity to support a jackshaft, which went back to a modified Muncie transmission.  Originally the transmission was built for the Easy Rider machine.  Bob George, the principle person behind the design of the Muncie transmission, had reversed the input, Dave Campos told me that he believed this was the reason that the transmission never shifted well.  The transmission wound up in Don Vesco's shop.  I had been enquiring around for a whole Muncie M21 transmission to modify for use in the liner, using second, third, and fourth.  Don said if I could use the Bob George transmission he would send it on to me, and he did.  Had to modify the transmission quite a bit to make it work for the liner.  I changed the input of the transmission, made outboard carrier bearings for the input and output shafts, and built an air actuated mechanical shifter.  The transmission gears weren't the famed "rock crusher" type.  They had more of a helical angle than the rock crusher gears.  Sometimes the transmission worked well, other times it didn't, due to shift linkage adjustment. While in the pits one year the engines running at rather a high rpm, the transmission was engaged inadvertantly.  This blew all the teeth off the gears in the transmission.  We did continue to make a couple of runs by locking the transmission in high gear.  When I got the bike back to Wichita, I located a firm in Chicago that dealt with the Muncie transmission and was having their gears made in Italy.  I bought the gears I needed, changed the ratios a bit, also changed it to a 'rock crusher'.  This transmission I've utilized up until this year.  This year a one off transmission is being built as we speak by a group of four Germans.  More on that later.

Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
A very important piece of the puzzle, i.e., the one off transmission gears are finished.  Hartmut made the 170 mile round trip to pick up the gears from the gear cutter guy.  Don't know his name.  The four principle players who put together their knowledge and skills in the transmission build are Hartmut, Bernard, Mike, and the gear cutter guy.  Anyway I'll get Hartmut's pictures of to my streamliner group, and perhaps Stainless will post the photos for me to this site.  I must apologize for not posting them myself, but my WebTv doesn't have that ability.  

My daughter Kim and her friend Clyde worked Friday and Saturday on the body fasteners.  She took pictures, and hopefully Stainless will post them too.  

I spent the day making the female plug for the new injector air scoop.  Tomorrow I'll glass it up and pull a part off of it.  I managed to get the shape I wanted, and it might give us a few extra ponies on the big end.  One thing for sure, it's design should keep the salt out of the intake.

Max

It's a miracle.... I should have thought of doing this a long time ago....  :-o Stainless
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:27:40 PM by Stainless1 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2012, 02:12:06 AM »
Max, your friends build the prettiest stuff!  :-D :-D :-D  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2012, 02:19:07 AM »
Best wishes to you and all your helpers from down under Max, you deserve a run of good luck this year. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »
OK, here are the Pics of the body refit work going on, couldn't shrink them any more, so they are the next 4 posts from me. 
Max's daughter Kim and her friend Clyde drilling lots of holes
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
Top all drilled jig on to start bottom
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »
Max mentioned Clyde is a machinist and sheetmetal guy.... he built a couple of jigs to make sure everything was drilled perfectly, and the same.... no eyeballing locations for the holes.  here is a pic of the jig
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:59:28 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
And the last, how it works
Stainless