Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93242 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
Well Max is right, there has been a lot of technical interchange that I have left out of the mix, clearances, peculiarities, explanations of why things were done and advice.  A lot of that was mixed with financial exchanges, Max sending money.... so that is why there seemed to be a few jumps and answers with no questions.... But the photos tell the story of the work going into this one last attempt.
Well I'll try to give y'all a little more of the mix from now on as time permits.   On this side of the pond Max has been working on a pushbar, body mounts and new sidecar cover.

Max sent this to the Vincent group a couple of days ago
Here are a few pictures of the new push bar for 2012.  I finally came to the conclusion that pushing the bike up to around 40 mph would be the way to go.  It was probably just a macho thing on my part to be able to say that "My liner drives off.  Doesn't need any push".  Well the fact is that it can, and has many times, but the clutch takes a beating in doing so. 

The first picture shows the aluminum roller, which is the push contact point.  Above that there are two pull cables, these cables satisfy the scrutineers, as one pull cable is for a fire bottle in the engine compartment, and the other is a fire bottle that can be released externally for the cockpit compartment.  There are two switches on the left hand side of the push bar at the extreme rear.  These electrical toggle switches control the master electrical circuit and the water pump circuit.  On the right hand side of the push bar is the engine breather hose.  The catch can still utilizes the inch and a half chrome moly tubing frame.  The two drains are still located in the same place.  The fastening points of the push bar are all complete, except for one, not shown.  When finished, there will be eight fastening points, push bar to frame.

The battery is dedicated to the AEM data system we are installing to monitor air fuel ratios and exhaust gas temperatures in each cylinder.     

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
And a few more including the addition of the cattle guard and push board to front of Max's truck
Stainless

Offline Freud

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
The build is certainly looking clean.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Yes, Hartmut and his friends are doing a beautiful job
Here is more from Hartmut, 1 June
Here are a couple pics of today's work. Mike worked his magic on the CNC lathe and produced all the internals for the gearbox. I have attached a couple pics of the cover as well - so you get an idea what it looks like. I was busy driving around to get the needle bearings and get the chrome stuff here. More to follow.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
here's more from 1 Jun...
note from stainless... a few of these may be out of order, got lost in my mail.... but you get the idea of what is happening
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:37:23 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
3 Jun from Hartmut

outer cover is finished. Tomorrow morning I will make the seal holder for rear crank - its too late today at 11pm to start that piece on the lathe  :-D 
The headsteadies are fitted but I will not paint them as I guess you might need to close the fitting holes with weld and realign them to the framework - if they all match the frame you only need to paint them. The rear holder is still painted as it was not cracked.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
4 June from Hartmut

A day has come and gone and I finished the primary side. The cover was already machined to accept the Viton seal for front crank, today I made the spacer that holds the rear cranks seal. I had to space the 8 holes for the screws a bit differently to avoid the old holes that are in the cover already - therefor I stamped the TOP on the seal holder. The holder has a shoulder that rests in the cover so the position is a given. Next step was to find exact TDC of cylinder no 2. Checked it with the degree wheel and put a permanent mark on the cover - used a screw with the slot facing to the crank. The degree wheel was stamped with TDC 2 and 45 for ignition advance. Total play between the cranks is 1.5 degrees so I guess we should have two very simultaneous firing engines  :-D
Some bearings for the gearbox arrived, others are coming soon and I got the two Festo air cylinders. Tomorrow evening I see Bernhard and bring him the gearbox parts for teething.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
Back on this side of the pond, Max picked up the spare blower drive and 4 cases of Brad Penn... there goes June's Social Security Check  :|

The first pic has Max's newest friend... 5 hour energy.... or one of it's competitors.... Max needs all the help he can get
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:07:24 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Freud

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
Stainless, you are doing a great job presenting this build.

You are also receiving excellent machine work from over the pond.

Max.......the best to you this year.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
 :?

Hi Frued,

Thanks a bunch for the kudos on the clean build.  Over the years, working alone in my garage, I've put a boatload of thought into the chassis build as well as the engines to make the bike clean, neat, and factory in appearance.  I was particularly proud of the engineering I did to couple the engines.  I made all of the outside covers with much thought as to function and form.  I'm pleased to say that all of my engineering has been retained by Hartmut and his professional friends.  They have better machines, and are more talented machinists, each having schooling in this field.  No original design concepts have been changed, however improvements in my design have been made. 

The transmission is the same, only different, if that makes sense.  Different gear ratios, different engaging dogs, and a different chips set up.  All different, but are the same as my initial design.  I'll say one thing.  I would never have thought that the Black Lightning Project would receive a one off transmission.  My hats off to Hartmut and his crew.  Nothing but excellent.

Hartmut is also doing an excellent job in emailing me step by step and keeping me informed of the builds progress.  I do the same.  I have a list to which I post the information and Hartmut's pictures of the build progress.  Stainless takes that and posts to landracing, which I appreciate. 

Were you talking to me or were you talking to Stainless about receiving excellenet from across the pond?

Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »

It's been one heck of a busy day on this side of the pond, and on that side.  The day started off with my daughter coming over to take snapshots of the now five different designs of the Black Lightning t shirts.  She did most of the art work, and I'll have to say that they look pretty good.  After that the rest of the day has been consumed in fitting the body to the streamliner.  Quite a bit of work had to be done on the top lid at the rear where I made major modifications.  Kim Stuever, my daughter, Max Re', my son, and Clyde Varner, Kim's buddy from work all came over to pitch in.  Kim and Clyde have finished the machine work on the side bands that hold the bottom half and the top half of the rear section body.  The new aluminum bands are thicker and wider.  They are also doing a custom fastening method to attach the body to the side bands.  Pretty neat, and impressive. 

I got two emails from Hartmut which included ten pictures of the work going on in Germany.  He did some racing today with his side car rig, and even though he was exhausted he answered a help call from his friend Bernard, to finish up some machine work on the liner's transmission at his shop.  These guys are truly something else.  I met Hartmut some 10 years ago.  He's become a very good friend, and I feel humbled that he is donating so many hundreds of man hours to me and the project known as Black Lightning. 

Max

Offline Freud

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »
Max the way I see it is that you are the one that gets the info from on far and Stainless posts it.

AS long as we keep hearing from your build site is all that's important.

I have more confidence in your success this year than ever before.

I'll be watching and listening.

Go for it, Bad Daddy.

Thanks to Harmut and his chip producing friends.  They too have the feel for the project.

FREUD
Since '63

Online Stan Back

« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
This has got to be your year!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
9 June from Hartmut

I was at the racetrack today with the outfit and had an enjoyable outing. We were faster than ever before (if the stopwatches were not lying) - I had changed the set-up of my dampers and used different springs - no more bottoming so we could go faster over the big jumps.
Then my friends son (15 years old) asked me if I would accompany him in fathers outfit - haven't passengered for 30 years but I went to guide him round the track. We mastered a couple laps and I came home totally exhausted....unloaded the outfit and all my gear, walked the dogs and finally had a cup of coffee at 7pm - time to put my aching body on the sofa.
Telephone rang and buddy Bernhard said he needs my help as he is working on splining of the gearbox parts. So I jumped into the car and drove there to find him busy making splines on our gearbox. Turned out that he wanted me to do some lathe work to make it easier for him to dial it all in on the mill for perfect concentricity. So I reworked a couple parts on the lathe while he ran the CNC mill.
Anyhow - at 10pm we were finished - the teeth on the pinions will be made next week by another buddy of Bernhard. Good to have mechanical wizzards all around that have the tools and ability to use them to make this all happen!  I have sent here the first 5 pics - another 5 come in the next mail.

(of course it will take a couple of posts to see them)
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
continued...
Stainless