Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93240 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
Stainless
I'm figuring on WOS only this year. Maybe post T-shirt info here when available so we can buy/help before SW.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
17 Apr
As the hardened stuff changes dimensions somewhat anyway I put the big sprocket on the lathe and ground the under-size (I left a couple thou in there) internals to proper size for the bearings and the seal. The outside diameter was ground to correct size as well to make the seal run smooth and easy  :-D  So its all concentric to less than a thou.
Next step was to grind the front sprocket internally to a tight fit on the shaft. Took half the day to do all the grinding but it feels so good when all is tight and fits as desired.
After putting the bearings in and securing them with a circlip I pressed the rubber seal into the rear sprocket. Then the whole assembly of front and rear sprocket connected with the chain was pushed on the shafts. Front sprocket is tight on shaft and needed to be pulled home the last 1/8" completely with the big nut and a couple spacers - nice. Then I fitted the inner Bronze disc over the rear gear pin and tightened it up.
Next step was warming the internally nickel plated and ground rear gear pinion in boiling water. Had it in there for 1/2 hour to make sure it will go fully home over that long shaft. First attempt worked perfectly - all dimensions correct - it slid almost home, getting tight within the last 1/16". Hurried to fit a couple spacers to pull it fully home.
So to try if everything is correct I fitted the chain tensioner and turned the cranks - all spins nice and free without tight spots - I guess we have a good bottom end now.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
Ron, as soon as we have shirts going and a good idea of cost that info will be posted here.  Max is entering the scooter for FIM at the Bub, then possibly staying for the World of Speed.  A lot of that will depend on how things go and if Max's SS and Navy Pension hold up.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
Mocked up a circuit board (pun intended) for the AEM tuning and data collection boxes.... lots of wire there.... we are looking at putting it between the skin and the fuel tank... more later as we get it sorted
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
24 Apr from Hartmut

Measured all neccessary spots to make sure all fits as desired - it does. Then got all faces cleaned, turned the distance bushes to their proper size and polished them for the seals in outer cover. Put sealer on both faces and fitted the inner cover. Now its bolted up and sealer dried enough to remove one screw at a time and re-insert it with Loctite to make sure no screw can fall out. While waiting for the sealer to dry I pushed the big seal into its recess around the clutch. So as soon as the ordered Viton seals are here for both cranks I can fit the outer cover as well. Next step now is to fit the big bearing support plate. Have to drill all the screws first for safety wire - will take some time but I'll post pics again.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
30 Apr

Finally I drilled all holes to safety wire all nuts and bolts. So now everything inside the primary is buttoned up. All bolts which couldn't be wired are loctited. Still waiting on the seals for both cranks. So I tried the outer cover for fitment. Had to relieve it for the lowest gear pin nut - but only a millimetre. This week the seals should turn up and I can then finish the cover completely. My piston rings are promised to be here by weekend - takes a bit longer to get steel rings. By then I should have the primary side finished - seals and all.  
Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
That is one big erector set!

Offline Freud

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
What marvelous updates.

Way to go fellows.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »
Just read this from beginning, man what a beautiful piece great job.............
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »
Did a test fit for the AEM tuning and data collection equipment... a couple of issues but we should get it to fit in the scooter.  Replaced the board with an aluminum mount plate, removed some of the unnecessary wires from the connectors so it is a little less crowded.  As you see in the pictures it will mount next to the fuel tank, between the tank and skin. 
Stainless

Offline Jon

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
Looking good

Max, I have a quick question on your chutes if you dont mind.

Which chute do you have the tilt switch wired to, I was going to wire it to the slow chute so that if it triggers i can have the maximum braking i can get.

Does this make sense or am i missing something?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
Jon, both chutes fire if the tip over is activated.  Max's tip switch has a separate mercury switch circuit for each chute wired to fire the pilot pneumatically when tipped.  They do not require master power to be on, they are wired straight to the battery through a fuse of course.
Stainless

Offline Jon

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2012, 01:22:20 AM »
Thanks Stainless/Max for your help...again.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »
Time to catch up a little on the progess across the pond

6 May from Hartmut
Sunday has come and gone almost - spent most of it in the workshop. Chamfered all liners for smooth inserting of rings.Made gaskets and gaped all rings. Then the assembly started. Everything went nice and easy. I lubed the wristpin and the conrod small end with ultra lube - should help a bit on initial start-up as it is very sticky and will stay up there. Rings went on the pistons and each pot was pushed down. The liners go into the bolted up cases without  any effort - all fits properly. Each pot got two tubes to hold the lower gasket a bit under pressure until the sealer has cured. So now I have to start on the heads to get them ready to fit.
Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2012, 12:09:16 AM »
Love that last shot, thanks!