Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93264 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
From Hartmut 28 Mar
Not much to tell tell lately as I was working on some Nortons to get them out of way and a bit money. I have not got the pistons back as Mr Baier is not fully recovered from some illness but he promised them to be the first stuff to finish this week. He can only apply one coat at a time and the coat thickness is only 1 thou - so it takes a while to have all four pistons finished.
Bernhard is busy constructing the new gearbox internals - he phoned me twice this morning to get some needed info. In a day or two it should be all in his computer - then I can study the layout. He wants to know how high the pressure of our Co2 system is as the selector cylinders (there will be two small ones) have to override a spring in the selector mechanism - So I need to know what pressure we run in the CO2.
There will be two little air cylinders attached to the gearbox end, one working only in one direction, the other in both directions. They will be about 3 to 4" long and 1" diameter and will take the space that we occupy now with the two levers behind the gearbox. The shifting can be left as is on the handlebar - if we prefer to have the possibility to shift back into low gear this can be arranged as well.
On the liner engine I have finished the left half completely with all helicoils etc and will paint it tomorrow. By weekend I plan to finish the right halves as well so probably somewhere next week I can assemble the bottom end.
All the steel parts that need hardening go into the shop tomorrow, some small stuff is away for plating - when its all back I will be ready with the right half.
Will take some pics tomorrow

30 Mar
Here are the latest pics: left half is painted and ready for assembly. Finished all parts of the left side for the hardening process. They are in the shop now and will be finished next week. I forgot to tell you that I need 4 ball bearings, they are all the same dimension. outer dia 2,62", inner dia 1,5" x 0,562 wide. They are marked: Japan Nachi 7R24. These are the bearings for the clutch shaft and the clutch sprocket. I can't find them here. The old bearings are notchy so I would like to fit new bearings.
Now I am checking the right halves but so far there is nothing wrong. Next step is the making of a couple bolts to connect the halves together. As I cannot fit nuts on a couple bolts near the primary due to lack of space because of my stiffening brackets, I have to make a couple studs that are fitted into the helicoils.
Talked to Mr Baier about the pistons and cylinders. He is still handicapped with a broken hand but he's working on our stuff. The pistons are receiving the final coats. The coat gets baked on the skirts and on Monday he will make the final measurements. So they will be here next week.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
2 Apr
Here is some news. Went to the paint shop today and found a very close match for the red paint on the covers. Ordered it and should be there tomorrow. The man representing the Erik SEALS factory will come tomorrow and visit me to tell my when seals for the clutch are ready. Bernhard has phoned me this morning about the gearbox.The man is amazing - as he is chief of the whole construction department of a big factory he is always very busy. To avoid losing his driving licence because of speeding he has a driver. So he spends the drive time in the back of the car and constructs things like our gearbox or a new race car engine.....never wastes any time, a restless soul!

Here is what he says about the Muncie box: The old gap between gears was 1200 revs between low and second and 1800 between second and high.The shafts were not parallel, 0,02" off!!! Anyway, we have to modify the box housing so this will be corrected. We talked a while and are now planning for around 1800 between 1 and 2, and max 1500 rpm for the gap from 2. to 3rd gear (depending on numbers of teeth). Thus we would use the big spread torque at the slower speeds and when changing into high we would probably fall into the torque spike of engines and go from there. Tomorrow evening he has all the internals dialed in and starts on the CAD to make drawings for my mate Mike. I will meet him then and discuss all of it to make sure we get what we need. So by weekend the material gets ordered and early next week Mike will start to mill and turn the first parts for the new box. While Mike and the teeth cutter are doing the parts Bernhard will finish the CAD for the gear change - we will have a new end cover where the shifter cylinders are bolted on as well.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
4 Apr
The cases are painted, red color for the covers is a close match - not perfect but I think we can live with it. Sent the envelope with cash to Mr Baier - he gave me a special price - less than half what all his work usually costs. 350 Euros. He checked all his records and said he has put equal thick coatings on race pistons and they all worked. The EriK Seal representative was here yesterday - after seeing the engines he said he will give us all possible help. Those two big seals would cost 450 Euros as they are specially made - I get them free!!!!! As they will only be here when the engine is already back at your place I will send them over and make a tool for fitting them - is a bit tricky but should stand all heat and punishment on the flats.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
4 Apr reply from Max
 The paint job looks good to me.  Of course I'm a bit color blind when it  comes to reds.  It'll look good, I'm sure.  If those high dollar special seals are a bit tricky to put in, like you say, I think I'll have Stainless put them in because I don't want to screw up a 450 Euro seal.  If it doesn't work we can all blame him.  :-D

from Hartmut
Don't worry too much about putting the seals in - they work differently than ordinary rubber seals: as we all know a rubber or viton seal has a sharp lip which rides on the shaft. Inner diameter is only a fraction smaller than the shaft. These special seals have two lips (one for keeping dirt out- facing outwards and only a fraction smaller than the shaft) BUT THE INNER SEAL IS A LIP WITH MUCH SMALLER DIAMETER - facing inwards. Thus the procedure is to fit a spacer inside the seal prior to fitting that is bigger in diameter than the shaft. Let it sit overnight. Then take it out and you will realize that the inner lip diameter is stretched bigger than the shaft. Push the seal in quickly and wait a while - the lip comes back to its old shape and will seal perfectly. So no big deal - when I send those seals over I will put a spacer-stretcher in the parcel as well. As the outer housing is steel they should be easy to fit.
Will check the idlers and other shafts over Easter - weather forecast is lousy so I can spend my time in the workshop;-) Tomorrow afternoon pressure is off from my shoulders as I finished a couple bikes this week so I have time to check all wristpin bushes and renew where necessary. Hope to have all of the bottom end ready to assemble after Easter. Will talk to my friend Helmut about the piston ring situation when I have the cylinders here for measurement.

Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Oh OH! Pressure is on Stainless now! :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
6 Apr from Hartmut
This afternoon I had to visit Bernhard to check his gearbox construction. Everything is ready in the CAD. We talked it all over and came to this conclusion:

low gear will be 187 mph at 6500
second will be 283 mph at 6500
high gear will be 384mph at 6500

So the jump from first to second is 2200 revs, second to high is 1700. We think this is a good compromise between a shorter low gear (what we want) and still the possibility to go very fast in high....

In the first pics you see Bernhard on the CAD with the gearbox internals (viewed from the bottom upwards)
One pic shows the two gear selector forks - each riding on its own shaft. The shafts have groves on one end where a lock pin sits - thus the lock pin is moved out of one shaft and travels into the other shaft when a gear is changed - this makes extra sure that there is no way that the system can accidentally select two gears same time. The low gear has its own air cylinder, working one way only to push the box in low. Second and high work with a double working cylinder that pushes the selector muff in either gear. More or less the same we had with the exception that the box jumps back into neutral when air or electricity that triggers the air valves is switched off - I like it cause I have the opportunity to take the bike out of gear immediately if shit happens at high speed.
More in the next post.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
more
In these pics you see the man and some of his work. There is a heavy duty four speed gearbox for a 600 hp AWD race car. You see the 3 broaches which we will use on the gearbox parts. Selector forks and selector muffs are parts that he already uses in all his gearboxes. On the shelf you see injection tubes that are cast and machined to his design for his race engines. There are many more shelves with special parts - the man is a genius. Anyway - I found the time to test our Norton twin project on Bernhard's dyno - our 905cc engine puts out 82 Nm between 3000 and 5500, this without any tuning of the inlet track length etc - all based on Bernhard's calculations and on his homemade cams - the slowest was in the motor when I tested it so I have four more aggressive cams to test and play around with inlet and exhaust length and form to get the best out of it. Bernhard gets a 600 Domi from me with one of these engines to cruise around (run circles around) with his BMW friends  :-D Needless to say he has already constructed a 6-speed gearbox for our Norton project as well....

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
from Max
All of the energizing and de-energizing of the three solenoids required will have to be done through electrical circuits.  First, before I begin, I'll have to add one more solenoid, as there is only a double solenoid set up on the bike, which will work just fine for second and high.   This is how I'll wire it up: I'll run a hot wire back to the area where I manipulate the switches for starting.  It'll have a toggle switch where I can energize the solenoid for low gear.  There'll be a switch, as before, for second and high; however, when you shift to second, not only does the switch energize the solenoid for second gear, but breaks the circuit to the low gear hot lead.  The delay needed to get low gear disengaged before second gear engages should be controlled by the shafts of the shifting forks, if I understand how they work.  As soon as low gear is out of gear, or nearly out of gear, i.e., the pin out of it's slot, this will allow the already pressurized cylinder for second gear to actuate the shift.  The set up as it is with the dual solenoid will work fine.  Switch up, second gear solenoid energized, simultaneously breaks circuit to low gear solenoid, switch in neutral position, no circuit to either second gear or high gear, all pressures relieved on all air cylinders.  Switch in the downward position, solenoid energized on high gear.  As you say, you'll be able to put the bike in neutral by centering the second and high gear toggle switch.  One feature that we gained is that we can easily start the bike in the pits and not worry about it being in or out of gear, and it will also keep us from putting the bonnet on when it isn't in gear, requiring us to pull the bonnet to put it in gear, which has happened several times.  I like that feature.  Now I've got to find a suitable solenoid valve for low gear, and of course, find a place to put it. 

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
I mentioned earlier we were getting some tuning and data collection equipment from AEM, pictures will be posted when I start the layout.  A couple of Max's supporters, Ross Powers (mc2032 on this site) and his brother Kurt Powers figured we would need a computer to work with that stuff so they donated one. 
Thanks Ross and Kurt
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
Last one for a bit, I have to get back to work on the Bockscar...
Max is working on T shirts to sell at the salt to support the effort a little, his daughter Kim designed these...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »
12 Apr from Hartmut
Here is a pic of piston and cylinder. Superfine hone and coating on the piston. Mr Baier has sent a couple small stickers as well.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
13 Apr from Hartmut
I made a new bushing for the front crank, front cylinder. The old bushing had spun in the rod and thus no oil reaching the pin - more heat in the piston, that was the reason for the sloppy piston pin in that one....
All cases are cleaned completely and cranks as well so I started the rebuild. Rear crank is in, case bolted up. Tomorrow the forecast is lousy so I will spend the day in the shop and put the front crank in and bolt that half up as well. On Monday I will see Helmut and tell him the measurements for the needed piston rings - he has a contact at one of Germany's biggest piston makers - Mahle.

Now Thomas and me are off for another Friday evening beer  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
More
On the other pics you see the article in the German classic bike mag. No text worth mentioning but at least we got into the papers  :-D
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
16 Apr
Front crank is in, cases bolted up. The two spacers that I made for the crank Timken bearings were hardened and ground to the proper size. No play but easy to spin the cranks. So now we have two cranks in cases that don't rub anywhere and spin nice and easy. Got a phone call that my hardened stuff is ready so I went there and picked the box up. Will start the clutch shaft assembly etc this evening so expect a couple more pics later tonight. Tomorrow I have to call for the piston rings - if I fail to get totalseal rings I will fit high quality rings with 0,015" ring gap
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »
16 Apr... late
After all the bolts were in the cases and tightened up I started on the gear drive. Heated the front pinion in boiling water to make it expand a bit as I had the bore nickel plated and ground out to a slight under-size to make it a tight fit on the shaft. Once hot it slid easily over the shaft and I tightened everything to make it cool in its final position. All still turns nice and free. The clutch bearing plate got new bearings and a slit to allow oil to drain in there. I left the seal on the inner side of the inner bearing so that all oil that gets in there cannot escape - should be well lubed now. Too late to start on the assembly of the chain drive so I managed to solder the spring clip to the outer link plate for extra security. Tomorrow morning I will assemble the chain and gear drive and offer up the big chain case - this time with sealer on the mating faces - seems we are making progress now!
Stainless