Author Topic: Chat Problems  (Read 3940 times)

landracing

Chat Problems
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:24:12 PM »
List,

Here is some information to follow if you cannot get into the chat section. There have been numerous people who have inquired about this. So here is a help section. Try it out and let me know if you can now log in after following the steps below.

jon

My web browser reports "load: class Client not found" error when loading SigmaChat

The Load class Client not found error is among the most notorious of Java applet error messages, and can be caused by a number of different problems. Usually, this problem indicates that your web browser has downloaded/ cached an invalid copy of our chat software (cache instability or an error in download). Minor network glitches between your computer and RaiderSoft's servers can also cause the problem. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the problem can be resolved by emptying your browsers cache (or Temporary Internet Files), then shutting down all instances of your web browser, and trying again. In rare circumstances, a reboot may be required.

To empty your browser's cache using Microsoft Internet Explorer:

Click on Tools from your browser's main menu.
Select Internet Options
Under the General tab, click Delete Files... in the Temporary Internet files section.
Important: Shutdown all open instances of your web browser.

To empty your browser's cache using Netscape:

Click on Edit from your browser's main menu.
Select Preferences
Select and expand the Advanced category.
Click on Cache
Under Set Cache Options:
Click Clear Memory Cache
Click Clear Disk Cache
Click OK
Important: Shutdown all open instances of your web browser.

When I attempt to open the Java? applet, I see a blank gray box only.
My web browser reports a "bad magic number" error when loading SigmaChat
When I attempt to open the Java? applet, I see a red checkbox only.

Try emptying your browser's cache first (see above). Remember to shut down all instances of your web browser after emptying the cache (temporary internet files). If this does not work, it is possible that you do not have Java? installed. Please visit Sun's Free Java? Download Site to download and install Java. Java is the most powerful extension to web technology today, and no web browser is complete without it!

When I attempt to open the chat room, a message appears telling me to install software. What is wrong?

You need to install Java? support (see above) On most computers, you can simply follow the on-screen directions to have Java? installed for you automatically by your web browser. If this fails, we strongly encourage you to visit Sun's Free Java? Download Site to download and install Java. Java is the most powerful extension to web technology today, and no web browser is complete without it!

My Macintosh computer is having various problems with SigmaChat.
SigmaChat is not supported on Macintosh OS 8.x and below systems. SigmaChat runs best on OS X when using MSIE, Netscape or Mozilla. When using OS 9 we recommend using MSIE only. Problems have been reported when using the Safari browser.

I connect to to the internet with AOL, but am unable to login to the Java? applet.
Do not use the built-in AOL web browser. Instead, use the web browser (usually Microsoft Internet Explorer) that was included with your computer/operating system.

click here to install the latest Java program for your computer.
http://www.java.com/en/

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Chat Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »
Thanks Jon, but I'm still having problems.  Blank screen with the big box and it loads about 1/2 way I'm guessing and then hangs.  I seem to have Java on my computer now, but it is the verstion that came with the original windows.  If I go to their site and I can't find a download for anything further back than Windows 98 SE and I'm the version before that.

I would like to know if anyone is logging on to the chat with Windows 98, not Windows 98 SE.

If so you would please send me a PM.

Jon I can log onto the chat on this board, http://www.roddingroundtable.com/, with no problems and it is a similar board to this one, but there must be some difference.

c ya, Sum

landracing

Chat Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:50:56 PM »
Sum,

There is a big difference... The roundtable chat you can log into uses php scripting and a database, the one on this site is Java based chat.

Did you download the latest java program that the link provided?

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Chat Problems
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 11:16:35 PM »
Quote from: landracing
Sum,

There is a big difference... The roundtable chat you can log into uses php scripting and a database, the one on this site is Java based chat.

Did you download the latest java program that the link provided?

Jon

Well I knew there must be some easy explanation :oops: .  I'm going to be out of town awhile.  I'll try again when I get back, but like I said, the last time I was on their site they didn't have an update for "old" Windows 98 I could find just Windows 98 SE.  I tried to download that and ran into a problem.  

I guess sooner or later I'm going to have to pick a newer version of Windows :cry: .

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Sum

landracing

Chat Problems
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:18:12 PM »
Additionally,

Try this first. I have setup a test page for the chat, this page will detect if your browser is capable of using the chat board. After the test is complete and you ARE NOT up to the latest software this should pop up a link to upgrade to the latest drivers. You can trust this download. It should download and install automatically after you click it to download the latest java software.

http://www.landracing.com/news/testchat.htm

Give that a shot and post if you have problems