Author Topic: Any history help for this Roadster/Lakester?  (Read 9785 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Any history help for this Roadster/Lakester?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
A term used in antiques is "sympathetic restoration".  Means minimum restoration to functional.

Offline speakfordadead

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
My vote too is preservation....   :mrgreen:

Offline Bebe

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
Why not assemble all the parts you've got before you make a decision? That way you'd know what parts you need and the scope of the project before you start a full restoration.

Peter

We talked about that just last night, put everything together, buy anything that's missing, and then blow it apart and restore it.

We also talked about building an additional cage that will pass tech, (upgrading what ever needs to be) and getting it back out to Bonneville.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
  Bebe, I think updating the car is beyond consideration.
  The car would need a new "everything" including chassis.  These cars rust not only on the outside but from the inside of the chassis out.
  The car deserves to be restored either to "original as raced", or as a static display (it would be in my living room).
  At that point if you have the "bug" bad enough, build a new updated simillar car that looks just as good and has all of today's safety features.
  Then line the new car up at Speedweek and "GO LIKE HELL"!
  In the mean time keep us posted, ask all the questions you want and come to the salt and/or dry lakes and find out why your Dad and the rest of us have given our all to make it every year........  Bob :cheers:

Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
This car started out like yours. The customer wanted to race it and this is what it turned into. Not what you want I think.

Enjoy your project.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
We talked about that just last night, put everything together, buy anything that's missing, and then blow it apart and restore it.

We also talked about building an additional cage that will pass tech, (upgrading what ever needs to be) and getting it back out to Bonneville.

Bob's a smart guy, and the car will need a LOT of work, and a LOT of parts replaced, to run at Bonneville.

I'm going to have to disagree with Bob, though, and say that I think the idea of restoring/building the car for Bonneville is great! Good luck
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:35:57 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Bebe

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
Wow - thanks!

It's hard to say at this point what we will end up with, but we will definitely find out more as we get into the project. All original parts assembly will be first up I imagine.

Thanks all for your advice.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
Cool roadster!!! Looks like a Norden center steering box. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bebe

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Joe, I will get to it right now the house and my office is tore up getting ready for new carpet so I can't get to my files.

Bumping to the top....does anyone have the souvenir programs for Bonneville 55-57?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
I saw this originally over on the HAMB and immediately fell in lust.  I can't explain why but it struck something almost to the genetic level.  Were it mine I would try and do a sympathetic restoration.  Not with the idea of running it on the salt competitively.  The rules have changed too much and to meet them with that car would require a complete change of character.  But it could be brought back to original and a runner.  So much of our history is lost or thrown away, to do anything but bring that car back to the way it was would be a sin.  Whatever you decide to do, good luck.  I for one will be eagerly following this thread.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
For programs and related stuff try Jim Miller.

Jim is on the board of the American Hot Rod Foundation: www.ahrf.com.

He specializes in Bonneville and dry lakes history. I have seen a very comprehensive collection of programs, entry lists, results, magazines, etc. in his home. He is single because a woman would not allow his filing system in her home.

Contact Jim at: miller212.842@sbcglobal.net

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bebe

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Bebe

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »
For programs and related stuff try Jim Miller.

Jim is on the board of the American Hot Rod Foundation: www.ahrf.com.

He specializes in Bonneville and dry lakes history. I have seen a very comprehensive collection of programs, entry lists, results, magazines, etc. in his home. He is single because a woman would not allow his filing system in her home.

Contact Jim at: miller212.842@sbcglobal.net

DW

I sent him an e-mail...no reply yet, is he out on assignment?

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
I haven't talked to him for a while. I do know he is caring for a very sick friend, terminal, and may be busy. He'll get back to you.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth