Author Topic: production class Buell XB12 motorcycle exhaust question  (Read 4125 times)

Offline mtkawboy

production class Buell XB12 motorcycle exhaust question
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
The factory muffler on an 07 Buell XB12SS has a larger stainless steel tip that has a smaller pipe imside of it. My question, as the book says must appear stock, is where are you looking at it for it to appear stock ? Standing along side of it you cant see the inner pipe, up close down at the outlet you can. So which opening do you have to use ? I think I know but Id like a second opinion.

Offline NathanStewart

Re: production class Buell XB12 motorcycle exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
man, someone would have to really be up on their buell knowledge to know about or notice that in the first place.  side note, i have an xb9s and i'd LOVE to race it one day.  well i'd like to turbo it first and then race it.  actually, i've put 50k miles on my bike so it's probably time for a new one.

i don't run a bike or have anything to do with that side of things so i'm merely taking up bandwidth.  hope you get your answer.  btw the easiest thing to do is crack open your current rule book and call or email the motorcycle techs.  you'll get 12 different answers on here and useless comments like mine.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Look in Sec. 7.E, P.114 of the 2012 rulebook.

"... The exhaust system, looking at the end (down its centerline) shall be unmodified, i.e. the exit diameter of the canister (muffler) cannot be enlarged.  This comparison will be made when the bike is assembled as ready to run.  Any performance modifications must be out of view..."

If you're planning on running in a Production class you'd be wise to carry a couple of pieces of the factory's literature, handbooks, and shop manual.  they may well be requested by the inspecting official, and not having them could be "grounds" for tossing you out of impound.  Remember that the pre-racing inspection is mostly for safety items, not class confirmation.  Sometimes you'll have a safety inspector point out something that won't make it and you might as well go change it now.  But you will likely be asked about it in Impound.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
The reason Im asking is that the rule kind of contradicts itself. If you look from the end down the centerline all you can see is the larger stainless tip, not the inner pipe as the exhaust exits out the left side of the muffler under the engine. So, its all in how someone would interprep that. You have to look at the side of the pipe to see it, thats what I meant by where youre standing defines what you see. I was hoping that someone who ran one would answer this. I dont even know if Ill do this but I sure wouldnt want to show up and get tossed right off the bat but Id also like every advantage I could get too. Maybe its a "spirit of the rules" thing. If so, I wont do it. Its highly unlikely it will ever see impound.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:16:01 PM by mtkawboy »

Offline 46champ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »
I think by asking the question you let the cat out of the bag. :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
Section 16, page 176 can be your friend in this case.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
Try not to read what you want to see... the end of the exhaust system is where the exhaust comes out... so it must look stock and the outlet size must be unmodified...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Thanks for somebody answering anyway, Im sorry if I aired anyones dirty laundry by accident. Ill be looking around this coming year at what others are doing