Author Topic: NAE 2012 plans  (Read 43774 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
NAE 2012 plans
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
We'll be conducting an engine/systems test at Shelton Airport in late April or early May. The port of Shelton has buried three 1200 lb
concrete blocks, 6 feet down with large gauge chain so we can stay secured while we run the engine at full power with afterburner.
We may also do this in conjunction with the opening of the new Ridge Motorsports part that features a new drag strip and road racing
course. We are also working on the details that will allow us to conduct test runs at Edwards AFB in June. We are hoping to run
on the the lakebed, runway 15 which is 6 miles long. We obviously cannot run for the record there but it will give us a smooth surface
and enough distance to validate our CFD numbers against real time data from our various sensors distributed throughout the fuselage.
We are also negotiating with the BLM for permission to run in October at Diamond Valley, NV. They want $35,000 to move ahead
with the permit process. After 2 years and lots of paperwork, you would think we are in but that isn't the case yet. I've recently
met with the BLM (again), met with the Eureka County Commissioners, Eureka County Sheriff, Eureka County Airport management,
Western Shoshone Tribe of Indians and the new owners of the Sadler-Brown Ranch. Everyone is in favor of us conducting high
speed runs but the BLM is holding out for money. We began a donation campaign to try to raise the needed funds. If you go to
our website, www.landspeed.com, you can donate through PayPal. I've also been posting on Facebook. Keeping our fingers crossed!
Ed

Offline F104A

Re: NAE 2012 plans
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »
Well folks, looks like Edwards AFB if officially off the list. They were able to come up with more bureaucratic red tape
that is impossible for us surfs in the village to get over. Now we're back to begging the BLM for permission to run
somewhere else. Maybe I-5 on a Sunday morning? Black Rock is to rough, El Mirage is to short, Edwards is to bureaucratic,
Bonneville is to salty and to thin for our 14,000 lb vehicle. Two other venues are left to negotiate over and one of them
wants $35,000 by March 15 to run the paperwork for a fall run. Our government sure doesn't want us to take that
record back from the Brit's.
Ed

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »
Ed, perhaps several of the contending teams could pool their resources?  A supersonic shootout.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »
They'd look more favorable at your effort if your car would be solar powered.
Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
Ed, maybe if you painted the car green. Those government idiots are more concerned with image than substance.  :wink: Wayno

Offline F104A

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
The media would like to see us run all the teams side by side. Makes for a more exciting show as they
document the crashes and interview any survivors.
Ed

McRat

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
It's interesting how little land the American People own as a group anymore.

I don't count any land that is controlled by Congress, the military bureaucracy, or Executive agencies, since Americans must obey laws, and they do not, hence they aren't really Americans in the classic sense; they are more akin to Royalty from the dark ages.

I assume you've donated to your Congress reps, and have written them letters.  We have the best Congress money can buy.  Edwards is not needed as a backup for Shuttle operations, so they really have no reason to stop you from running there.

You could run the engine off the new military algae-based fuel.  If it works in an F-15, it will probably work in a 104.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Ed... McRat may have something there. Apply for a grant to test different types of fuel, and a place to do some 'Government" testing. It worked for Solindra. Hanging a few solar cells around wouldn't hurt and in conversation make sure you mention the word "Green" every chance you get.
 Good luck man!

Smitty      :cheers:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »
  Ed, I am sure you have already looking into this, but if not you might want to look into the Alvord Desert in South East Oregon which is only about a hundred miles (as the crow flies) from Black Rock.
  I would imagine that it is also under BLM or State of Oregon juristiction, but it might be in a different distict or beraucracy.
  The big headache as with any other site is the logistics of being in Bum F*ck, Egypt and trying to get the Windsailer's, motorized hang glider's and off roaders to stay off the course.         Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
The BLM in Oregon has an excellent relationship with the dirt bike club I belong to.  Our riding area is on their land.  They might be easier to work with.

Offline F104A

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
Kindof keeping our negotiations with the Alvord folks secret so the Diamond Valley bunch don't contaminate their minds.
I'll keep you posted. Don't want to count any chickens, if you get my drift.
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
We've posted a press release on facebook about Valerie Thompson driving the NAE for the female land speed record.
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
A little video for your entertainment.
http://youtu.be/zgmyiiBNNKk
Ed

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Some of us don't do Facebook Ed.

Nice little video.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
Fun video to watch, Ed -- but how about losing the music?  It gets in the way of appreciating the sound of the car and even of you talking for that two seconds.  I would have turned the sound off -- but wanted to hear the roar.  Sure looks fun - and dusty!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com