Author Topic: Hot Rod Lincoln :2012 Bonneville ..................  (Read 66562 times)

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
Re: Hot Rod Lincoln :2012 Bonneville ..................
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

the record is ours ...... we ran a 164.2 this morning....  we got it by approx 2.5 mph

we had them seal the engine and we are doing a gear change and tire change and sending dad out in the car. it should have a 5 mph advantage if the air is good.

See ya later

Jon

Offline horsewidower

• New folks
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
Congratulations.

If you have any pictures, I'd sure like to see them.

Offline DND

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »
Hi Hot Rod

Did your Dad go faster with the last runs?

Don

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
neither dad or I were able to bump the record the air got bad and a 10 mph cross headwind picked up 10 mph at mile 2 and 3 and zero wind at mile 4.  We did a gear and tire change it picked up rpm and should run faster. My run had a 12 mph recorded cross headwind.

The official number is 164.845
this car has a ton left in her....it's never even been to an alignment shop. I have at least 6 things to do to make it faster. I'm think better than 10 mph faster next year.......  we shall see.

Leaving impound at sunrise:

Staging lanes:

Our Lincoln at the starting line next to Speed Demon. We were at mile 4 when it went by at 432!!!!!

Esslinger 3.94 x 3.59   power to 9,000  built by Bruce Nogrady

the engine is canted at 30* ..it really threw some people off.

Dad and me after his 160.1 mph run into the headwind:

only his second time in the car...he pulled away from the push truck and did a 8,500 rpm 1-2 shift and then banged the other shifts at 9,000. We all love that G-Force trans.... what a blast to shift that thing.

What a heck of a week.... we were the last car out of tech and one of the last tow rigs on the salt Saturday afternoon.

Met some really nice people again this year......

Jon
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:50:03 AM by Hot Rod Lincoln »

Offline horsewidower

• New folks
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
Thanks again.  The pictures are really nice.

I assume you are using a midget pan in order to get that cant for the engine. It gives me some ideas for my roadracing car.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
What are you guys running for a water pump?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
esslinger mechanical... with the large 4 core radiator ( built for the turbo engine ) the water temp was never over 150 degrees. most runs it was 140, the oil temp never exceeded 180*.  We put an oil heater blanket on the dry sump tank and got some heat in the oil before most runs.

Jon

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  That's what I wanted to hear.  I happen to have a new Esslinger pump sitting on my dining room table.   8-)

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »

The aerodynamics are something that get factored in with exponential ratios as the speeds increase

Certainly so, but I'm thinking cd has an effect on anything over 100mph. All else being equal I'm thinking the Lincoln will have an advantage over a Fox body stang with any engine running over 150 mph.

I wish I still had the magazine from years back ( 25yrs ago +/-) Motor Trend did an article on a factory GM test-bed Corvette nick named "Thumper". If I recall correctly the car ran 190 mph with something like 580 hp ( ? I forget the actual number) For the Vet to run 200 mph they would either have to increase the hp by 87 or reduce the drag from .34 to .28 ( the numbers are somewhere in that range, I read it 25 years ago, so I'm going off memory)   that's a .06 difference. Best info I have available the Lincoln has a .07 advantage over the the Fox body Mustang and with it's longer wheelbase it should handle a hell of a lot better. I'm thinking that .07 advantage will be of benefit over 150 mph.  We sure better be able to run over 150 with the NA engine......

Jon

Jon,
All in all, I think you have it pretty much figured out .... that link that you provided to the markviii dot org sort of says it all.... less than 300 hp on a Ford dyno .... and they achieved over 180 mph.... Also, the fuel economy stats on the car itself (in stock form) are telling....

Suffice it to say, I was not in any way inferring that the car does not have good overall aerodynamics... I am pretty sure that it DOES!.....

Dave,

Thanks again for the information on the gears for the transmission .....I'll post a video of my brother running it when I get a chance.

Thanks again....I'll be talking to you about next years turbo project if you don't mind.

Jon

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
What are you guys running for a water pump?

Mike

HI Mike,

I saw the info on the turbo 4 web site. This engine was built with a Ford motorsport tall deck block. You can see on the mock-up engine that we spaced the head from the deck about 5/8".

I'm sorry to read that you had parts delivery issues.....that just sucks. We got our car running at the very last minute and left home 24 hrs later than we wanted so we could get as much done as possible before we hit the salt. As it was we ended up working on the car in the pits all day Saturday and Sunday. We finally got the car to tech late Sunday afternoon and ended up getting a 5 point punch list from them. We completed the punch list on Monday morning and Dad drove the car for the first time Monday mid-day.  His shake-down run was 130 mph on course 4 ... it was the first time the car had moved over 10" under it's own power. I had my fingers crossed as he pulled away from the push truck.  

I need to write out a diary of our days on the salt. It was interesting. The car would have run 160 on it's second pass if we let Nogrady build the intake manifold the way he wanted to begin with.

Good luck with your build....I look forward to getting the turbo engine in our car.  The F/BGC record got bumped a few mph this year, I think 208 +/-.

I know you've seen the video of the back-up run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrWKHWItxuA

the first two markers on the left are the turn-out markers, 1/4 markers thereafter. The orange markers are the mile markers. We ran the car to 3.25 miles so I could get a GPS reading and see if the car was still gaining speed. It GPS'd at 169 mph 3 times.  As I stated she has a ton left in her....I can't wait until next year.

Maybe I'll work on the daily log tonight......

Jon
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:25:40 PM by Hot Rod Lincoln »

Offline JimL

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »
Next time you see Bruce tell him Jim & Jeanne say "hi" and we've lost his number.  He's one of the good ones!  You can pm me his number if you don't mind.  Jeanne was the recep desk at TRD when Bruce was there.

Thanks, JimL

Offline Freud

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
It looks faster this way.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
Next time you see Bruce tell him Jim & Jeanne say "hi" and we've lost his number.  He's one of the good ones!  You can pm me his number if you don't mind.  Jeanne was the recep desk at TRD when Bruce was there.

Thanks, JimL

I talked to him twice yesterday. I called him after he watched the Youtube video ..... he was all kinds of excited after listening to one of his engines run WOT for 75 seconds. He wants to come to the salt next year.

He is excited about working on our Turbo engine for next year.

to get his number just goolge: Bruce Nogrady Racing, Murrieta California.  you should find it.

Jon

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
It looks faster this way.

FREUD

I asked them if they wanted to race to the 1/4 mile marker...... lol

What a great crew working on that car.  They wanted us to know they weren't " jumping us" in line when they pushed the car passed us on our right.  We said... " well if we are going to get jumped by anyone........."

Jon

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
Jon, it was great meeting you on the salt!!!  congrats on your speeds!  (we were the guys in the orange Charger)

See you next year,
-Scott