Author Topic: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA  (Read 86514 times)

Offline Freud

Re: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
The Turbinator has belt drive. So does Treit and Davenport.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
The body is finally complete. It turned out pretty good and will require minimal body work.We are in process of building the tail fin and air intake scoop.
We did a little Red Neck driveway wind testing using a couple of turbofans. The results were okay. Although low speed air, (100mph) doesn't really mean much, at least the wind tags were all blowing liniear over the entire car.
I'am happy. :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
It looks fast standing still and that's always a good sign. Nice job guys!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
Looks good! Were you with Rick this year? I bet we talked in your pit while I was looking for DW..........

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
Yup. I was there at the White Goose the whole time. Sorry I missed you. We worked our  tails off. Not a good year for the Nebulous Theorem lll.
In spite of all that we still had lots of fun. At Bonneville with all our friends. Can't ask for more than that. Well another record for the liner would have been nice.

Next stop El Mirage Sept 16 and 17 With the C motor.

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »
Keep going!  It's looking great!!!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I agree! It's lookin great! Keep going!
I did not get a chance to stop by the NebIII pit this year also. Just to busy. I arrived late so I had an abbreviated schedule. It would have been good to meet.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 01:48:10 AM »
Where does a guy scrounge up a fan that moves large quantities of air at 100 MPH? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 07:30:42 AM »
Jack uses about a 1/2 dozen weed blowers  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
Been following the build, great work, can't wait to see it in person. Curious to see more details of the tail. As it has been said on this site often, it's how you close up the hole in the air that is important. I think you may find dirt or salt build up on the vertical area behind the rear tires where the body turns back in when you run it. It looks like a nice job radiusing that area and the back around the chutes looks great. If you have a good leaf blower it might be beneficial to put the tags in the rear and run the air in that direction along the side and top of the body to see what they do. I suspect you will see some direction change in the back. Stategically placed vortex generators (Nish sells) can sometimes help if you have reversion. Ideally, the tail would be 10 feet long to smooth the transition but that is not always practical. How big a tail fin do you plan on? While nice to have for stability, there is always a tradeoff for drag.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
Where does a guy scrounge up a fan that moves large quantities of air at 100 MPH? :?

I guess i shouldn't have quoted the air speed as I didn't measure it. I did have three fans going. They did move alot of air and gave me a very general idea of what as going on. I was pleased to say the least.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
Jack uses about a 1/2 dozen weed blowers  :-o

Jack and I have talked about the good old weed blowers. What a great guy!! He told me to try it out so I did.  In fact I had a couple of them going at the same time and they do move alot of air. It was pretty funny. The neighbors wondered what the hell we were up to. We sure have a lot of fun!!

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »
Been following the build, great work, can't wait to see it in person. Curious to see more details of the tail. As it has been said on this site often, it's how you close up the hole in the air that is important. I think you may find dirt or salt build up on the vertical area behind the rear tires where the body turns back in when you run it. It looks like a nice job radiusing that area and the back around the chutes looks great. If you have a good leaf blower it might be beneficial to put the tags in the rear and run the air in that direction along the side and top of the body to see what they do. I suspect you will see some direction change in the back. Stategically placed vortex generators (Nish sells) can sometimes help if you have reversion. Ideally, the tail would be 10 feet long to smooth the transition but that is not always practical. How big a tail fin do you plan on? While nice to have for stability, there is always a tradeoff for drag.

Thanks. We have really been having a lot of fun and have made some really good friends in the land speed racing circle. I am honored to have such great people helping and sharing their recommendations, ideas and experience with me.
The tail fin will be removeable so we can build other sizes and designs to try out. the first one will be approximately 24" tall and we intend to heep the frontal area as small as possible. Always a trade off with the air/drag vrs. horsepower isn't there. Nothing is free..  I know we have a lot to learn. As you are well aware you ask a lot of questions and you get a lot of different answers when it comes to this stuff.

I did put quite a few tags on the rear area of the car and I witnessed no reversion anywhere. I actually expected that area would have issues but it really did suprise me. All air flow so far over the entire car has been linier. But all this blowing air over the car really doesn't mean much. We will have to see what happens at speed. Things could be good or things could be bad. Wish we could afford to get it in a tunnel.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
Cool build!  From what I hear on the grapevine, there is a new tunnel being built in Utah and a lot closer for us on the West coast. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:18 AM »
Someone needs to build a truck with a long roof rack. Tufts and a camera could provide a lot of answers.  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete