Author Topic: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA  (Read 86496 times)

Offline landspeed55

New Liner Build, Fresno, CA
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
Well, it's been a while. The first thread I had for the new streamliner was lost due to a glitch or something.
Any way, on with the progress. We will be running H/BFS. We have completed the front hubs and tandem steering. The motor is being assembled by Cycle Tune here in Fresno and the rear section of the body is in process. I want to take this opprotunity to welcome ARP  to our team. They will be providing all of the fasteners for the car. A special thanks to them!!

BB

Offline Stan Back

Re: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
Do both front wheels steer?  (Is this a dumb question?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
Stan, it says tandem, I think that means both. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Easier to see.
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Eye gotta lern two reed bettre.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »
Eye gotta lern two reed bettre.

butcher righting iz stop on
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »
Yup. Both wheels steer. They actually turn in the same direction. Pretty good for a guy like me to accomplish. Shoot, I have a hard time chewing gum and walking at the same time.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »
Here are a few early pictures of the roll cage back from the original thread. 1 3/4" dia. .120" wall 4130. This was really tough stuff to bend. We were lucky to get it correct the first time.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »
Don't you just love the way 4130 welds!! Nothing like MIL Spec clean metal.  Beautiful job, and looking good!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:01:36 AM »
You had a lot of nice shots in the old thread, I looked and could not find them. I Slims guy is worth a damn he can recover the old images. Thanks for the update

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
I will post the older build pictures as we go along now. Actually, I think ist's better to start over clean anyway.

Thanks

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »
I read the old thread, but I think it will be just as good the second time around!

Great build!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
Didn't you have some seat shots?

Also, I will throw this question out. I see you tied the rear frame tube into an upright at the outside corners of the shoulder hoop in typical dragster fashion. I am getting ready to work on this part of my frame. Is this the preferred method to do this? I am thinking about how things can come apart in an event. Looking at designing in a "breaking point" should something drastic happen. Thanks, Trent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Trent, did you notice the fire bottle set up like I told you was a good idea when there is a space problem, BTW, in alll of my years I have never seen a frame failure in this area. Seen engines come out but no frame seperation.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
Hi Tman,
Good question. Hope you don't mind my long answer.
I am not sure if other chassis builders agree with the way I did this but, there is a good reason why I built it this way. In my opinion your doing great by thinking ahead incase of an event. You definitely have the right idea.
Take a look. You will notice a slight bend at each of the top rear compression frame rails just befor the tie in to those corner uprights. This bend provides a "weak" link. I perfer to call it a hinge.  This type of connection, by design, creates an area for deformation when subjected to high compression or tension forces. (Dynamic Energy Release) Hopefully diverting this energy from the driver.