Author Topic: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA  (Read 86877 times)

Offline landspeed55

Re: New Liner Build, Fresno, CA
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Someone needs to build a truck with a long roof rack. Tufts and a camera could provide a lot of answers.  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

I like that Pete!! Funny :cheers:

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Cool build!  From what I hear on the grapevine, there is a new tunnel being built in Utah and a lot closer for us on the West coast. Tony

Being built by Layne Christensen. He was at Speed Week passing out flyers. Some new aero tech will be involved - stay tuned! I told him he needs to be able to handle long, skinny thingys! :cheers:

That will be really great. Looking forward to it.
Thanks,
Brad

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2012, 01:57:49 AM »
Mounted the mock up motor and the turbo in the car. Everything is going as planned.
Also did a driver test fir tonight with the new 40 degree Hans. It works much better than the original 30 degree. The 30 degree kept me from getting my shoulders to fit firmly against the rear of the seat. Kiwi Steve spotted this problem last year when I took the car to El Mirage. Problem solved now.  Thanks Steve!!

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
"Everything is going as planned"

Ahh-- the calm before the storm  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
Looking good Brad. Can't wait to see it in person. Fun stuff the other day, huh?  :cheers: Wayno

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:04 AM »
Looking good Brad. Can't wait to see it in person. Fun stuff the other day, huh?  :cheers: Wayno

Thanks Wayno, really had a blast spending time with all you guys.  That trip really motivated me. Now that the mock up motor is in I think we can make some good progress.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:46:56 AM by landspeed55 »

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2012, 01:13:36 AM »
We loaded up the liner and took it out to Greg and JoAnn Carlson's Saturday night. They put on a great BBQ. I switched to the "fuel class" at the MOOSE CREEK BAR about ten minuts after arriving. We all had a great time talking shop. LSR is truly a lifestyle.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
We are working on the rear wheel hubs and I have also began machining the rear break rotor hub.

Offline nebulous

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Brad
 I spent some time finally.
What a great job! Nice long straight lines! You will give 788 a good run!
Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Brad
 I spent some time finally.
What a great job! Nice long straight lines! You will give 788 a good run!
Jack

Thanks Jack. We could use the body off of my car for a garage for the 788. Ha Ha.
Brad 

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »
I did make some great progress this weekend. I got the rear chain/axle adjusters finished.  I also finished the installing the parachute solenoids, cables and redundant release system. We are still in process of machining the rear wheel hubs and the break rotor hub. We are hoping to finish up the entire rear axle assembly in the next two weeks.   

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2012, 10:36:17 PM »
We worked on the tail fin the last couple of days and Tree House Dave just took it home to finish up the last of the firerglass work. I have been working on the rear brake rotor assembly. Finally got the hub machine work completed and the unit  bolted togeathr. I installed it for a test fit. Mounting the calipers will be next. I also installed the naca ducts in the engine cover. We made a pattern and layed them up in fiberglass. They turned out great. It's nice to have a couple of real productive work days where things come together.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2012, 10:53:56 PM »
I forgot. Here are a couple of progress shots of the tail fin.

Offline landspeed55

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Special thanks to both Dave Barrett and Kent Baucher. Kent fabricated the tail from wood and Dave did all of the finish shaping and fiberglass including the skirts and flanges. They did one hell of a job. :cheers:
The tail will stay on the chassis when the engine cover is removed. It is attached with bolts and sits on a 1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum mounting plate. The entire tail assembly is easy  to remove and install and is aligned via locating dowels. Another milestone completed on the new liner.

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »
Great build to follow, thank you for taking the time to post.  My questions: What size is the tail and how did you arrive at the size, what kind of calculations went into this?  Does it have an airfoil shape, if so what profile did you use?

Thank you
Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.