Author Topic: altered?  (Read 9749 times)

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
OK,,,,I think I might have it figured out.
 If I take a 34 Ford coupe body,chop an even 3in, put it on a 'homemade frame'{as long as the bottom of the frame isnt higher than the bottom of the body}, use a chevy motor, cover the stock grill, and remove the fenders, I can enter it in CGALT?
 Is there a hole in my plan that I'm not seeing?

thanks RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline fastnlo

• New folks
altered?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:31 AM »
Don't you see Rick, it's nearly impossible for someone living 1800 miles away to scratch build a car going by the rule book. I don't even know how to figure 2% of my cowl. Very few people can interpret the rule book, Dan is one of them, the rest of us are in the dark.
     I have built a car that is as safe as I know how, using the rule book, I ran race at vintage drag meets and drive it on the "street" year round (isn't that what a car is for?)but after I went to Bonneville last year I knew I could never compete against those purpose built cars.
     All I wanted to do was build a safe car, get my license for each speed class and then see how fast I could go on the Bonneville Salt Flats with a car I built, using the motor I pulled out of an old Caprice wagon over 10 years ago. I don't even want to compete against someone I don't know or with unlimited resources, in a sport that has so many interpretations and classes  and a rule book that no one seems to be able to comprehend.

Mike Warren  "Fastnlo"

Offline Bob Drury

Altered
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 12:29:59 AM »
Why don't you guys think about running for time only?  As long as you have all the right safety equipment and roll cage, you could at least see how fast you can go.  One thing to remember, once the car has been on the salt, it will never be the same...I see these fat cats driving their 150 grand steel roadsters out there, and I cringe.  You would think that if they were that stupid, that they would at least build a Land Speed Car.lol  May they Rust In Peace............
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

altered?
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 12:05:19 PM »
It's a rule book, not an instruction manual.  That car may be driven on the street where you live, but is illegal in some states, as shown.  The car classes have been well thought out over the years.  Attend a few events, ask a bunch of questions and you'll have a better idea.  Now the motorcycles -- what's that all about?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
altered
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 12:58:22 PM »
Stan, you asked about motorcycles, hell they have over 1850 classes and the rule book is full on pages of open records, a couple of pages only have one record. Don't seem fair to the car guys. Maybe they can use them to make notes on as they are blank. :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

jprovo

Re: altered
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 02:05:57 PM »
Quote from: Glen
Don't seem fair to the car guys. Maybe they can use them to make notes on as they are blank. :twisted:

I'm tired about hearing that the Bike guys have it easy because there are so many open bike records, It's not like "the bike guys" are not playing by the same rulebook, or keeping people from building bikes. Maybe if the rulebook stayed consistent, some of the bikes could actually be run in the classes that they were built for before the rules were changed. Oh well, :roll:  Life's not fair, we'll have to get over it.   :D

Offline jimmy six

altered?
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 04:29:44 PM »
I think that those of you who feel that a car cannot be built by just reading the book are being a little unfair.  Many, many cars are built this way a long way from SoCal.    Many of us answer countless questions while a person is begining their build. Each of us can guide the questioner to the right person for class rules, safety, definitions, etc: This site alone has taken away many first time inspection problems.  Inspection forms are freely given and sent out.

My personal observations has been the satisfaction of seeing a vehicle pass all phases of inspection and impounds with little or no problems on  their first attempt.  I would meet them for the first time during inspection and I would not be the one doing it.  Most have come to Bonneville at least once to look and take pictures, read magzine coverage and pictures, or bought a Bonneville program which have pictures of most of the entries.

Many of the problems are because guys are building what they like and what they want it to look like. The decision is made to put in the safety devices and run for a record and then they find out what they built only fits a very high speed record class. Remember you first built what you wanted and liked.

These rules have evolved very slowly over the last 60 years. They change very slowly and normally because of the way newer cars are manufactured. This is the same with the NHRA, NASCAR or any racing organization whether we like it or not. At least here we will let anyone run a vehicle meeting all safety specs. Try that in NASCAR, SCCA,  etc.

Many cars from other organizations are illegal with the SCTA.  Meet safety specs and run time only.  We can't scrub off speed against a wall but we do chase vehicles on fire for miles.

I love to see the new cars built. This form of motorsport is growing with at least 20 new cars every year.  

Keep building and asking questions. I'll always answer, just somethines privately.  Good Luck and sorry for another rant
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

Altered
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 05:49:32 PM »
Like J.D. said, come to Speedweek or any of the other meets, buy a rule book and READ it, and walk around and look at cars in the class you wish to run in.  I did that very thing, and everyone I asked a question from answered it.  This is the only motor sport that I know of where your competition will try and help you out, because you are only racing against yourself, and we all learn from each other.............
Bob Drury

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 09:15:41 PM »
I bought the program, read the rule/record book [you should see the dog eared wore out rag], went to Bonneville, took pictures, asked the questions,etc.,  but still get confused.
 This forum is an invaluable tool, but still has its flaws. Not every one that replys is an expert or an authority.  Yet I respect their opinion/reply.
  After eavesdropping and looking over the many pictures, I think I might have it figured out as to what I want to build,,,,,,,,I think?
  Still the uncertianty of success,,,,being rejected at the inspection tent, told that what I just spent my time and passion to build, does't fit in the intended class, is a real possibility.  1500 miles [or1800] is a long way for rejection and failure. Thats why I need to get it right the first time!

Thanks for reading, and giving your answers/opionions. I have lots more dumb questions to come.

Thanks  RICK

ps  It actually 1439 miles, but thats just one way.
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Bob Drury

Altered
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 10:36:40 PM »
Rick, you are right on about the expert thing(as my earlier posts can attest to, ulp!).  One more thing to remember, two similar cars in the same class may have different suspensions or frame designs, and the answers may be 180 degrees appart from owner to owner.  You have to imput the given info into your head and make your own choices.  The one constant is, when in doubt, contact the folks listed in the rule book.  You may not like their answers, but at least you will have the CORRECT information.  Also, as long as its legal, don't be afraid to try out something new, you may start a whole new trend!  Good luck.......... :shock:
Bob Drury

LittleLiner

altered?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 10:41:47 PM »
Rick

1436 miles!  You call that a long way?  (lol)  I am about 2188 miles from the salt flats.

I have been able to get good response from the SCTA committee with questions about my gas coupe project.  Just remember that these guys are volunteers so give them a few days to respond.

Offline fastnlo

• New folks
altered?
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 10:56:05 PM »
Well said Rick!

I have been to Bonneville to, although the weather hasn't co-operated with me very well. I have more respect for people like Dan and Jimmie Six to name a few than they will ever realize, that said, Jimmie is right I have my own vision of the the car I always wanted to build and race on the salt.

Here are more details of my car Rick, the coupe is on airbags, I can lay the frame on the ground at shows, it also has jack bolts to adjust the scrub line when driven, it also can be switched over to coil-over shocks as per NHRA drag racing rules and even though it is channeled, the bottom of the frame is still slightly below the body, it also has added tubing and X braces in the frontal area of the car (more street safe).

Here's a pic of me at Bonneville last August during the rain out (you can barely see the porta johns in the distance), I was trying to gather all the info I could before I started on the car in the fall, of course as you know all other events were cancelled to so I read the rule book again and again and started out!! My interpretation is that it would be in A/GCC,  I also read in the book that it's up to me to designate the class. I know one thing for sure, I wish it was finished!

Mike Warren  "fastnlo"

Offline Roadster943

altered?
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 02:37:16 AM »
I would just like to jump in defense of the rule book. I am 1200 mi away and a hot rod road trip turned into building a gas and fuel roadster with nothing but street car experience. I bet I read the rule book a hundred times after I decided what to build + 50 times to decide what to build.It is all in there.Like Stan said, it is not an instruction manual.  Thank God ! That is why this is the coolest thing done with cars. you can use your ideas. I did have a few questions that were answered by the tech inspectors. The result was my car went through tech the first try with no problems, one suggestion, a few compliments, and friendly welcoming attitudes. Geography may not offer all the benefits of a so cal zip code but neither can it be used as an excuse.
   Once again thanks to everyone in SCTA/BNI I appreciate what you all do to make these events happen.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger