Author Topic: Racing Experience Available?  (Read 3177 times)

Offline megolith

• New folks
Racing Experience Available?
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
Hello-

I'm hoping to find a car/team that would be willing to let me drive their car on the salt flats (not competitively). I'm interested in going faster than a standard car on the road but not so fast to set any kind of records.

In exchange, I'd be willing to sponsor the car and/or something similar that might be useful to you.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice, Curtis

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Racing Experience Available?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Curtis, as the guy that owns the site - I'll offer a comment or two and then let others chime in at they might.

First of all -- most of us with race vehicles would far sooner share our wives - or, more important, our toothbrushes -- than we would a race ride.  But now that I've said that -- you'll probably be able to find a good bunch that might consider letting you help in one way or another and end up with time in the drivers/rider's seat.  You've said a very "magic" word -- SPONSOR!!!!!  That can mean many things to many of us -- so think about defining what you're hoping to do.  Maybe ask for those that are interested to contact you off the forum - and then have an idea of what amount of sponsorship (in other words, how much $$) you've got in mind.  There used to be a "rent-a-ride team or two and they asked prices on the order of a handful of thousands, I believe - but maybe you've got a different number in mind (who knows -- didn't I hear that you recently won the MegaZillion Lottery?).  Have some idea of what you think is your ability to pay for a ride - and then, when someone writes to you offline - you'll have someplace to start  the conversation.

I'm glad you said "car".  I don't think I want you to ride my bike or use my toothbrush.  Nancy -- that's not even worth asking, okay? :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
I've seen two guys lately that are looking to add "members" or "sponsors" to their team.  The first is a turbo econo-box kinda deal that's probably good for 200mph.  Get in touch with "biglady112" on this forum if that's what you're interested in.  The other is Studebaker Avanti owned by "Avanti Dan".  See for yourself:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10930.msg183838.html#msg183838
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
I would say that the likelyhood of this decreases with the square of the speed. I think you would have no trouble finding a seat at the World of Speed 130 club. I'll let you drive my car for buying me a beer. (If I go) But then, you could just drive your own car, too.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
Megolith -

I guess my chief concern would be your qualifications to run someone else's car.  Bail procedure, chute, fire suit, qualifying for different licenses - no two cars are the same, and there are a lot of questions to answer. 

If you're looking to buy a cheap thrill, I'd find an early 90's 5 liter Mustang, rip the mufflers off and run the 130 club.  Less liability on everyone's part.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
Enough Money  :evil: makes lost of thing possible an eng partnership  You can by a eng possible of 300 + for 30-40K and be an engine partner and go over 3
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
Curtis,

You might want to expand on how fast you want to go and the type of car you are interested in driving.

A valid Drivers License would allow you to go up to 124.999 MPH as the first step of the Competition Licensing procedure. Then 149,174, 199, 249 etc. That's not even talking about any record type runs.

Going faster than a street car at highway speeds leaves kind of a nebulous starting point.

Tom

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
 I suspect most of us spend about $100 per MPH annually.   :-o  Some a lot more, some a bit less.  The faster you go, the more expensive it gets.  I don't know how fast you really want to go but if you are that interested....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Take the advice on the USFRA 130 Club. Look here: www.saltflats.com

There are plenty of people on this board that enjoy this part of the sport and are willing to share.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
SS  I do not know you could possibily spend that much I only spend a $1.00> $2.98 lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!