Author Topic: Main battery disconnect  (Read 13569 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Main battery disconnect
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
For my main battery disconnect do I disconnect the positive or the negative (ground)?  :? Seems like everything I read says to disconnect the ground first when I'm doing anything. Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Main battery disconnect
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
Ground - the grounds on a vehicle are everywhere, so you eliminate ANY possibility of a short by lifting the ground.

Discovered that one when all the Lucas smoke left my MGB.

And when I shorted out my manual temp gauge on the Midget.

And when I installed the radio on my Cyclone GT.

And when I installed a CB in my Corvair.

And when, well, you get the picture . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Thanx Chris.  :cheers: That's the way I had it figured but, it takes me four tries to install the batteries in my flashlight.  :roll: Wayno

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »
Hmm,, not the way I did it.

I have 2 batteries in the trunk.

Each battery is connected is connected to each other,,, pos to pos,,, neg to neg...

Bat 1     Bat 2
Pos >>> Pos>>> Disconnect Lug 1>>>Disconnect lug 2 >>  to front of car to main power grid.

Bat 1     Bat 2
Neg >>> Neg>>> Chassis Ground.

So when the Rear (main disconnect switch) is off,, NO power goes forward to any part of the car.

If I used a Neg Disconnect wouldn't the power still be hot to the rest of the cars and each individual ground would need to be disconnected ?  

Maybe , I am wrong,, but NEVER (knock on wood) had a problem on any Race cars I wired disconnects like this ?

Charles
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:11:08 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
I think the intent is to kill the power to the car and stop the motor, fuel system etc.
If for some chance you have an alternator on the car, disconnecting the ground will not stop the motor.

Of course, if you have a magneto ignition, the battery disconnect switch is useless.

Rule book does not stipulate shutting off motor, so why the disconnect switch on the end of car?

John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Oh, good lord . . .  :oops:  Excuse me while I wipe the egg from my face.

Charles and John have it right.  Problems arise if you're running an alternator - it remains a power source in the circuit, as long as the engine is turning - your electrical kill will only take the battery out of the circuit.  A single throw, double pole is probably the safest answer.

Standing down . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
"why the disconnect switch on the end of car?"

So they have a place to put the new, ugly sticker?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
"why the disconnect switch on the end of car?"

So they have a place to put the new, ugly sticker?

There have been many discussions about this in other organizations. I like the one who allows for the switch to be in the drivers reach, inside the car.
That will assist a emergency worker when the car is inverted or laying on the drivers side.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
Oh, good lord . . .  :oops:  Excuse me while I wipe the egg from my face.

Charles and John have it right.  Problems arise if you're running an alternator - it remains a power source in the circuit, as long as the engine is turning - your electrical kill will only take the battery out of the circuit.  A single throw, double pole is probably the safest answer.

Standing down . . .

That way I understand it is that lots of that Pommy shite has pos earth....thus when you disconnect the earth you are disconnecting the hot side. The safety switch issue is to disconnect the hot side of the battery as close as practicable to the battery itself  as there is always the possibility that that line between the ignition( or somewhere else along the line)  and the battery contacts the chassis in the event of an upset....making problems worse despite the ignition being off........

And, yes, if you just disconnect the (negative) earth there will be a hot wire everywhere.......

This my friends is just hearsay, I have little electrical experience, and fewer skills. The Colonel on the other hand does. No doubt he will pipe up soon , deride me for even replying and put this all straight. :roll: :roll: :roll:

the back of a car is a good place for those things because unless the car is standing on it's end the switch will be accessable....there could always be a cable-pull to operate it from the cab.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
I think the intent is to kill the power to the car and stop the motor, fuel system etc.
If for some chance you have an alternator on the car, disconnecting the ground will not stop the motor.

Of course, if you have a magneto ignition, the battery disconnect switch is useless.

Rule book does not stipulate shutting off motor, so why the disconnect switch on the end of car?

John

The intent of the rule at least as far as the SCTA is concerned is to have the switch in a common outside location so first responders will know where it is. The switch is to disconnect the power so that extraction procedures will not cause sparks leading to fires.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »

the back of a car is a good place for those things because unless the car is standing on it's end the switch will be accessable....there could always be a cable-pull to operate it from the cab.
[/quote]

That's the set up we are working on right now for the lakester build I am helping out on.

Ed

Offline Jon

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
Doesn't make any difference if the isolation switch is on the positive or negative main lead as long as there is no wiring running parallel to it allowing a bypass of the switch.

If either the + or the - leads are disconnected the vehicle is not "hot" as a circuit cant be completed.

If running an alternator the vehicle can run with the battery isolated regardless which side it is isolated on.

Useless trivia; electrons actually flow from negative to positive.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
Both the REMR and the Firebird will have a solid state system, with one toggle switch in the car and one in the back. No moving parts to worry about and one less thing to go wrong. ( I know all to well what can happen) Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 07:56:48 AM »
I am running an alternator so I will pay attention to that. I think I'll try to invent a wiring diagram and post a picture of it here. All I know about electricity is that it is FM. (flippin' magic)  :-P Thanx guys. Wayno

Offline gray63

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
I have installed two 4 pole Cole Herse Kill switches on my car. One is at the rear of the car for easy access for the emergency workers and one at the drivers location. ( Just because I want access to it) I originally mounted the drivers kill switch too close to the shifter and killed the engine during a 2-3 shift at Bonneville. (Not great engineering I guess) Both of the switches interrupt the negative wiring.

Dave Gray # 3611
Carlisle, Pa.