Author Topic: Rulebook general question  (Read 4003 times)

Offline wfojohn

Rulebook general question
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
Okay, this has probably been hashed and rehashed, I did a search but did not find what I was hoping to so I thought I would pose the question.

What is the reasoning behind rule books being printed so late? I go through this with multiple organizations each year and the season in each venue is almost ready to begin or already has held one or so meets/events. Since most organizations do it this way, I am sure there is good reason. Would there be anything wrong with, just for example, the ECTA requiring all rule or class changes to be submitted by ?? maybe August 1st and the rules committee having until maybe ?? September 1st and the book going to the printers so it is available for distribution by November 1st ?? Having the book earlier would not stop any emergency change to safety etc as the ECTA home page and this forum probably reaches 99.9% of the lsr people. Appreciate any imput as to why the present pattern is followed.

Offline redcatch

Re: Rulebook general question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
I would believe that the powers to be, were waiting on the SCTA rules to be published. It has always been ECTA's position to help you get your car ready for Bonneville if you so desire. A conflict or a difference in rules could result in 1000's of dollars of expense. It is one of the reason's this racer will not do the Texas Mile. The Rules are just too different. I for one am happy they do.
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
This question is asked every year. First all of the rule requests must be in written form and submitted to SCTA to review. They are addressed several times and where necessary they are changed and re submitted for final review to the board. Now this is done by a volunteer group of dedicated people. They also have a life and families, jobs etc.

It takes about four months to go through all of this before they go to the printer and back to SCTA for getting them to the clubs and members. The ones that go out in the mail take a little longer. If you are getting a rule book in February consider yourself being lucky. In years past it has been as late as April.

ECTA has the approved changes as soon as they are approved and they have a few different rules & classes then we do. ECTA has sent their rule book to the printer. I think the changes are posted on all of the assoc. web sites.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
Hi Bob and Glen,

Thanks for taking time to respond. I understand all points put forth. The heart of the question is to try to understand why the existing time line. Glen, all stated parts are understood except the calendar time frame of all persons involved in the decision making and printing lead time. Original query boils down to why not start and end the process earlier. Would there be a problem concerning the rules and safety to have the process completed 2, 4 or even 6 months prior to the start of the new calendar year? Appreciate your imput. John

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
Perhaps it is because almost ALL the involved SCTA people are RACERS.
Even with their involvement with VOLUNTEER work for SCTA/BNI or ECTA, they try to race their cars or motorbikes.  Several actually chase the championship in either venue, and of course more than several have been the champs.

I was involved in the very First issue of ECTA rule book, and it was decided then that to closely align with SCTA/BNI was extremely important other than some concessions for concrete and a little closer proximity of safety and fire vehicles. 

In some cases changes are a reaction to an incident.  The root cause for any event most times takes quite some time to identify.

You have to admit that most changes are published in open forum even before the books are finalized.
I am constantly amazed in this world of instant communication.
We are blessed.
Rick

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
I believe another aspect of rulebook delivery is How Many? the organization (should be) gauging the size of the audience receiving the Book. since membership is year to year 1/1 to 1/1 the amount of memberships will drive the number of books ordered by the printer, you kinda wait until the mailbox slows down before sending the order to the printer... after all, old rulebooks are worthless, unless your records are listed in them. :-D
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
Addressing Rick's point - - this year Dan Warner had the changes to me and I published them here on both the forum and the home page (of this site) BEFORE THANKSGIVING.  That's Five months before the first events of the year - and nine months before the first Bville event.

Could the changes be done earlier?  Probably, but then they wouldn't have the included wisdom of the season just ending.  Nah, I say, leave things the way they are now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
While project completion is often dependent on the current rule book, the review and publishing takes time to complete.  I have and I sure others have had to make changes to existing machines to comply with the new rules.   This is all part of the adventure.

Joe

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
SSS, yes, good point, changes were posted for SCTA and yes, ECTA does try to mirror.

Rick, good point on volunteers, I did my fair share at El Mirage but never chased a championship but that point and the commitment is understood.

Another good point I did not think of was the records being in the book.

John

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
While I try to publish the changes, after final approval, on various websites the SCTA rulebook publication is held for record updates from the final El Mirage event in Nov. The collection of advertiser's artwork is required so the setup person can put the book together for print. You know in advance what the changes are so it should not effect your build.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
The rulebooks are coming off the press right now...will be shipping to Tonya starting tomorrow. If you are building and looking for info, call me.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com