Author Topic: New guy need advice..  (Read 4212 times)

Offline jsantoro

• New folks
New guy need advice..
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
Hi All,

I've been wanting to go LSR for a long time. Being close to Maxton (Charlotte), it was always "next year". Of course now that Maxton is closed I find myself in the position to actually do it. I'm 54 years old been restoring bikes for years, and would like to prepare an older Triumph Triple for Wilminton. I will join ECTA and get a number but is there anywhere I can see the records, classes etc? Do I need to join any other sactioning organization, it seems there is one for every venue.  Can't find them on the web site. I know the bike would be in a pushrod class of some sort. If there's anyone in Charlotte, or close by, I'd love to buy you a beer and pick your brain.
Regards,
Jim

Offline gofast

Re: New guy need advice..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
Welcome Jim,
Go to www.ecta-lsr.com. , join and get a rule book. That is the easiest way to go. If you are going to race, you have to be a member. Loring has there rules posted on line at www.lta-lsr.com.
Good luck, ee you there.
Marcia
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
John, on the home page of this site there is a listing (upper left corner) of the various sanctioning organisations and the events.  Follow them to the sites and you'll find the basic information you need, including how to get rulebooks.

It's a bummer that you didn't make it to Maxton - with it being pretty near home for you.  But think of it this way - you'll appreciate Wilmington and Loring all the more for the miles you have to travel to get to them.

Hunh? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline don

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
This link should take you to the motorcycle records for Maxton.
http://ecta-lsr.net/?page_id=211
These are the records for Maxton, they are not for the Ohio Mile.  8-)

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
If your (gotta love 'em all) Triumph is old enough for the vintage classes, you will probably have a serious chance of taking a record. If not then you may have to run for personal goals and the incredible thrill of doing what you can with what you have.

Offline jsantoro

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
No, it's not that old. If I'm reading the rulebook correctly Vintage is Pre 1956. Mine is a 74. What is this Classic class for 1956-1984? I thought I would be running in P/PP 750/4 but not sure.
Jim

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
JSantoro,

The 2012 Rule book has some more Bike Classes,,,

Wait a few weeks it should be out by then,,,

Give me a shout some time,, I am about 75 to 90 minutes from Charlotte

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
Does anyone have contact info for Darren or Thomas Cronan?  Seems like they'd be just the folks to hook up this eager newbie.  Darren has been around motorcycle LSR for ages and Thomas is his son and one of the fastest riders out there.  "How can I make my bike go faster?"  "Put Thomas on it."  They live in the hills West of Charlotte so I don't think they're too far away from you.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
Dan:  Thomas is pretty active on Facebook.  We've got his mailing address (Christmas cards, you know):  P O Box 132, Mill Spring, NC  28756.  No phone number, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
I neither Facebook nor Tweet.  I'm an official Old Fart and really not interested.  You'll know what it's like when you get to my age (for those of you out in Interweb land, Jon is just a month or two younger than I am).  I stopped updating my technology with Email and Forums.  So I haven't bumped into Thomas in the Blogosphere (or whatever they call it).  Still think the Cronans be a great connection for Jim.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
Nancy started a Facebook page for me -- and I have yet to select to go there.  But I think you can go to see Thomas' page whether you're a member of the FB flock or not.  Not sure if you can send him a message or get phone number (pretty sure you can't) without joining up.  I'll get contact info via Nancy's membership and pm it to you.

In re: Facebook and me not joining - - I manage to stay comfortably active on the internet with this website.  Facebook seems a good way for Nancy to stay in touch with her kids, for instance, and some of her buddies.  I feel that too many folks use Facebook as an alternative to having a life of their own, though, and don't want to get mixed in with that crowd.  Yes, I know that lots of racers are active - that's not my point.  But if they want to be in touch with me - they're welcome to visit via lr.com.

Rant ends here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com